The adventure

Archied

bit of a reply / antidote / question to the sack frank thread

read through the sack frank thread with a bit of sadness / bit of horror and also an open mind to others views , we have the usual suspects who want to sack sack sack time and again and the goal posts movers who say it’s the footbal that counts not results until they decide it’s the other way round and results justify any type of football ,then there are the reasonable that put forward a reasonable balanced view and it’s these that make you look at your own opinion ,

the truth is that yes frank would not have got the job without his big name player status and yes it does perhaps buy him more time than others and if I’m honest there’s a few ( very few ) bits that would concern me more were it not frank and I have to ask why ??

honestly it feels like a bit of an adventure we are going on with frank in a way that it has not for a very long time and it’s as simple a gut feeling as that for me ,throw in all the other positive of him being OUR manager and I’m up for the adventure just as much as I was when his name was first linked and it will take a REAL disaster to sway me, 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Archied said:

honestly it feels like a bit of an adventure we are going on with frank in a way that it has not for a very long time and it’s as simple a gut feeling as that for me ,throw in all the other positive of him being OUR manager and I’m up for the adventure just as much as I was when his name was first linked and it will take a REAL disaster to sway me, 

What's your definition of a real disaster?

If frank is so off it that we are in a relegation fight and we are hugely under achieving with the squad we have that it’s clear he has not got what it takes to learn and become a decent manager , as far as I can see we are doing fairly decently for the squad we have and a new to the role manager with the pulling power to get players to the club that we perhaps wouldn’t get otherwise and raise the profile of the club to get exposure and by association revenue streams so we are very far off that disaster status for me , there are some with much better squads on paper doing worse and yes a few doing better so not too much there for me to be wanting to call time on this adventure at this very early stage 

interested to know how people seem to think it’s time to call a halt and be so sure he hasn’t got it ,is doing a bad job and there’s better out there we can afford and or attract to the club and have the finances to back them

It’s a strange one , we set up new managers with the view to giving them time then they do well and expectations rise ,hit a blip and people want them sacked , I would say perhaps it would be better if any new managers started poorly then I remember Pearson and realise there’s no winning , we have some fans that just can’t be happy unless we are winning all the time ,,, oops then I realise that once you have someone getting results we need to get rid cause the football is all wrong ,not entertaining and will never cut it in prem ,it’s then I realise we have some fans who just will never be happy and actually don’t want to be happy because they get off on  being unhappy with the club 

17 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s a strange one , we set up new managers with the view to giving them time then they do well and expectations rise ,hit a blip and people want them sacked , I would say perhaps it would be better if any new managers started poorly then I remember Pearson and realise there’s no winning , we have some fans that just can’t be happy unless we are winning all the time ,,, oops then I realise that once you have someone getting results we need to get rid cause the football is all wrong ,not entertaining and will never cut it in prem ,it’s then I realise we have some fans who just will never be happy and actually don’t want to be happy because they get off on  being unhappy with the club 

Breath man... BREATH!  

What you're saying is something I think a lot of us know. From October we were on a good run with some very convincing results (West Brom, Birmingham, Brentford, etc.) and I think that 'lucky' (?) start set us up with a false sense of the season. We have a manager who is constantly learning and he will make mistakes, coupled with injuries it becomes difficult to cope with as a fan. But he has excellent connections and the training and coaching team with him are an absolute asset to this club. 

It's so so disheartening when we lose and lose as we have been doing. We are also guilty of posting our frustration on here which is fine, but I've always said we should be patient and give it time and this is something that Frank and Jody have also said -- most recently this week which is encouraging. 

Given the skill and promising youth prospects we  have here, the least we can do as fans is stick with it for one season. An adventure it certainly is and it's one I am excited to be part of, even if it means riding the lows and coping with gumps at work.

29 minutes ago, Archied said:

I would say perhaps it would be better if any new managers started poorly then I remember Pearson and realise there’s no winning

You need to put Pearson into context though.

Four months prior to his appointment we’d sacked a manager who was fifth in the league because he was ebbing away from the system he was intended to build upon.

We were sold the idea of managers build on from their predecessor rather than implementing their own ideas.

Wassall had us playing football, Hughes and Bryson were fit again. 

So what do we do? We appoint a hard Brexit 442 manager who didn’t fancy Hughes or Martin and thought Bryson was a DM and Butterfield was a RM. 

Results were bad, he didn’t build on what Wassall had done and actively attempted to tear the team apart. 

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

You need to put Pearson into context though.

