Bradley Johnson

RiddingsRam

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Given his all whenever he's pulled on that Derby City shirt. A contract on reduced terms would be good deal all around for me.

Agreed as long as it was greatly reduced wages as lets be honest he gets slated most weeks on here so nothing special but good squad member 

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

Johnson has played well the last few games, but to me it stinks of a player playing for a new contract scenario, you see it all the time in football. We are meant to be building a younger side. Johnson will be on huge wages, we can’t afford to keep giving out new contracts to older players who are on big wages. We need to get rid of the likes of Anya, Bryson, Johnson, Butterfield and Nugent. Not because they’re bad players, but we need to start building a team for the future and they don’t fit. Only give new contracts to those older players who have been consistent and deserve it like Keogh as an example.

TBF to Johnson, he was our best midfielder during a run of games earlier in the season, and Frank seems to able to get the best out of him.  If he would be willing to take a pay cut, I'd gladly give him a years extension, with the option of another.  On the flip side if he wanted to chase one last big payday, I'd wish him all the best.  One thing is for sure is that when he's fully on it, he's a valuable assist and gives us something the rest of our midfield doesn't.

I like Johnson and he has played well when called on this season.

For me it's about the team fit, though; at various times he has been played in a blend that hasn't worked.

I think that his last few games have showed that he can complement Huddlestone's less aggressive style by adding a bit of grit and determination to our midfield. 

If he wants to stay and a deal can be worked out I would definitely keep him over Bryson because of his versatility. 

19 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd let him go, not because he's no good but because he's not really the right player for us. 

Yes, just a very average player. Probably had one 'flash in the pan' season with Norwich, so they snapped our hands off at the ridiculous fee offered. 

It is not rock hard to stop Derby scoring or to get an equaliser from a cross against us. Not enough desire to win or to push forward for me. Probably ten teams play more watchable football than us a lot of the time. Playing out from back simply let's opposition set up defensive positions. Not enough guile in our team to break through. Also we are crepe suzette when crossing the ball. COYR

Johnson has done ok since coming back in. But he’s not the reason for the upturn in performances. He’s in his thirties, one of our highest paid players, not a natural holding midfielder (although he’s better than George Evans), not quick enough to be box to box therefore struggles in a 4-3-3, doesn’t have much technical ability. He can be physical and is good in the air, not enough to keep him for me. We need to move forward and Bradley being out of contract gives us an opportunity to do that.

14 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

All these suggestions of he will be easy to replace ! With who ? And for what price ? If he signs a new contract , on lower wages it's a no brainer. The way the market is these days your going to have to pay £4-£5 million or you will end up with someone like George Evans ?

Why resign him?

so we can have another couple of years of average inconsistent service ???

Ask anyone how much they knew about Robbie van de laan , Daryl Powell and Robbie vdl 

all signed for peanuts even back then after the millions we had spent on pembridge and co 

I’m sure some of us here could name a couple maybe of possibilities but I’d hope as a football club and manager frank had privy to a bigger pool and scouting network 

There plenty of teams around us and below that have signed their equivalents to Bradley for a fraction of the price so it’s clearly possible 

54 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Why resign him?

Ask anyone how much they knew about Robbie van de laan , Daryl Powell and Robbie vdl 

all signed for peanuts even back then after the millions we had spent on pembridge and co 

I’m sure some of us here could name a couple maybe of possibilities but I’d hope as a football club and manager frank had privy to a bigger pool and scouting network 

There plenty of teams around us and below that have signed their equivalents to Bradley for a fraction of the price so it’s clearly possible 

We swapped Lee mills for Van Der Laan, he'd got a fair few goals for us so not many were happy at the time .  You never really know how a signing will work out.  What a great signing he was.

Whilst we do look a better team with Johnson in currently, we should absolutely not be offering him a new deal. He's a short term sticking plaster when we really need long term solutions.

His strengths (aerial ability & tenacity in the tackle) are hardly rare qualities in midfielders & the reality is we need players who can do the above but that are also mobile & are technically decent/able to find a simple pass.

Add into the mix his age & his likely high wages (we signed him from Norwich whilst they were a Prem team & less than a year after he had played a key role in getting them up), I just don't see the argument for him staying.

Just becuase we have signed a load of **** for highly inflated prices in recent years, doesn't mean that there are not good players out their from foreign or lower leagues that we could get on the cheap whilst being a lot better than Johnson . I am hoping our scouts are busy now looking at players from League 1/ SPL and around Europe trying to find bargains, becuase I am sick of crap signings every season.  The only signing I would say from the permanent deals in the summer that has been a success is Marriott and even he hasn't been that successful as we don't play to his strengths and don't give him any support either as the midfield isn't good enough to feed him properly.  Holmes has potential, but I am undecided on him so far as he seems like a 10 and we are playing him mostly out of position and he is inconsistent with his final ball, plus his shooting is poor.

26 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Just becuase we have signed a load of **** for highly inflated prices in recent years, doesn't mean that there are not good players out their from foreign or lower leagues that we could get on the cheap whilst being a lot better than Johnson . I am hoping our scouts are busy now looking at players from League 1/ SPL and around Europe trying to find bargains, becuase I am sick of crap signings every season.  The only signing I would say from the permanent deals in the summer that has been a success is Marriottt and even he hasn't been that successful as we don't play to his strengths and don't give him any support either as the midfield isn't good enough to feed him properly.  Holmes has potential, but I am undecided on him so far as he seems like a 10 and we are playing him mostly out of position and he is inconsistent with his final ball, plus his shooting is poor.

Holmes is good  as well especially when not on the wing.

But back on topic regarding Johnson - get rid! A horrible footballer who gives the ball away as often as Butterfield used to make a back pass. I am sure we can find someone with his physicality but a bigger football, brain without shelling out a large fee.

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Why resign him?

It's a gamble though , signing an unknown or even someone known but never played at this level. For example I like Pelly Ruddock at Luton , similar player to Bradley , let's say we take a chance on him . It's going to cost upwards of £2 million plus £10k a week over a minimum of 2 years . Even if Bradley signs a new deal for £20k a week it's still the better option.

22 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Huddlestone for me. 

Drop Johnson and we go back to being completely lightweight.

Although I notice Huddlestone is improving in that respect and actually nearly won an aerial challenge against 5'2 Ryan Woods last night, obviously something he's been working on since only being able to match 5'0 Barry Banan in their aerial duels 3 days previous. 

Only player I've ever seen who loses height when he jumps is huddz ?

He might be worth another 12 months but we really need to rebuild where possible with younger players and lower wages.

Trouble is, we can't afford any fees. Anything and everything we spend has to be raised through sales.....and we are running out of players to sell.

Until Bird, Sibley, Elsnik, or Evans are ready then keeping huddz and johnno might be the pragmatic option.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He might be worth another 12 months but we really need to rebuild where possible with younger players and lower wages.

Trouble is, we can't afford any fees. Anything and everything we spend has to be raised through sales.....and we are running out of players to sell.

Until Bird, Sibley, Elsnik, or Evans are ready then keeping huddz and johnno might be the pragmatic option.

Some don't get that 'we need to sell to buy' equation. As the saying sort of goes, buy in haste repent at leisure

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We swapped Lee mills for Van Der Laan, he'd got a fair few goals for us so not many were happy at the time .  You never really know how a signing will work out.  What a great signing he was.

Oh totally 

lee mills ...

god there’s a blast from the past

good memory sir 

Archived