Wingers playing centre mid

RamNut

Think of the players who started as wingers but became very good centre midfielders

archie gemmill, john mcgovern, eddie scrubbins, micky frigg, malcolm codpiece etc etc 

currently duane holmes alternates between centre mid and wideman

it has been speculated that tom lawrence might be better as a no 10

But what about......

florence jozefzoon lad

He might not have the pace or trickery to be a sparkling winger but could he be a decent attacking centre mid same as duane?

they seem quite similar

We have loads of players who can fill the wide roles but a deficit of centre mids. Is it worth a waggle?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

James Morrison 

john greening 

both started out wide but moved into the middle, Morrison made a tidy career from it in my eyes, was a lovely player 

would suggest they’re both more ball players than JFlo tbh 

Maybe it's a West Brom thing, you could probably put Chris Brunt in the same list.

Chris Brunt is also a great spoonerism for a poster no longer with us.

On 07/03/2019 at 12:19, Coconut said:

Maybe it's a West Brom thing, you could probably put Chris Brunt in the same list.

Chris Brunt is also a great spoonerism for a poster no longer with us.

We've had a lot of Chunterers over the years. Could be anyone.

15 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Dunno about centre mid but Malone would defo be a better left sided midfield player / wingback than left full back.

You still have to have defensive nous to be able to play left-wing back. He's a left-sided mid who can cross the ball well usually.

15 hours ago, rammieib said:

I am still hoping Flojo May break out as a footballer at some point.

Stick him in midfield. 

i'm telling yer.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Stick him in midfield. 

i'm telling yer.

Still share this opinion? The player a dog turd of a footballer.

If he could at least show some front and desire to hide the footballing deficiencies that might help, but we only had ten players today when he was on the pitch.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Still share this opinion? The player a dog turd of a footballer.

If he could at least show some front and desire to hide the footballing deficiencies that might help, but we only had ten players today when he was on the pitch.

Yes. Because i don't think he is very effective wide. 

Harsh on Zoon. Whilst I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best of him it's been a tough year for him. No real consistency given to him in the team, no time to get partnerships going as neither him or the LB knows whether they're coming or going. 

He's not an impact player, he looks like he need a good run in the team. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Harsh on Zoon. Whilst I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best of him it's been a tough year for him. No real consistency given to him in the team, no time to get partnerships going as neither him or the LB knows whether they're coming or going. 

He's not an impact player, he looks like he need a good run in the team. 

I don't agree.

When he gets 20/30 mins here or there, or 60 like he had today, that's his chance to show what he can do, and make himself undroppable with his performance.

He doesn't do it, why give someone a run in the side on a hunch vs the evidence he's provided so far?

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't agree.

When he gets 20/30 mins here or there, or 60 like he had today, that's his chance to show what he can do, and make himself undroppable with his performance.

He doesn't do it, why give someone a run in the side on a hunch vs the evidence he's provided so far?

In an ideal world you're right but I don't think we can sit here and say we've made it as easy as possible for him to perform in the first team. He's in, then he's out. On the bench, out the squad, oh look he's starting, then he's out the squad completely again.. he's had a very stop start year. Agree completely he hasn't grabbed his chance at times. Yet there have been a couple where he's been class yet found himself cast out. Just a bit of a head scratcher.

Last year he had consistency in a team he was on board with and had a very good year, that's why Frank blew the best part of 3 mill on him. Next season might be his time to shine, when we've got an actual identity with a settled team. We've been a bit all over the place so I don't think it's surprising all our signings haven't lived upto their price tags. Not going to write him off just yet. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

In an ideal world you're right but I don't think we can sit here and say we've made it as easy as possible for him to perform in the first team. He's in, then he's out. On the bench, out the squad, oh look he's starting, then he's out the squad completely again.. he's had a very stop start year. Agree completely he hasn't grabbed his chance at times. Yet there have been a couple where he's been class yet found himself cast out. Just a bit of a head scratcher.

Last year he had consistency in a team he was on board with and had a very good year, that's why Frank blew the best part of 3 mill on him. Next season might be his time to shine, when we've got an actual identity with a settled team. We've been a bit all over the place so I don't think it's surprising all our signings haven't lived upto their price tags. Not going to write him off just yet. 

Fair point well made, but it shouldn't be easy to stake a claim, it should be bloody difficult, hand on heart he's not made his time here any easier when he's been a sub.

Archived