Four months prior to his appointment we’d sacked a manager who was fifth in the league because he was ebbing away from the system he was intended to build upon.

We were sold the idea of managers build on from their predecessor rather than implementing their own ideas.

Wassall had us playing football, Hughes and Bryson were fit again. 

So what do we do? We appoint a hard Brexit 442 manager who didn’t fancy Hughes or Martin and thought Bryson was a DM and Butterfield was a RM. 

Results were bad, he didn’t build on what Wassall had done and actively attempted to tear the team apart. 

There’s a lot in what you say but my point is he was exactly what a lot of our fans thought we needed then very very quickly a lot of those same fans saw him as the devil incarnate , each case case be argued separately but I do believe it can’t be ignored given the frequency and varied reasons given that there is a pattern forming ,, it’s odd that a lot of our fans see mel Morris as trigger happy but appear to be far more trigger happy themselves

There are a whole bunch of issues involved here, so let me preface by saying DO NOT SACK Frank until next Feb at the earliest.

1. Transfer windows are the bane of a managers life. For the club if things go bad between windows and there is no signs of improvement then the only action possible is to change managers. Hopefully you get a new manager bounce, more fan interest translating into bigger crowds and better support. This is obviously most important if you are being sucked into a relegation fight or trying to get into Europe. Not the case for us
  2. Between windows assuming you can do any business at all you are stuck with the squad you have and if injuries strike you can be stuffed. We have a lot of injuries. Not Franks fault
  3. Tactics early doors were exciting to watch and fairly effective, but as teams wised up to them and injuries bit, we became timid. That is definitely something for Frank to address.
  4. Team spirit which was brilliant looks a bit down due to poor results, hopefully this is not some little group in the squad playing silly b's and undermining frank. 
  5. Club spirit. The recent comments about negativity in the club were a bit alarming in that Frank needed to even say it. If there are some politics at work here Mel needs to sort it out quick. Not the dreaded vote of confidence in the manager, but kicking somebodies backside, preferably out of the club. Internal politics will seriously put off any investors. 
  6. Rookie manager- yes to a degree but a supremely intelligent man who has worked and learnt under so many top people, so with support of senior players I see no problems yet. IF he does prove poor there needs to be time for that to show it for what it is, rather than injuries or poor transfer decisions. Hence a minimum of two windows. 

I was recently in New York and went up the Empire State Building. On the way back down there were photos of famous people who had been up there before me - Schwarzenegger, Lady Gaga all the sorts. Among all of them was a photo of our manager and a photo of our left back holding the Champions League trophy. Two Derby County employees on the Empire State Building wall of fame - that hasn't happened since Barry Powell and Keith Osgood.

This is fun and as long as we are enjoying the ride long may it continue. And if you want to swop mid-table, who knows what you will get football under Frank and Jody for grind it out mid-table turgidity under Mick McCarthy or Mark Warburtron then I suggest you also take a trip up the Empire State building but take the short route down.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

And if you want to swop mid-table, who knows what you will get football under Frank and Jody for grind it out mid-table turgidity under Mick McCarthy or Mark Warburtron then I suggest you also take a trip up the Empire State building but take the short route down.

I bet Ipswich wish they'd have settled for Mick McCarthy right now.

Do NOT sack Frank, personally think we have had a bril season, and it aint over yet.

9 new faces, massive turn arounds, I think is a big ask of him in his first appointment, however we sit equal 6th in the table

weve beaten Manu and Saints nearly Chelsea and Norwich away with very attractive football to watch.

Most of his transfers have been good, with no money to spend.

So NO don't sack him

On 06/03/2019 at 14:40, Archied said:

bit of a reply / antidote / question to the sack frank thread

read through the sack frank thread with a bit of sadness / bit of horror and also an open mind to others views , we have the usual suspects who want to sack sack sack time and again and the goal posts movers who say it’s the footbal that counts not results until they decide it’s the other way round and results justify any type of football ,then there are the reasonable that put forward a reasonable balanced view and it’s these that make you look at your own opinion ,

the truth is that yes frank would not have got the job without his big name player status and yes it does perhaps buy him more time than others and if I’m honest there’s a few ( very few ) bits that would concern me more were it not frank and I have to ask why ??

Do you think these young lads and the young rookie manager had any clue on the adventure that lay ahead of them ?AF69DA52-DF34-4D5E-8576-905E2D7DA28E.thumb.jpeg.d0e5f39431e9804ec879879ec0ed92f4.jpeg

Archived