Derby County v Stoke City

Bwash_Ram

Both Vydra and Martin took time to settles and even then a change of system to suit their style before they played well.

Martin would suit our style away from home, we do need a hold up man, unfortunately though we can’t mould a team around him as we found out to our cost when he got injured and we had no one to replace him. He also can’t even get into the first 11 at the moment, it’s alright heralding him as the saviour, but given he has been at two or three teams now shows he is not the answer. 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Topram said:

So just got home.

Really unlucky not to get the 3 points, personally think it was one of our best performances all season as a team, some really good individual performances from Lawrence, Malone, Holmes and Bogle who looks back too his best, no matter where we finish It would be nice for us to preform like that for the remaining games just score 2 or 3!! Can’t really fault anything though! Nice to see the young lads getting a run out sure Mel will be happy to see his big investment in the youth squad finally be used! 

Roos 8 didn’t have much to do, comands his box well 

Bogle 9 brilliant kept McLean in his pocket very strong going forward

Keogh 8 solid as always 

Tomori 8 makes little mistakes but his pace always helps him make up for it, got a massive future 

Malone 8 big fan, gets forward well wins headers settled in well

Johnson 7 battled well did the ugly stuff always seemed to be their 

Huddlestone 7 calm composed doesn’t give the ball away as much playing further forward! Worked well

Holmes 9 brilliant little player, snip at his price so calm on the ball always sticks to his feet. 

Wilson 7 works hard just needs a goal to get him going again

Lawrence 9 worked his socks of battled for everything even with him not being 100% fit, runs with the ball something we need!

Waghorn 7 battled but hard up against 2 cavemen! 

Ratings like we won but unfortunately we didn’t but plenty to build on! COYR

Remarkably high scores for a nil-nil home draw against a mediocre Stoke side but the pattern is right. Holmes and Lawrence gave us a bit of impetus at least, even though the execution wasn’t always there.

We should be building the team around a proper hold up striker,it's the best way for this system to operate,as we have seen in the past.

Unfortunately we haven't,as we keep flip flopping between Marriott and waghorn and the team clearly struggles to work effectively as a coordinated offensive unit as a result....they really don't seem to have any idea where the striker is going to be...and waggers is generally in the wrong place anyway.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For majority of his appearances Waghorn has played out wide, none of the above did.

Your search second paragraph is a huge leap of faith with pretty much nothing to back it up.

In the few occasions they did plausible together, Vydra and Martin never worked from memory.

Like I said ‘I believe ‘

Watched the game back this morning, mainly to focus on Wilson. I dont think we will miss him next season, our attacks break down more often than not with him. He also gives it away cheaply, he is a luxury player with a bit more work rate. His left foot, we might miss though.

Chris Martin should come back and would be a better option off the bench than Nugent in my opinion. Has any ever thought of trying 3 - 5 - 2 with Marriott and Waghorn together. Mount and Wilson in the middle with a holding midfielder. Bogle and Malone would suit wingbacks.

21 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We should be building the team around a proper hold up striker,it's the best way for this system to operate,as we have seen in the past.

Unfortunately we haven't,as we keep flip flopping between Marriott and waghorn and the team clearly struggles to work effectively as a coordinated offensive unit as a result....they really don't seem to have any idea where the striker is going to be...and waggers is generally in the wrong place anyway.

Hold up strikers are so last decade, game has moved on, pressing high up the field is how FL wants to play and for that we need a certain type of player. It will take a couple of transfer windows but we are going the right way, the injuries in midfield has hampered us more than the switching of the two strikers.

CM was brilliant for us, but he needs to find a team that plays to his style, no coincidence that he finds himself on the bench so often now, and the problem with him is that he needs to play every week. 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Like I said ‘I believe ‘

Yeah its fair comment but just wondered what would make you believe that? 

Martin doesn't really suit our style of play because he doesn't chase down defenders the way Waghorn and Marriott do.

Him and Vydra have never proven that they could work together.

The system would have to be changed to accommodate then and that could affect other players.

Not saying you are wrong but I don't agree that it would have us above any of the current top 3 personally.

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Agree with that, it helped the fans aswell was a good atmosphere last night which if the players show that fight and spirit of chasing everything then it can be a great atmosphere 

Actually thought the atmosphere was pretty dire compared to the last few games. 

13 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Our attack has been so poor this season apart from occasional inspired performances like vs West Brom,  we are crying out for someone like Rob Hulse or a Mitrovic type player, we haven't got a prayer of promotion becuase of our lack of cutting edge and ability to score off crosses.

our lack of cutting edge and inability to score off crosses has managed to get us into a play off position though hasnt it ?

5 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

our lack of cutting edge and inability to score off crosses has managed to get us into a play off position though hasnt it ?

We relied heavily on wonder goals from Wilson, now these have dried up we are struggling to maintain our positon in the play offs.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We relied heavily on wonder goals from Wilson, now these have dried up we are struggling to maintain our positon in the play offs.

An exaggeration I think if you look at the facts. The only game we have won as the result of his wonder strikes is against Swansea, Reading you may also argue he got the winner, but we haven’t been heavily dependent on his goals.

Just been reading through the Stoke forums. 

Highlight of the season appears to be taking 4 points off Derby (or 5 as one person added ?)

I was very pleased with the performance.  Bradders introduction seems to have enabled the front 4 to have more freedom and gave room to play the ball into feet through the middle.  Shame we cant quite finish in the final third!

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Chris Martin has been absolutely useless for near on 2 years. There I said it 

Scott malone has as many goals as him this season. Anyone who thinks he’s the answer now needs to give their head a wobble, someone like him in his prime maybe, but Martin is milesssss away from what he used to be.

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Both Vydra and Martin took time to settles and even then a change of system to suit their style before they played well.

Martin would suit our style away from home, we do need a hold up man, unfortunately though we can’t mould a team around him as we found out to our cost when he got injured and we had no one to replace him. He also can’t even get into the first 11 at the moment, it’s alright heralding him as the saviour, but given he has been at two or three teams now shows he is not the answer. 

Hold up man alright ,,, dick Turpin would be proud of martins last contract robbery ,,,

??

3 hours ago, Topram said:

Agree with that, it helped the fans aswell was a good atmosphere last night which if the players show that fight and spirit of chasing everything then it can be a great atmosphere 

Must be joking. Totally silent all game.

5 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

This is all true but we could conceivably be 9th going into the break as Villa, Preston and Forest all have winnable games on Saturday.  

Thought I might have an ACCA on these three winning and knocking us down to 9th, thought I may as well get rich on our failure, but the odds were only 9-1. Five thirty eight have us a 33-1for promotion. 

Archived