The Frank Lampards Versus The Owls: In a Nutshell

Ellafella

1.       It was Saturday and Wednesday at a chilly, wind-swept Pride Park; the flags a-flappin as Edward & I surveyed the environs from the Fans’ Park. Familiar faces in their familiar places; great to see Blackbeard return to perambulating the perimeter and 87 year old Owl Roy Hattersley ambling by.

2.       Some not so familiar too…a cacophony of sycophantic Rams scrambling for selfies with a Mr Tango. “Mr Tango, can I have a pic ppplease?”; “Mr Tango, could you just take your shirt off and thrust your belly more towards me...and hold it!”. “Mr Tango are you available for a Bar-Mitzvah next Tuesday in Chaddo?”. Funny how I always have to show my Rams Season Ticket to get in to the tent but a baldy 27 stone, man covered in Owls tattoos and faintly coloured orange manages to avoid detection? Should Mel have a word with Security I wonder? No matter, the game’s nothing without the fans.

3.       There’s a good crowd (28.5k) as Private Ram and his scarlet soldiers march handsomely across the pitch and a good noise from both sets who embark on a bouncing competition…did we steal that one too?

4.       A corner on 10 minutes from Holmes is flicked to the far post where Johnson soared like a blurry white soaring thing to hammer home with his head. 1-0 Rams.

5.       Poor Mason; a bright start and lively until a groin strain lays him low. From worldy-strike to stricken down in 5 days; cruel mistress Madam Football.

6.       The rest of the first half is a scrappy scrap save for a great run by Jayden Bogle, a hot knife through Wednesday butter before feeding Waghorn who was clean through and would’ve scored but for the tangle-foot affliction again!

7.       Early 2nd half Rams look tatty and Wednesday sense redemption…a needless free-kick given away wide-left, a brilliant Barry Bannan ball and an un-marked Iorfa bullet-heads home. 1-1.

8.       Wednesday nearly steal the lead but for the ref to adjudge that Winnall had kicked the ball out of Carson’s hands when he’d gathered it split-seconds  earlier on the ground.

9.       Rams re-group and dominate the last 20. Marriott and Nugent in a 4-4-2 and there’s pace and movement. Johnson then Marriott then Holmes all sting Westwood’s fingers and Malone clatters the upright with a thumper of a shot which bounces away to Wednesday safety.

10.   Then the move of the match as Tomori cues a slide-rule pass out to Bolgle who skills the Wednesday rear-guard and slips it to Holmes whose pass was dummied by Marriott for Bogle to curl one towards the goal but for another finger-nail-tipped save from Westwood.

11.   In a must-win for Rams, 1-1 was fair and the positives: we created plenty of chances late-on to have won, Jayden Bogle was top-drawer – pace, power, skill. He will score soon.

12.   Sssstoke City is now a must-win if we are to stay 6th.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

11.   In a must-win for Rams, 1-1 was fair and the positives: we created plenty of chances late-on to have won, Jayden Bogle was top-drawer – pace, power, skill. He will score soon.

12.   Sssstoke City is now a must-win if we are to stay 6th.

Being pedantic in point 11 you've said that it was a must win game but below you've said Stoke is now a must win game.

So it actually wasnt a must win game then or am I getting confused. 

16 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Being pedantic in point 11 you've said that it was a must win game but below you've said Stoke is now a must win game.

So it actually wasnt a must win game then or am I getting confused. 

I think in a run of 3 home games @Inglorious 2 wins and a draw is acceptable for us to stay in contention. I myself thought before the game that the more-likely win would be against Wednesday so it was a "must-win" with Stoke being a "must not lose". Given yesterday's outcome and after consulting my Graham Taylor Compendium of Football Idioms* ("what you have to do against these today is win and therefore what you cannot do against these today is lose") , Stoke is now therefore a "must win" rather than a "must not lose". 

* FWIW my favourite is "Very Few of us have any idea whatsoever of what life is like living in a goldfish bowl, except of course for those of us who are goldfish".  Graham Taylor, RIP. 

