F1 2019

EnigmaRam

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say this to myself at the start of every season and I'll say it again: It should be a little bit unpredictable this year.

I really hope Leclerc and Vettel mount a charge on the Mercs to spice up the championship this year. Not sure on the midfield pack, Red Bull with Honda will be interesting. Force Point, Renault and Haas are always good for a midfield battle. Alfa Romeo should be there or there abouts this year. Not 100% sure on McLaren and Williams are just hopeless at the moment. From what I've read, Toro Rosso are pretty much running RB's aero package so may be a dark horse.

Doubt I will catch the Aussie race, but will see. The idea of getting up at 4am to watch F1 sounds like a good idea the day before but when the alarm goes off, I usually favour sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2019 at 10:17, EnigmaRam said:

And the first post is that Charlie Whiting has died. His name has been synonymous with F1 since I’ve been watching the sport.

RIP 

Very sad. In his last role as race director you'd have thought he'd have made a few enemies along the way but he seems to have been universally liked and admired. In such a high pressure sport, this is really quite surprising but he does sound like he was one of your archetypal English gentlemen, a dying breed these days, unfortunately. Even Bernie was tearful when interviewed and he's not exactly known for caring for anyone bar himself! 

It does make me wonder if Verstappen now regrets some of his potty-mouthed outbursts from last season as I think Whiting was always even handed and fair, even with drivers like Max who often acts like he's the driver on circuit. That said, one of the reasons driver specifically liked him so much was that he never held a grudge for words spoken in anger and was apparently very available to any driver who had concerns, no matter the reasons why. Patriarchal almost, without today's negative connotations of that term.

All in all, very sad but I thought the many tributes were almost all very fitting and clearly conveyed the regard in which Charlie was held. Hopefully this will have been of some small comfort to his family and closest friends. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zandvoort will need massive changes to bring it inline with the current car regulations. Some YouTuber raced against AI in the current Williams car on Zandvoort and there will be zero overtaking and one DRS zone is literally two seconds in length.

• 4 weeks later...

Vettel just spat his dummy, thrown his bottle and tipped his pram over today. 

Bottled yet again under pressure from Hamilton, has he lost his nerve against Lewis.

Funny watching him swap the 2 and 1 between his and Lewis’s car in the parc ferme. Comedy genius or petulant child.

I won't say i understand that rule completely but when it happened i immediately thought it was a dangerous re-entry, regardless of whether Vettel had control of his vehicle or not at that point.

He must be feel under so much pressure to win though.. Thought the bit when they were in the room they sit in before the podium was hilarious. 

The rule was supposed to be there to prevent drivers leaving the track and then re-joining in a dangerous manner without giving priority to other cars. As Vettel didn't appear to have the car under control as he re-joined, it seems unfair to apply the 're-entry' rule as he would have struggled to steer the car in any other direction to the one he ended up in. If he'd slowed down on the grass and then deliberately pulled accross to prevent Lewis from over-taking, he'd have been bang to rights - but that wasn't what happened.

I absolutely understand Hamilton being upset as he thought he'd pressured Vettel into a mistake and was going to get past him, only to have to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision, but an out of control car is exactly that - and so very harsh to penalise the driver for an unsafe re-entry when he didn't appear to do it deliberately (or have any other options to do something else)....

As for Vettel after the race, petulant child was my take on it - the refusdal to park his car in the correct place, storming off to the Ferrari trailer and then the most childish of all, moving the winner/2nd place markers - bloke just proving (as he has shown a number of times in the last couple of seasons) that he doesn't have the mental strength when he's under pressure. I suppose the penalty at least partly makes up for a considerable number of times that he's been let off/treated leniently by the stewards since he's been driving the Ferrari....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

The rule was supposed to be there to prevent drivers leaving the track and then re-joining in a dangerous manner without giving priority to other cars. As Vettel didn't appear to have the car under control as he re-joined, it seems unfair to apply the 're-entry' rule as he would have struggled to steer the car in any other direction to the one he ended up in. If he'd slowed down on the grass and then deliberately pulled accross to prevent Lewis from over-taking, he'd have been bang to rights - but that wasn't what happened.

