Sign in to follow this  
philmycock

The Yard Pub

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Even when i did manage to get in once, it was impossible to get to the bar, so i gave up and left.

the problem with PP it that the concourses are grim. Ok no worse than most other grounds but the whole thing looks like the interior of a prison. All concrete and painted blockwork. There's hardly anywhere to even put a drink down. Certainly nowhere to sit. Its locked into a pre-hillsborough "all fans are potentially violent idiots " mindset. 

You seem to know a little too much about what the inside of a prison looks like.

Just tag people and put them under surveillance,

If you leave the ground early your barred.

If you boo your barred.

If you groan your barred.

If you shout SHOOOOOOOOOT your barred.

And just have a secret passageway that takes people from the entrance back into the stands or onto the concourse,that should thin the crowds.

Even when i did manage to get in once, it was impossible to get to the bar, so i gave up and left.

the problem with PP it that the concourses are grim. Ok no worse than most other grounds but the whole thing looks like the interior of a prison. All concrete and painted blockwork. There's hardly anywhere to even put a drink down. Certainly nowhere to sit. Its locked into a pre-hillsborough "all fans are potentially violent idiots " mindset. 

What concourse has seating arrangements?

14 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

For a few years, they had a row (6?, maybe 8?) of stand seats in the NE Corner concourse (with a rather fetching mural of the players on the wall behind).

Think they removed them before the start of this season though, for some reason?

There's also a couple of tables, which occasionally have chairs to them.  Oh... and a bar football table!

This is in the kiddies corner though.  They also have a sweetie barrow!  ... and face painting!

17 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’d be surprised if any do, concourses are designated fire escapes and I would have thought therefore won’t be allowed tables and chairs as these could be classed as an obstruction.

Plus you put seats in and you take up room from others, it’s a football game, seats and tables in the concourse FFS, we will be asking for waitress service for our prawn sandwiches next 🤣

Its locked into a pre-hillsborough "all fans are potentially violent idiots " mindset.

Bang on (except you need an apostrophe in it's). Go to Twickenham or the like and they turn the concourse into a party zone after the game. All you need is some student with a guitar and a mike singing Wonderwall and you're in business. Not sure why more clubs don't do this - surely it's the way to go.

@RamNut how about this for a concourse? Plenty of seating to enjoy a half time glass of Chardonnay, able to watch your hot dog being cooked by a 5* Delaware chef, maybe a little Jazz playing in the background to help build the atmosphere ready for the second half.

open-kitchen.jpg

They could very easily put some canopys and a few tables in that bar area at the back of the SS, which would make it a better area, sell some decent beer at reasonable prices, put a marquee up behind the east stand, that would make the match day experience better, Bristol was a great example of what you can do. 

Also a band SETTING UP in the yard after the game?

why would the band not be ready to start on the final whistle, or before the game like everywhere else ever?

Went in only once after a game and it was packed, waited 15 minutes to get served and lots of blokes in front waving £20 notes so we thought "bugger this" and went to The Alex which had as many staff on as it did ales. Even had some banter with some Hull fans on their way back when we played them.

For me The Yard looks like it should be a totally separate venture as it doesn't really fit in with the pre-match experience. If you want to eat before the game as well, can't we set up some quick, cheap fast food stalls people can buy from before the game? 

It's like the roof idea as well, I'd rather PP stay as our sacred ground rather than a multi-use, multi-functional arena where one day you have Little Mix playing the next it's match day -- takes the shine away. Of course I'm not at all clued up with any financial  benefits.