Our love for Derby County

Curtains

I don't think I can compete with any of these first game posts, especially @Mucker1884! Just about brought a tear to my eye that one! So many stories from older members of the family which have been passed on to my generation.

I do vaguely remember the BBG when it was still there but I think it was around the time PP had just been built. My dad was a popside Ram and a season ticket cost about £18 I think (?) in the mid-70s? My great grandmother used to own the chippy on the corner of Beaufort Street and Notts Road in Chadd -- used to serve the Chaddo Rams after games.

The first game I ever ever went to was in 1998 long after all that at the age of 7 nearly 8. Don't remember too much about it other than that it was very LOUD, there were lots of blokes "boozing" and it ended 0-0. It might have been Arsenal? Then the drive back in the MG Montego with the talking dash. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first season was 1960-61, standing in the Normanton end with my Dad, then later in the boys pen with my mates.

Saw some great players but my favourite was Bill Curry, a striker (or centre forward in old money). He bagged 20 times that season in 33 games. Ian Buxton played as well and there was always an argument every year between DCFC and Derbyshire CCC as he played for both and the seasons always overlapped by a few weeks and both tried to claim him..

First game I went to was in 1965 with my Dad and Grandpa.  My Grandpa lived about a mile away from the BBG and was a steward at the BBG on match days  We used to park outside his house and walk down to the ground, me carrying a fold-up stool that my Dad had made for me.  

First game was on the Popside, but I was too small to handle the way the crowd used to sway like a tidal wave so we relocated to the Normanton End Lower tier.  Wooden flooring with barriers that I could stand on my stool in front of.  Felt as safe as houses there. I can still remember the whiff of cigarettes mixed with Bovril drifting up the stand,  

Fast forward thirty years and it was my Dad, me and my son taking the all too familiar trek down the road to the BBG for my son's baptism.  He's now 32 and remains a fervent fan.  Too many memories to pick out one game, but the Benfica game at the BBG under the lights in '73 sticks in my mind as rather special.

5 hours ago, Meowduck said:

My first season was 1960-61, standing in the Normanton end with my Dad, then later in the boys pen with my mates.

Saw some great players but my favourite was Bill Curry, a striker (or centre forward in old money). He bagged 20 times that season in 33 games. Ian Buxton played as well and there was always an argument every year between DCFC and Derbyshire CCC as he played for both and the seasons always overlapped by a few weeks and both tried to claim him..

Can you remember Eddie Thomas and Derek Draper and Gordon Hughes ! 

Loved those days. 

51 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Fast forward thirty years and it was my Dad, me and my son taking the all too familiar trek down the road to the BBG for my son's baptism.  He's now 32 and remains a fervent fan.  Too many memories to pick out one game, but the Benfica game at the BBG under the lights in '73 sticks in my mind as rather special.

After a further 10 years or so, my daughter was brought into the DCFC family.  Tomorrow, all 3 of us will be there hoping......

10 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

3-3 draw in the FA Cup at the BBG against Sheffield Wednesday in March 1993, when I was 8. I went with my uncle on the bus of the Heanor Supporter's Branch.

My main memories are Shane Nicholson's 35-yarder that pinged back off the crossbar and in off the keeper's foot (it would been either Pressman or Woods), being at the front of the stand and having to peek over the advertising hoarding, and the crazy eyed, white hair, snuggle toothed guy next to us who was giving Pembridge absolute dogs abuse for the entire 45 minutes he was on our side of the pitch.

Coincidentally, it was all 26 years ago today. 

That Was a great game.  

Nicholsons goal was spectacular 

Archived