I absolutely understand Hamilton being upset as he thought he'd pressured Vettel into a mistake and was going to get past him, only to have to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision, but an out of control car is exactly that - and so very harsh to penalise the driver for an unsafe re-entry when he didn't appear to do it deliberately (or have any other options to do something else)....

As for Vettel after the race, petulant child was my take on it - the refusdal to park his car in the correct place, storming off to the Ferrari trailer and then the most childish of all, moving the winner/2nd place markers - bloke just proving (as he has shown a number of times in the last couple of seasons) that he doesn't have the mental strength when he's under pressure. I suppose the penalty at least partly makes up for a considerable number of times that he's been let off/treated leniently by the stewards since he's been driving the Ferrari....

But it was his mistake that lead to his car being in a position of being out of control. I’d say this is harsh if he’s skidding on a wet patch or oil or something, totally out of his control, but his mistake put him in a position where he ended up reentering dangerously. He asked what more could he have done. The answer is that he could have not made the mistake in the first place. 

27 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But it was his mistake that lead to his car being in a position of being out of control. I’d say this is harsh if he’s skidding on a wet patch or oil or something, totally out of his control, but his mistake put him in a position where he ended up reentering dangerously. He asked what more could he have done. The answer is that he could have not made the mistake in the first place. 

True - but they applied a rule that was intended to stop deliberately dangerous driving to what effectively was a mistake. The rule they found him guilty of breaking (and therefore the penalty they gave him) was never intended to be applied to mistakes - it should have been treated as a racing incident or else they could have told him to let Hamilton pass him - as it was, they effectively killed the race.....

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

True - but they applied a rule that was intended to stop deliberately dangerous driving to what effectively was a mistake. The rule they found him guilty of breaking (and therefore the penalty they gave him) was never intended to be applied to mistakes - it should have been treated as a racing incident or else they could have told him to let Hamilton pass him - as it was, they effectively killed the race.....

I thought Ferrari could have been proactive and told Vettel to give up the place. 

He couldn't do much about his re-entry granted, but he left the track and gained an advantage imo.

If he'd have given the place up, he wouldn't have been punished and would have had a handy amount of laps left to try to reverse the placings.

If the roles were reversed, I just don't see Hamilton making the same mistake, the difference between great, and all time great perhaps?

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:04, TigerTedd said:

That's entirely my point of view too.

Also I think by keeping his foot on the loud pedal, instead of coming off it, that is making the dangerous re-entry on the track a conscious decision.

I also think Brundle is becoming a liability on Sky F1. Too many instances where he thinks he knows best.

I'm no fan of Hamilton or vettel,both come across as spoilt man children but if side with vettel over this one....he was clearly out of control and would have been little more than a passenger trying to react in a split second to the event....

But mainly I think this decision is yet another mail in the coffin for my other beloved sport....I want to see racing, competition and no small amount of skullduggery and daring do on the track.

It's just getting so bloody dull.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic Grand Prix today. Dicing right up and down the field. Hamilton peerless again and once more, Vettell has abrain fart and rear ends Verstappen. That's a record 6 British GPs for Hamilton and his 80th career win. I'm not fussed about the man's character at all. On the track he's an absolute beast.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Fantastic Grand Prix today. Dicing right up and down the field. Hamilton peerless again and once more, Vettell has abrain fart and rear ends Verstappen. That's a record 6 British GPs for Hamilton and his 80th career win. I'm not fussed about the man's character at all. On the track he's an absolute beast.

Great GP. Reckon Hamilton would have won even without the safety car. 

I think he's portrayed unfairly at times. Always comes across as likeable person to me

What a day, got back about 20 minutes ago from watching a Hammy master class, staying behind to watch the band, then cricket and to top it off met one one of the nicest and modest sportsmen I’ve ever had the pleasure of speaking with. 

Shame my mate forgot to take the front on photo but Johnny Herbert, top bloke.

A44C2963-948C-4C21-BDD6-9AA8B351F7E6.jpeg

Archived