Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

Bwash_Ram

Interesting the love in for Bannan on here. On our site he's way down the list for MOM. There's a growing feeling that he's holding us back. Admittedly his cross for our goal was pretty good (your keeper should have made an effort though) in general his dead ball quality is PP. Most of his passes are backwards or sideways and 7 goals in 4 seasons is not good for a 'creative' player, and his attitude and slagging off team mates can be seen as bullying. A bit like what George Best said about Beckam. He cant beat a man, tackle of head a ball, but apart from that he's not bad.  

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, garytheowl said:

Interesting the love in for Bannan on here. On our site he's way down the list for MOM. There's a growing feeling that he's holding us back. Admittedly his cross for our goal was pretty good (your keeper should have made an effort though) in general his dead ball quality is PP. Most of his passes are backwards or sideways and 7 goals in 4 seasons is not good for a 'creative' player, and his attitude and slagging off team mates can be seen as bullying. A bit like what George Best said about Beckam. He cant beat a man, tackle of head a ball, but apart from that he's not bad.  

...but it was still true. 

5 minutes ago, garytheowl said:

Always liked him as a player. Very neat and tidy, always available and moves the ball around well, would agree that his performance yesterday was nothing special though. Very surprised to see a few comments about him bossing the midfield or controlling the game.

2 hours ago, garytheowl said:

I agree. Thought he did very little yesterday other than collect the ball 5 yards from the centre backs and do not a great deal with it. 

Previously he’s been very dangerous in your attacking third, but other than the cross for the goal I didn’t think he was conspicuous. 

Bannan seems to be one of those players who seems to think racking up 100 5-10 yard passes is controlling a game. It looks quite good but is ultimately pointless. With better players I think he’d be very good in terms of creating angles across the pitch (similar to Cairney) but he’s in a very average side 

Just now, nottingram said:

Bannan seems to be one of those players who seems to think racking up 100 5-10 yard passes is controlling a game. It looks quite good but is ultimately pointless. With better players I think he’d be very good in terms of creating angles across the pitch (similar to Cairney) but he’s in a very average side 

I can remember during the reign of Mac 2 someone posted that if we can  him at the half way line or in his own half he won't be very effective. He is at his most dangerous when he is roaming around a few yards outside the opposition penalty area. Largely we kept him at bay yesterday so that all his match-controlling long balls were where it didn't really matter.

However one has to wonder whether his long balls stick out from his shorts?

7 hours ago, garytheowl said:

OMG!  Piss Poor and Pride Park have the same initials!    I'd never connected the two before!   

On 10/03/2019 at 13:38, garytheowl said:

thought he had a really good spell where everything was directed through him.  We put Huddz on him which was a mismatch.  Then you guys went 442 and he lost that bit of space and went out of the game.  Got to say though I was a bit surprised by your lack of desire to get 3 points.  We are really weak at the moment and you had an opportunity to gather 3 points.  It looks like you have given up on the playoffs.  do you have the same impression?

On 09/03/2019 at 20:48, Derby blood said:

I enjoyed the game today, thought the atmosphere was good, we had the better chances, and the big positive is, we are back in the top 6, if we beat Stoke on Wednesday then today's draw was not a bad point, thought Keogh, Bogle and Johnson all had decent games. Let's make sure that we carry on supporting the team in the correct manner for the reminder of the season, it could be a interesting run in, and the team will need us.

my first game in months and it was a better performance than I expected I would get 10 days previously.  Surprised that Bogle got MoM, did ok and showed some backbone to recover from a couple of disappointments recently.  My MoM was BJ, apart form the goal he imposed himself all over the park.  RK, not so sure, for their goal our defence held a strong backline given the position of the freekick.  RK was the first to break it and played everyone on side and it was only a matter of whether the delivery was good which it was.  Most did ok and it gets difficult to avoid being slightly negative because the high points were so few.  Worried about FloJo and Carson.  Worried that offensively we might end up relying on FloJo and Nuge if injuries are unkind.  Hopeful Frank is going to limit tinkering to occasions where he has no choice.

On 10 March 2019 at 12:38, garytheowl said:

Reminds me of what i once said to someone about Will Hughes.

He's got no pace, he can't tackle, he can't head it, he doesn't score goals.......

but he's the best fookin player on the pitch by a mile.

Archived