Derby County v Stoke City

Bwash_Ram

Well done to Frank and the boys. Great performance by the whole team - not bothered about the result too much - just glad to see us fighting for the points again. 

And ive no idea how Butland finds himself playing in the Championship. Single handedly kept Stoke in that and set up one of their only chances. Without him we would have absolutely pasted that team. Hope a Prem team buys him for next season.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Hold up strikers are so last decade, game has moved on, pressing high up the field is how FL wants to play and for that we need a certain type of player. It will take a couple of transfer windows but we are going the right way, the injuries in midfield has hampered us more than the switching of the two strikers.

CM was brilliant for us, but he needs to find a team that plays to his style, no coincidence that he finds himself on the bench so often now, and the problem with him is that he needs to play every week. S

Pretty pointless bringing waghorn in then if that's the case.

He's even less mobile than Martin.

I'd suggest,in response to your final point,that all of the strikers need to be playing regularly both for their match sharpness and so that the rest of the team supporting them have half a clue what they are up....Marriott and waghorn are both suffering from that problem.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah its fair comment but just wondered what would make you believe that? 

Martin doesn't really suit our style of play because he doesn't chase down defenders the way Waghorn and Marriott do.

Didn't see much of that last night. Plus if we did it didn't work. ?

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

Less mobile? No chance. The only thing less mobile than Martin sadly is Thorne.

You've not seen him playing for Hull then? Looks pretty mobile (and even thin!) Scored last night too, sort of chance Nuge has been missing...

52 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Nice to see the old Martin bashers out. Bit strange they seem to revel in mocking him. It makes me wonder what he ever did to upset them. ?

I have a few theories, and with some actual reasons that I have seen people put;

1- score against forest. It seems that even some average players it gives them a hyped up recognition (see Marcus Olsson)

2- we didn't get promotion, so it is his fault because he is the striker and he didn't score more goals.

3- he doesn't run around like a headless chicken, chasing after a ball that he is never going to get. 

4- he is mardy. They see him throwing a strop when he isn't passed the ball, when his team mates needlessly give the ball away, when his team mates take stupid shots and miss. (reality is he wants to win as much as the fans and isn't happy when we lose)

5- he falls over easily

6- he chews chewing gum whilst playing

7- he is past it/not very good.

13 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

have you even seen waghorn play for us.

god bless him but hes like a little dumper truck chugging about and normally in completely the wrong place.

TBH I reckon Waghorn and Lawrence wide and Chris through the middle would easily frighten Championship defences and score a few!

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

have you even seen waghorn play for us.

god bless him but hes like a little dumper truck chugging about and normally in completely the wrong place.

I don't think you can fault Waghorn's effort but he does seem 'off it'. His ability to control the ball, 'read' the game and make the right pass at the right time does not appear to be there at the moment. Hopefully he'll be firing on all cylinders after the break. Waghorn 'coming good' could be the difference between us making the Play-Offs or not.

Martin isn't here currently (unfortunately IMO) so it seems a bit pointless to make comments on him.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Remarkably high scores for a nil-nil home draw against a mediocre Stoke side but the pattern is right. Holmes and Lawrence gave us a bit of impetus at least, even though the execution wasn’t always there.

I did think it writing it tbh but on another day it’s a 3-0 win we just couldn’t score

3 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I don't think you can fault Waghorn's effort but he does seem 'off it'. His ability to control the ball, 'read' the game and make the right pass at the right time does not appear to be there at the moment. Hopefully he'll be firing on all cylinders after the break. Waghorn 'coming good' could be the difference between us making the Play-Offs or not.

Martin isn't here currently (unfortunately IMO) so it seems a bit pointless to make comments on him.

i think waghorn is pretty ok but out of sorts as you say....all of our attackers confidence seems at a low ebb for whatever reason.

i think our attackers management has been lamps definite weak spot and whther thats down to mason being absent,injuries or lack of gametime is a mystery but they are all struggling at the moment.

our defence has massively improved from watching the last few matches so its time to concentrate on the front three.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

TBH I reckon Waghorn and Lawrence wide and Chris through the middle would easily frighten Championship defences and score a few!

Think Martin would work better with Marriott than Waghorn personally. Martin was at his best when he had quick players around him like Russell and ward who would stretch the game and mean they’d be more space for Martin to operate. 

2 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Nice to see the old Martin bashers out. Bit strange they seem to revel in mocking him. It makes me wonder what he ever did to upset them. ?

Tbf who’s actually bashing him? I’ve only seen people saying he isn’t the answer right now, which unless you’re one of the couple of deluded Martin super fans, is clearly the truth. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good player, just that he wouldn’t make any difference to our team now. Marriott and waghorn are 100% better players than him now, out of form but to suggest Martin is better (faster?) than those two at present is laughable.

A few years ago yes but those days are gone and I think a few on here need to get that in their head so they stop unfairly criticising our current players because their name isn’t Chris Martin and they want their beloved back...

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Pretty pointless bringing waghorn in then if that's the case.

He's even less mobile than Martin.

I'd suggest,in response to your final point,that all of the strikers need to be playing regularly both for their match sharpness and so that the rest of the team supporting them have half a clue what they are up....Marriott and waghorn are both suffering from that problem.

Personally think Waghorn is more mobile than Martin, I’d probably agree that neither he or Marriott are as good as playing that lone striker role, however I don’t think Martin is a player that looks good coming off the bench as he needs match sharpness.

Plenty of players are the same, they need to be playing week in and week out, otherwise they lose their match sharpness or fitness or both. This for me is why Martin hasn’t got regular game time recently, and why he also struggled earlier in his career, he needs a run of games and isn’t an impact sub.

I don’t think he is finished, is any less mobile than when he was playing at his peak, but unless he finds a team to fit his style of play and make him the focal point of the team, he will continue in the vain he has done recently.

I also don’t think he is the answer for us either, because of these reasons, doesn’t make me a hater, thought he was one of the best forwards in a derby shirt I’ve seen, however I also liked Rob Hulse and also don’t think he is the answer either.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Tbf who’s actually bashing him? I’ve only seen people saying he isn’t the answer right now, which unless you’re one of the couple of deluded Martin super fans, is clearly the truth. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good player, just that he wouldn’t make any difference to our team now. Marriott and waghorn are 100% better players than him now, out of form but to suggest Martin is better (faster?) than those two at present is laughable.

A few years ago yes but those days are gone and I think a few on here need to get that in their head so they stop unfairly criticising our current players because their name isn’t Chris Martin and they want their beloved back...

I'd probably bracket myself as a super fan of his but definitely not deluded. It's pretty obvious that his time here is done unfortunately. That doesn't stop me appreciating what he did whilst here. Without getting drawn in the whole debate once again, I just don't get the smug derision that some seem to thrive on. @AdamRam seems to sum the situation up the best in his post above. I'm probably being too idealistic thinking we could just all appreciate his past efforts, wish him the best and move on. I realise that is never gonna happen though. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You've not seen him playing for Hull then? Looks pretty mobile (and even thin!) Scored last night too, sort of chance Nuge has been missing...

I have nothing against Martin, but he scores his second of the season and is heralded as the messiah. I didn't want him gone but things like this are madness. I'd rather we looked to the future.

Archived