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think in a run of 3 home games @Inglorious 2 wins and a draw is acceptable for us to stay in contention. I myself thought before the game that the more-likely win would be against Wednesday so it was a "must-win" with Stoke being a "must not lose". Given yesterday's outcome and after consulting my Graham Taylor Compendium of Football Idioms* ("what you have to do against these today is win and therefore what you cannot do against these today is lose") , Stoke is now therefore a "must win" rather than a "must not lose". 

* FWIW my favourite is "Very Few of us have any idea whatsoever of what life is like living in a goldfish bowl, except of course for those of us who are goldfish".  Graham Taylor, RIP. 

Liking it. I only mentioned it as must win game has got to be the most over used hackneyed and clichéd phrase used on this forum.

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Liking it. I only mentioned it as must win game has got to be the most over used hackneyed and clichéd phrase used on this forum.

True. But, at the end of the day, don't you just love football cliches. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

10.   Then the move of the match as Tomori cues a slide-rule pass out to Bolgle who skills the Wednesday rear-guard and slips it to Holmes whose pass was dummied by Marriott for Bogle to curl one towards the goal but for another finger-nail-tipped save from Westwood.

Adding to the pedantry of @Inglorius - It was Nugent who dummied it - Marriott was waiting for it in the box and had a little moan at Bogle because he might have been better placed for a right foot shot than Bogle's attempt with his left

Great save though and Bogle well within his rights to have a crack having created the whole thing AND made a decent effort of it

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Adding to the pedantry of @Inglorius - It was Nugent who dummied it - Marriott was waiting for it in the box and had a little moan at Bogle because he might have been better placed for a right foot shot than Bogle's attempt with his left

Great save though and Bogle well within his rights to have a crack having created the whole thing AND made a decent effort of it

Thank you @cheron85. I debated with myself who it was and I did think originally it was Nugent...

2 hours ago, Roboram said:

In a nutshell it was a game either side could have won, but neither side showed enough quality to do so.

Yes two teams of similar ability. I expect Steve Bruce will have Sheff Wed seriously competing for promotion next season. 

All in all Both Frank and the sheffield tv commentators agree 1-1 is a fair result. 

Both keepers earnt their corn yesterday. 

Overall I prefer the RamsTV commentary  to the Sheffield TV one ( whatever the station is called. A bit too hyperbolic for my taste - similar to the excesses of Radio Derby but worse !)

Their passion = driving SWFC onwards.

But hey as Frank says "a tough match" and we move on.

Looking at the fixtures Bristol do play Tuesday  AND we dont play til the next day.

ie we could be out of the top six before we next kick off - crazy ! 

1 hour ago, mozza said:

Now where's that Vic and Bob image?

Top post,  @Ellafella worthy of it's own thread. 

Anyhow @mozza and @Ellafella, I'm just sat in Inverurie watching the boats coming in and coming out and if I'd of posted the same sort of thread, it would have been merged into the appropriate thread faster than either of you two can type Jack Flash or Otis Redding's Tash. Different rules for posters, different rules for the big clubs and the little clubs. Different rules of media exposure for the big clubs and little clubs. Different rules that will mean Mason's Bennett's goal will not be over seen by the masses unless he grows a Tash like Otis Redding's............

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Not everybody wants to wade through pages and pages of “as it happens” @Inverurie Ram. Some people want a short version. 

Totally agree I see the big thread now has 350+ posts. I once made the mistake of having the big thread posts bounced to my email inbox. clogged up my inbox for days. My heart sank when I saw the 400 reports waiting for me to read. 100 posts later I just about knew all thoughts about team selection. Once a train has left the station knowing it was 5 mins to kick off at 2.55 is dull too.

yes nutshell posts could have their use. If I ask for a proper roadmap to the perfect nutshell post a long waffley thread of its own might be allowed ?

Roadmap - a term which has its pros and cons.  

setting a word range between X and Y word count is good. 

please dont bloat this thread.

lets have a new nutshell thread ?

Archived