Our love for Derby County

Curtains

23 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm like this even in our own league.

Couldn't tell you where we are in the league, who's behind or in front, apart from Bristol!

Yeah I'm like that these days. 

15 or 20 years ago I'd be able to tell you everything about our opponents. These days I don't even know who is manager of half of our opponents. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I'm like that these days. 

15 or 20 years ago I'd be able to tell you everything about our opponents. These days I don't even know who is manager of half of our opponents. 

Same.

People rave (on here and elsewhere) about certain prem and euro superstars, and I've never heard of most of them, let alone know who they play for!

Not watched MotD since we came back out of the Prem, and only watch Champs Leagues games if I'm in a Spanish bar, which usually being end of May, means the final!

I didn’t really start off as a Derby County fan; more of a football fan.

Loved watching the World Cup in 66 on tv and started going to watch Alfreton with a girl friend when I was about 12. Followed Derby from afar on tv (14 miles was a long way to a broke teenager whose dad didn't like sport at all!)

When I met a bloke who was a regular supporter I tagged along and 45 years later we are still there together.

I am more enthusiastic these days than ever.  I had a long time not attending football after the scary days of the 1980s when I had some awful experiences so in some ways I am still fairly new to the 'matchday experience '!

Returning to a modern stadium where I feel safe rekindled all my love of the game and even eventually got me going away again on a regular basis. I love our club and not just the first team. Watching our young players develop either on Rams TV or in person; we really are very lucky to have the access we do to all aspects of the club in present times.

As @Curtains says, there's no better feeling than when that ball hits the back of the net and I am going to keep going to matches as long as I can. As you get older you have to enjoy life and I certainly enjoy being a fan. 

my dad took me too the baseball ground once to show where it was...i think it was 1970 or 71...it was against newcastle...it was pouring with rain and we lost 1-0.... nothing new there then...but after that i went on my own...he used to drop me off at the train station and id catch the ramaway all over the country.Can you imagine letting a 12/13 year old go to London on there own to watch a football match nowadays lol

The Baseball Ground 1958 , v Grimsby Town , Third division North . A friends dad took us in his car , we parked in Litchurch Lane . It was a soggy damp afternoon , and we stood in the Boys enclosure , my mate had a rattle !               Derby won 3 - 1 . Bearing in mind this was 60 years ago , the facts could be somewhat different !

My first Derby game was at home to Reading. Can't remember what year. We drew 2-2 and Seth Johnson scored twice.

Was in love with the club after that.

I got to sit with the Radio Derby team at the time (got the tickets through a relative who worked at Radio Derby at the time). I sat with Ross Fletcher, who was brilliant. So friendly. Also sat next to Gary Rowett, who was fantastic. Constantly asking me questions about the game and whether I was enjoying myself. 

He didn't ask me for tactical advice. Maybe he should've ? 

My dad took me to BBG when I was 10- 67 years ago! I thought it was fantastic, especially as none of the boys in my class had ever been to a ‘proper’ football match , and here was a mere girl being taken! We didn’t go often, distance and expense limited us, but I was always so excited to go and spend time just me and my dad. He’s long gone now but the pride when I was able to take him and my sons was immense. Then taking grandchildren and I took my great granddaughter to the pre season friendly v Southampton.

So Derby County means great memories and family togetherness for me. I’m not very interested in other football, will watch occasionally if it’s on tv and nothing else to do. But mention the Rams and I’m all ears and can’t get enough of it! The internet has been a fantastic help in keeping up to date and this forum feels like an extra family - some you disagree with, some you feel affectionate amusement for, some you marvel at how much they know!

It’s only in the last few years I’ve been able to afford a season ticket and sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the effort, but in the end it’s my football club and I’m bound to it by bonds that seem unbreakable!

I’ve come over all emotional , but it’s late and I’m old and female.

COYR

Mine was when I was 5/6 and it was a friendly at the Baseball Ground against Man Utd. I believe Solksjaer scored, maybe a hattrick, and we left early. I should have known then what the future held out for me. 

My first season ticket was 2002-03: we won the first game 3-0 and I thought that it would be a piece of piss. It wasn't. It was a horrible season by all accounts, with a lot of changes on and off the pitch. My first away game was that same season - the 3-0 loss to Forest at the City Ground. 

