Bob The Badger

Who do you think will finish 6th

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

You all seem to be putting a lot of faith in Villa. They were great against us, but they are where they are for a reason. They’ve not been consistent at all. 

With Grealish back from injury they're a different proposition.

3 hours ago, ramit said:

We will limp into sixth place and then we go on and win it.

No one is expecting that, so we being Derby, that's what will happen.

Anyway, Mel said he'd sell if we don't and we can't have that.

Exactly this. Place your bets now. Penalty shoot out all the way. Keogh with the winner! 

I wouldn't bet against any one or two of Boro, Bristol, Derby not finishing in the top six. West Brom probably just about safe.

I expect Villa to finish in the top six. 

Maybe even Forest to sneak in on the final day.

We've got our work cut out, that's for sure.

Mount and Lawrence cannot be considered anywhere near match fit so their influence will not be great for several games. I reckon we are destined for around 8/9 (so close as usual could be a goal difference thing for position between 7 and 12th). I feel Forest could sneak in.

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I suspect the top 5 *may* be clear, but who knows as Boro still have to win their games in hand to separate themselves and West Brom seem intent on scuppering their own chances.

But that 6th place is up for grabs.

Just checked the remaining fixtures of the 'obvious contenders' for 6th place (ignoring the current top 5 and then Preston down) for who has to play 'top ten' sides

Villa - Forest, Boro, Wednesday, Bristol C, Leeds, Norwich

Forest - Villa, Wednesday, Sheff Utd, Boro

Bristol City - Sheff Utd, Boro, West Brom, Villa, Derby

Wednesday - Villa, Forest, Leeds, Norwich, Bristol C

Derby - Bristol C, West Brom

Essentially we're definitely not getting top 6... Waaaaayyyyyyy too easy a run in on paper...

34 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Mount and Lawrence cannot be considered anywhere near match fit so their influence will not be great for several games. I reckon we are destined for around 8/9 (so close as usual could be a goal difference thing for position between 7 and 12th). I feel Forest could sneak in.

Didn't seem to hold Grealish back against us and he'd been out for longer!

We need severe improvement, otherwise I'm not fussed. We will come up against one of Norwich/Leeds or Sheffield United in the PO semis and it will be similar to last season against Fulham. Villa have the team to finish strong, so I'd back them to do it. Mings has been an excellent signing for them. 

We don't have the GD, either, so could even finish on the same points as 6th and finish 8th or even 9th! 

A win tonight, a good win at that, would be huge for confidence. Bristol keep slipping up, bottling it worse than us, whilst Middlesbrough/West Brom look far from convincing. Although, saying all this, I'd still bet the top three will be the three that goes up just one will have to do it the hard way. They've really set the standard this season. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Didn't seem to hold Grealish back against us and he'd been out for longer!

I see your point, but Grealish is head and shoulders the best player in this division, Mounts form had been dipping before he got injured and Lawrence, well best not say anything.

I really hope both come really good, but even if as individuals they do, its more upset to the team structure. Maybe we'll get an inkling with Lawrence tonight.

Has to be Villa for me, they score goals for fun and are building momentum with Grealish back. If they sure up the defence then they will be my picks to make the play offs and win it. Grealish and Abraham will be very hard to stop.

Posted (edited)

Rams in top six somewhere.

Agreed about Villa but a couple of wins and shock defeats and the whole picture changes.

1 in 6 teams finish in the playoffs.

1 in 4 of the above hit form and get promoted regardless of overall season performance. 1 in 24 overall.

1 in 12 get promoted on merit.

1 in 8 get relegated, also on merit.

3 in 4 stay put to start again next time.

1 in every 4 teams is new to the Championship.

No wonder it’s such a tough division!

Edited by Brummie Steve