U23s v Wolves @ Pride Park 17/03/19, Free Entry

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby have been absolutely superb in the first half, I'd go so far as to say it's the best half of football I've seen from any side this season.

All over this Wolves team of European imports, chance after chance being created and swarming all over them when we lose possession.

Just a shame it's only 1-0 when 4-0 would be a more fitting reflection of that half.

???

It was flippin' freezing in the wind watching that today but a typical cup tie.

Both keepers deserve the plaudits - Wolves' for keeping them in the game and Barnsey for ensuring our victory. 

It might have been a bit nail-biting at the end but we thoroughly deserved the win.

Darren Wassall has done a great job with our academy, largely thanks to the investment from Mel too!

It's currently within the top 3 at U23 level and top of the league at U18 level. They've got a great reputation for playing the game the right way, plus we're seeing the fruits of their labour at a first team level now. It's worth noting that we could have well played Thomas, Lowe, Elsnik & McAllistair had they been at the club and Bogle had he not been so important for the first team.

He gets a hard time for his brief time as manager, despite the fact he had the highest win percentage (aside from Mac 1) of any Derby manager in history with more than 15 games to their record. It's fair to say that he may well be very under appreciated by the majority of supporters with regards to his coaching ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get snapped up soon enough. 

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Darren Wassall has done a great job with our academy, largely thanks to the investment from Mel too!

It's currently within the top 3 at U23 level and top of the league at U18 level. They've got a great reputation for playing the game the right way, plus we're seeing the fruits of their labour at a first team level now. It's worth noting that we could have well played Thomas, Lowe, Elsnik & McAllistair had they been at the club and Bogle had he not been so important for the first team.

He gets a hard time for his brief time as manager, despite the fact he had the highest win percentage (aside from Mac 1) of any Derby manager in history with more than 15 games to their record. It's fair to say that he may well be very under appreciated by the majority of supporters with regards to his coaching ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get snapped up soon enough. 

Well said, I'm surprised at how little attention our academy's success is drawing. To be in those positions in the leagues and decent progress in cups is staggering for a championship club. Almost all of the premier league clubs are hoovering up players at U18 and U23 levels from Europe and beyond and to be achieving so much against is fantastic.

From watching on Rams TV, I have found the u23 games highly entertaining over the last 2 years and that's including last season, when they played a different style to the first team. 

It'll be interesting to see which youngsters come through. 

Archived