Overheard in the stands

jono

Two great blokes sit behind me. (I’ll call them Bob and Mick ) Good knowledge of the game, constant banter between each other and with those around them but they do sometimes sound like the two old gents from the muppet show.

Remember the first half counter attack break we had .. Marriott with the ball steaming up the pitch, can’t remember if it was Waghorn or Wilson running with him. Two defenders and the goalie were all that was between them and an opener. Everyone else trailing in their wake

conversation behind me goes like this

Bob ( desperate tone in his voice ) “Lay it off Jack, lay it off .. he’s with you !!!!!!”

Marriott passes ( not a great ball but ) defenders step in attack dies

Bob .. “oh Jack Mate, you should have gone on your own, you didn’t need to pass, gamble lad gamble !!!!!”

BIG LONG PAUSE 

Jim .. “Bob, you told him to lay it off”

Bob.. “Did I, I can’t believe I did”

BIG LONG PAUSE

BOB “oh, (embarrassed mutter ) I did didn’t I, ..... well we both got it wrong then didn’t we”

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Strange co-incidence - my other half calls the two who sit behind us Waldorf and Statler.

You're not my husband, are you? ?

laugh laughing GIF

@jono £500 and I won’t tell her you’re both using the same IP address, it’s not extortion, it’s entrepreneurship 

Early 90s ( I think) there was a run of games, quite a long run as I remember where we kept conceding goals just before half time and also just before the 90 min mark and invariably losing the games. 

One evening match v Barnsley we were 3-1 up with 5 mins to go and one lad sitting in front on me on Ossie End lower stands up and yells " Come On Derby...we can still win this"!! Love the wit of the football fan. 

is there a thread here called 'funniest thing you've ever seen/heard at a derby game?' there should be. 

being rubbish seems to bring out the best in footy fans. 

i remember sitting down in the pop side during a drubbing by liverpool and singing "we're the c-stand in disguise"

Without doubt the funniest thing that I ever saw at a game was at the end of the Play-Off semi final against Blackburn in May 1992. The only thing is that as time has gone on I've started to think I imagined it as only my brother and I seem to have seen it or can recall it.

I was in the Baseball ground Columbo Terrace, as Blackburn celebrated in the centre circle getting to Wembley for the play-off final at our expense.

The odious David Speedie had been giving it to our fans all game and at the end we watched some big tall guy, long dark hair, a brown jacket and jeans run on to the pitch from the Vulcan Terrace area. He was fist pumping the Derby fans and we were all cheering him.

He did no other than run into the centre circle and one-punch Speedie who went down, to much applause before running back to the Vulcan terrace, fist pumping to applause again!

Now did we imagine this or did any other Derby fans share this comedic episode with us?

I'm sure I read later that Speedie came round and hit an employee or another Derby fan and landed himself in trouble.

Apologies in advance if my middle aged memory is not working, or perhaps the hallucinogenic properties of Lager that evening gave way to this tale........

20 hours ago, jono said:

Two great blokes sit behind me. (I’ll call them Bob and Mick ) Good knowledge of the game, constant banter between each other and with those around them but they do sometimes sound like the two old gents from the muppet show.

Remember the first half counter attack break we had .. Marriott with the ball steaming up the pitch, can’t remember if it was Waghorn or Wilson running with him. Two defenders and the goalie were all that was between them and an opener. Everyone else trailing in their wake

conversation behind me goes like this

Bob ( desperate tone in his voice ) “Lay it off Jack, lay it off .. he’s with you !!!!!!”

Marriott passes ( not a great ball but ) defenders step in attack dies

Bob .. “oh Jack Mate, you should have gone on your own, you didn’t need to pass, gamble lad gamble !!!!!”

BIG LONG PAUSE 

Jim .. “Bob, you told him to lay it off”

Bob.. “Did I, I can’t believe I did”

BIG LONG PAUSE

BOB “oh, (embarrassed mutter ) I did didn’t I, ..... well we both got it wrong then didn’t we”

What’s more confusing is that he thought it was Marriott when it was Wilson. And how do you mix Wilson up with Waghorn? ?

8 hours ago, NewhallRam71 said:

Without doubt the funniest thing that I ever saw at a game was at the end of the Play-Off semi final against Blackburn in May 1992. The only thing is that as time has gone on I've started to think I imagined it as only my brother and I seem to have seen it or can recall it.

I was in the Baseball ground Columbo Terrace, as Blackburn celebrated in the centre circle getting to Wembley for the play-off final at our expense.

The odious David Speedie had been giving it to our fans all game and at the end we watched some big tall guy, long dark hair, a brown jacket and jeans run on to the pitch from the Vulcan Terrace area. He was fist pumping the Derby fans and we were all cheering him.

He did no other than run into the centre circle and one-punch Speedie who went down, to much applause before running back to the Vulcan terrace, fist pumping to applause again!

Now did we imagine this or did any other Derby fans share this comedic episode with us?

I'm sure I read later that Speedie came round and hit an employee or another Derby fan and landed himself in trouble.

Apologies in advance if my middle aged memory is not working, or perhaps the hallucinogenic properties of Lager that evening gave way to this tale........

the little rick had it coming

Archived