Sign in to follow this  
MallyRam95

Lawrence more central

6 hours ago, MallyRam95 said:

Waghorn and Holmes out wide, with Mount, Wilson and Huddz in the middle

Are you suggesting Lawrence as the striker? He isn't capable of playing there as he can not head the ball.

I like Lawrence, I think he is a good player and gets too much stuck from some fans, his position is LW though. 

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Are you suggesting Lawrence as the striker? He isn't capable of playing there as he can not head the ball.

I like Lawrence, I think he is a good player and gets too much stuck from some fans, his position is LW though. 

No mate I'm suggesting he plays CAM/CF as he did at Ipswich, he scored a belter with his head against Reading though? And playing football on the floor means you very rarely have to head the ball!

9 minutes ago, MallyRam95 said:

Yes, because Josefzoon and Bennett are so much better....

Not much worse though considering game time

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MallyRam95 said:

No mate I'm suggesting he plays CAM/CF as he did at Ipswich, he scored a belter with his head against Reading though? And playing football on the floor means you very rarely have to head the ball!

over your head superman GIF

Rynny is pointing out that you've got too many players on the pitch

-------------------Huddz

--------------Mount------Wilson

Holmes-----------------------------Waghorn

------------------Lawrence?

I can see where you're coming from though.  Didn't he play more central against Southampton in pre-season when he scored a brace??  I'd like to see him in a 

------Huddz/Johnson-------Mount

Wilson------------Lawrence----------Holmes

-----------------Waghorn/Marriott

But unless we're chasing a game, Frank sticks with his 4-3-3.

There is a player in there somewhere for sure.  Don't know if it's a confidence thing with him, or his on the pitch IQ is a little low.  Either way it's up to the coaching staff to figure it out.

Edited by ramsbottom

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

over your head superman GIF

Rynny is pointing out that you've got too many players on the pitch

-------------------Huddz

--------------Mount------Wilson

Holmes-----------------------------Waghorn

------------------Lawrence?

I can see where you're coming from though.  Didn't he play more central against Southampton in pre-season when he scored a brace??  I'd like to see him in a 

------Huddz/Johnson-------Mount

Wilson------------Lawrence----------Holmes

-----------------Waghorn/Marriott

But unless we're chasing a game, Frank sticks with his 4-3-3.

There is a player in there somewhere for sure.  Don't know if it's a confidence thing with him, or his on the pitch IQ is a little low.  Either way it's up to the coaching staff to figure it out.

In the last three games we've lined up as 4231 with Huddlestone and Johnson holding in the recent two, Bird and Evans against Villa. Given the mids available i can understand why

I think having a fluid three behind the main striker would serve us better, especially whilst Mount is out and Hudds and Johnson are nailed on starters again.

Hudds Johnson
Wilson Holmes Lawrence
           Waghorn

Sub in Marriott for Waghorn and Bennett/Jozefzoon for any of the three.

Arguably, the only natural winger of the bunch is Jozefzoon - at least he was when he played for Brentford!

I remember when we played with the following for a brief period:

Savage Green
Cywka Bueno Commons
            Kuqi

It worked really well with the three swapping positions and I have seen it in plenty other teams since. It keeps defenders on their toes forces the three to keep on the move, which lends itself to more fluid passing play. 

There's a lot of creativity and goalthreat in that three - hopefully we'll see more of it again soon.

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In the last three games we've lined up as 4231 with Huddlestone and Johnson holding in the recent two, Bird and Evans against Villa. Given the mids available i can understand why

My bad, I totally ducked that formation up 😂😂😂

Playing in an attacking wide role and deciding its not in the job description to get to the bye-line and deliver a decent cross is the biggest cop out in modern football.

any numpty can cut inside and have a shot or run into traffic. It doesn't take long to rumble that.

The skill is the ability to get behind the defence, and deliver a killer ball to a striker facing goal, whether thats in the air or a low ball.

P.s. an overlapping full back should be a bonus, rather than a necessity.

Always though of him as a 10, hope he eventually gets a run there and starts to justify his price tag.  With Mount and Wilson we could probably play a diamond with 2 up top IF we needed something different. 

9 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I think the problem is, we have too many players who's 'best' position is down the middle.

Getting the balance right is the answer but what that is with the current squad is quite the mystery.

Lawrence has the potential to be a very good player in any of the forward positions if only he did the simple things and be a team player.

Too many times he tries to go it alone for glory when the pass is a better option.

My personal view obviously. 

Agree 100% josezoon can play there, so can Mason so can Waggy. 

I do think that we need a decent 10 to come and find the ball as wel as filling that mythical hole. Who it is I don’t know but Our mids aren’t imposing themselves high up the pitch. Vydra learned to drop deep to get it. It’s our missing ingredient when we don’t do enough front foot midfield play

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Playing in an attacking wide role and deciding its not in the job description to get to the bye-line and deliver a decent cross is the biggest cop out in modern football.

any numpty can cut inside and have a shot or run into traffic. It doesn't take long to rumble that.

The skill is the ability to get behind the defence, and deliver a killer ball to a striker facing goal, whether thats in the air or a low ball.

Top post 👍🐏

mind you I yearn for a full back winger combo. Done probably it’s difficult to beat and creates chances. 

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Liverpool haven’t done too badly with their pair of numpty’s Salah and Mane, Salah averaging 0.5 crosses per game, Mane 0.1. 

For what it’s worth Lawrence averages 0.4.

Not really a skill getting to the bar line pumping balls into a box with a 5ft something striker to get on to, knowing we can’t go high it wouldn’t take long to rumble low balls into the box either. Clean those up for days.