Lawrence more central

MallyRam95

Is it just me that thinks Lawrence would be 10x better playing more central? I.e behind Marriott/Waghorn. He's always cutting and and drifts more central anyway. If you watch his season at Ipswich playing CAM, arguably his best position and season so far.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem is, we have too many players who's 'best' position is down the middle.

Getting the balance right is the answer but what that is with the current squad is quite the mystery.

Lawrence has the potential to be a very good player in any of the forward positions if only he did the simple things and be a team player.

Too many times he tries to go it alone for glory when the pass is a better option.

My personal view obviously. 

Lawrence isn’t a get to the bye line and put in a cross guy. On Saturday it almost looked like a 4231 (maybe it way??‍♂️) if we play like that, you have Mount, Lawrence, Wilson & Holmes who can all rotate around the positions, which could be good....obviously only 3 on the pitch at a time.

11 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I think the problem is, we have too many players who's 'best' position is down the middle.

Getting the balance right is the answer but what that is with the current squad is quite the mystery.

Lawrence has the potential to be a very good player in any of the forward positions if only he did the simple things and be a team player.

Too many times he tries to go it alone for glory when the pass is a better option.

My personal view obviously. 

I do agree with you, but 0 times this season has Lawrence been tried behind the striker. Yes we do have Mount, Waghorn, Wilson etc. Which backs your statement of too many wide players. 

And yeah, a lot of the time he takes the wrong option but already beating last year's goal tally and he's missed around 10 games due to injury!

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Lawrence isn’t a get to the bye line and put in a cross guy. On Saturday it almost looked like a 4231 (maybe it way??‍♂️) if we play like that, you have Mount, Lawrence, Wilson & Holmes who can all rotate around the positions, which could be good....obviously only 3 on the pitch at a time.

Lawrence is the player who likes to receive the ball 40 yard out and take the man on and get a shot in 20 yard out, look at his season at Ipswich, was banging them in for fun! 

Waghorn and Holmes out wide, with Mount, Wilson and Huddz in the middle

3 hours ago, MallyRam95 said:

Is it just me that thinks Lawrence would be 10x better playing more central? I.e behind Marriott/Waghorn. He's always cutting and and drifts more central anyway. If you watch his season at Ipswich playing CAM, arguably his best position and season so far.

I think he'd be 10x better playing - Just playing anywhere at all - At the moment I think of him as a perennial sicknote ?

5 hours ago, MallyRam95 said:

Wide.

We've seen it with Ince previously, and more recently at times, Wilson. When you're out wide, it's much easier to receive possession, especially in space. This allows you to affect the game and be in the game, you have choices to drift in and get it or make the run wide. However, when you're central, you struggle to find the space to operate and can be completely anonymous for large portions of the game. You have to be a very technically great player to play in those holes, with a great brain and an equally great first touch. We've not seen many capable of it at Derby for a long time - maybe Bueno? Ince had success occasionally, but it was highly dependent on how stretched the game was.

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Wide.

We've seen it with Ince previously, and more recently at times, Wilson. When you're out wide, it's much easier to receive possession, especially in space. This allows you to affect the game and be in the game, you have choices to drift in and get it or make the run wide. However, when you're central, you struggle to find the space to operate and can be completely anonymous for large portions of the game. You have to be a very technically great player to play in those holes, with a great brain and an equally great first touch. We've not seen many capable of it at Derby for a long time - maybe Bueno? Ince had success occasionally, but it was highly dependent on how stretched the game was.

That why people always think wingers are better central because when the game is stretched they look better. But it's a very specific situation. 

There's good reason they constantly get put on the wing. 

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

When was the last great cross he delivered?

P.s. any club will do.

He tried the whole passing and crossing thing for a bit. Bagged himself some 3 and 4 star performances before going back to "showing promise".

He's an alright player that's getting better by not being involved in some of the cack performances we've put in lately. 

I wouldn't say we are better off without him but I don't see how we are much better with him.  

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

When was the last great cross he delivered?

P.s. any club will do.

Can barely remember a good cross anyone puts in for us would be the first point to that, the second point would be that's not what he's asked to do. He's asked to cut in, play more of an inside forward... he's not asked to get to the byline and deliver - mainly because we don't have a striker taller than about 5ft 10.

For what it's worth, he's a good player in this division. He's a player opposition managers, players and fans would be weary of containing when playing us, and would likely be thankful if he isn't playing - whether all that is warranted is debatable, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't the case.

He gets a lot of unfair stick for being one the few players we have who can try and make things happen, whether from a shot, cross or beating a man (last one there being something we're generally bereft of elsewhere). No it won't always come off, but his role is to attempt these things because we don't really have many players capable of the extraordinary (Wilson, maybe). It can make him look wildly inconsistent (which you could certainly argue Wilson has been too), but I'd love people to name wide players in this league, or even in the lower reaches of the Premier League that they would consider to be consistent - they're as rare as rocking horse poo at this level due the nature of the role.

6 hours ago, MallyRam95 said:

Waghorn and Holmes out wide, with Mount, Wilson and Huddz in the middle

Are you suggesting Lawrence as the striker? He isn't capable of playing there as he can not head the ball.

I like Lawrence, I think he is a good player and gets too much stuck from some fans, his position is LW though. 

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Are you suggesting Lawrence as the striker? He isn't capable of playing there as he can not head the ball.

I like Lawrence, I think he is a good player and gets too much stuck from some fans, his position is LW though. 

No mate I'm suggesting he plays CAM/CF as he did at Ipswich, he scored a belter with his head against Reading though? And playing football on the floor means you very rarely have to head the ball!

12 minutes ago, MallyRam95 said:

No mate I'm suggesting he plays CAM/CF as he did at Ipswich, he scored a belter with his head against Reading though? And playing football on the floor means you very rarely have to head the ball!

over your head superman GIF

Rynny is pointing out that you've got too many players on the pitch

-------------------Huddz

--------------Mount------Wilson

Holmes-----------------------------Waghorn

------------------Lawrence?

I can see where you're coming from though.  Didn't he play more central against Southampton in pre-season when he scored a brace??  I'd like to see him in a 

------Huddz/Johnson-------Mount

Wilson------------Lawrence----------Holmes

-----------------Waghorn/Marriott

But unless we're chasing a game, Frank sticks with his 4-3-3.

There is a player in there somewhere for sure.  Don't know if it's a confidence thing with him, or his on the pitch IQ is a little low.  Either way it's up to the coaching staff to figure it out.

Archived