Anyone remember Chaddesden Chip Shop?

sawley_ram

One for Chaddesden people I think, but I was wondering if anybody remembers The Beaufort Diner? It was a chippy on the corner of Beaufort Street and Notts Road in Chadd. My great grandmother used to run it for decades. There was the main chippy at the front and a diner-type thing at the back with a piano. Used to serve all sorts of characters including a huge man who used play blues on the piano, the local coppers, Rams fans on their way back from games. My great, great grandmother used to deal with the cash in the back!

There are some pictures in the family somewhere but other than that I've never seen any references too it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our family used to run the Normanton Hotel Pub, like your chippy we used to serve all sorts of people to & the police couldn't get enough of the place, 120 odd of them visited in one session once, without even making a booking.

Don't think they liked the service though, because we had to shut up shop after they"d left....But I do think they liked a lot of our customers, because they took most of them with them.

48 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Still open I think?

Thanks yes it is -- it was sold to Greeks originally, then became a few different places, then it got hit by a car now it's re-opened as the one in your pic. I'm interested in any memories of it when our family owned it though. It was in the family around 100 years.

Yes it's still there, but was closed (and boarded up) for a good year or so after a car went through the frontage.

I live 2mins walk away, and pass it on a daily basis, but haven't been in since it re-opened... more due to marital contracts and expanding waistlines than by choice, I hasten to add!

I've been in this exact area since the early 80's, and not too far away for the previous 20 years, but don't recall a sit down diner.  I wasn't even aware it ever had one, so it would be good/interesting to see those pics.

Obviously before my time (b. 1963)... so I can't help with anything of interest to you, Sawls.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes it's still there, but was closed (and boarded up) for a good year or so after a car went through the frontage.

I live 2mins walk away, and pass it on a daily basis, but haven't been in since it re-opened... more due to marital contracts and expanding waistlines than by choice, I hasten to add!

I've been in this exact area since the early 80's, and not too far away for the previous 20 years, but don't recall a sit down diner.  I wasn't even aware it ever had one, so it would be good/interesting to see those pics.

Obviously before my time (b. 1963)... so I can't help with anything of interest to you, Sawls.  Sorry!

Ah well thanks for sharing! My mum was born on Francis St. in '64 and my gran was born on Beaufort St, but they had moved to Spondon by the early '70s... not too far apart there.

Maybe the diner was there further back than I think... I'm seeing my gran on Sunday so will ask her to dig the photos out. Her mum (my great grandmother) was a big figure in Chadd at the time and quite well-known I think. Will post some pics on here when I get chance.

If I was the nominated driver I'd always drop my mates there to get chips for the rest of the journey back. One time I stopped the stylish blue Austin metro I was driving, my mates piled out and I then had to move because a fire engine was coming past. None of my mates noticed this and on their way out they piled into an equally stylish but nevertheless different blue Austin metro, much to the surprise and alarm of the elderly lady driver who was sat there.

Sith Happens
16 hours ago, dog said:

If I was the nominated driver I'd always drop my mates there to get chips for the rest of the journey back. One time I stopped the stylish blue Austin metro I was driving, my mates piled out and I then had to move because a fire engine was coming past. None of my mates noticed this and on their way out they piled into an equally stylish but nevertheless different blue Austin metro, much to the surprise and alarm of the elderly lady driver who was sat there.

Reminds me of a very similar thing that happened when i was a nominated driver back when younger. I had an old MK1 Cavalier, light blue but under certain lights at night it almost looked white.

Went to the chippy in Belper, was getting chips only to hear a big commotion outside and someone threatening one of my mates cause he had got in the back of his car, my mate was protesting that it was mine, which you could sort of get, it was a white chevette which did look like a small cavalier. I could have forgiven him this, but to be honest the big shaggy dog on the back seat he was sat next to munching on his chips really should have tipped him off that something was wrong.

Sat waiting (parked up in my works van) for Muckerette to finish work... she gets in a different van 10 yards away (different make/model, but same shade of white, to be fair!).  Apparently, after an initial 7 seconds of stunned silence, the conversation went something like:

"You're not my husband, are you?"

"No!"

"Oh!  Nice meeting you though."

Women are funny things, we parked at chip shop near Tesco's in Swad, came out of chippy five minutes later, she's trying the passenger door handle on a 16plate Vauxhall Astra, we own an 07 plate Ford Focus. 

Archived