I was born in Rose street just 10 minutes walk from the BBG .My dad took me to my first match we stood(he stood me perched on a crowd barrier)i remember couple of years later going on my own into the boys end a guy called Alf Baker dressed all in black and white encouraging the kids to cheer  to whirl their rattles around like mad buggers.So my love affair with the mighty rams began,although to be fair vivid memories began a little later.1956/1957 season oh what a season the rams were rampant.What a team Adlington (Beckies grandad))in goal Barrowcliffe and Marin(Ray not Chris lol) full backs the mighty Ken Oliver or rubber neck as the fans called him what a header of the ball Albert Mays at wing half (snooker player of almost pro standards) Martin McDonald defender who play a number of games with 2 broken ribs Jack Parry inside forward  what a penalty taker Ray 37 goals that season at cernter forward and my name sake Tommy Powell best player i have ever seen able to control the ball like magic.We won the 3rd Division North that year.Heres 62 later and still hoping to see those glory days return

4 hours ago, Frogram said:

The Baseball Ground 1958 , v Grimsby Town , Third division North . A friends dad took us in his car , we parked in Litchurch Lane . It was a soggy damp afternoon , and we stood in the Boys enclosure , my mate had a rattle !               Derby won 3 - 1 . Bearing in mind this was 60 years ago , the facts could be somewhat different !

only thing you got wrong was score Derby won 3-0 jack parry hat trick. BTW Jack had 4 brothers all played pro football brother Ray also played for England.Jack play 20 years for us( now theres a loyal player) Apparently once he was being checked for concussion after a match the trainer Ralph Hann asked him he knew where he was Jack replied yes Wembley just bear Brazil 2-0 i scored both lol

6 hours ago, angieram said:

I didn’t really start off as a Derby County fan; more of a football fan.

Loved watching the World Cup in 66 on tv and started going to watch Alfreton with a girl friend when I was about 12. Followed Derby from afar on tv (14 miles was a long way to a broke teenager whose dad didn't like sport at all!)

When I met a bloke who was a regular supporter I tagged along and 45 years later we are still there together.

I am more enthusiastic these days than ever.  I had a long time not attending football after the scary days of the 1980s when I had some awful experiences so in some ways I am still fairly new to the 'matchday experience '!

Returning to a modern stadium where I feel safe rekindled all my love of the game and even eventually got me going away again on a regular basis. I love our club and not just the first team. Watching our young players develop either on Rams TV or in person; we really are very lucky to have the access we do to all aspects of the club in present times.

As @Curtains says, there's no better feeling than when that ball hits the back of the net and I am going to keep going to matches as long as I can. As you get older you have to enjoy life and I certainly enjoy being a fan. 

Angie dont worry even if you have to stop the love dont die you should hear me shouting at the TV even at my age

3-3 draw in the FA Cup at the BBG against Sheffield Wednesday in March 1993, when I was 8. I went with my uncle on the bus of the Heanor Supporter's Branch.

My main memories are Shane Nicholson's 35-yarder that pinged back off the crossbar and in off the keeper's foot (it would been either Pressman or Woods), being at the front of the stand and having to peek over the advertising hoarding, and the crazy eyed, white hair, snuggle toothed guy next to us who was giving Pembridge absolute dogs abuse for the entire 45 minutes he was on our side of the pitch.

Coincidentally, it was all 26 years ago today. 

1 hour ago, REDCAR said:

Some bloke with a box selling replica orange Bass sponsored shirts in the B stand “concours”, begging my dad if I could have one.

Loved that shirt,that kit is my earliest memory of a Derby shirt and Alan Biley was my hero as he looked like a rock star. I’ve no idea to this day if he was any good.

Around 1958 , a small group of us 10 year olds decided it would be a good idea to go and watch a Rams training session . We set off from Chellaston with only a frozen Jubbly in our pockets for sustenance , and arrived at the Barracks (I think ) via a long slog over Sinfin Moor .       We pestered the players as they came off , some lighting up ciggies , and I got the signatures of Parry , Straw , and Barrowcliffe plus others   .  There was a right rollocking waiting when I finally arrived home , my parents considered Sinfin Moor to be a dangerous place      , I never did really find out why      !

Archived