Do we wrap youngsters in cotton wool

jono

The transition is a huge one but many of our young players look terrified of making a mistake when they come into the first team.

Bogle, Bennett and Bird all have talent but I would love to see them smile and play with abandon.

Perhaps I should boo them less often ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Carnero said:

When you do you will see the angle that Massey ended up at. I highly doubt that he would have scored if Carson hadn't come rushing out.

I've not seen it back either. But I thought all you Roos fans wanted the keeper to come rushing out?

I'd have thought that in a one on one situation the attacker should be favourite every time.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've not seen it back either. But I thought all you Roos fans wanted the keeper to come rushing out?

I'd have thought that in a one on one situation the attacker should be favourite every time.

would disagree with every time Roy - all depends on the angles. Centrally yes, fair shout. However, this one was off to one side and carson had narrowed the angle as best he could and malone was dashing to cover the bigger side. They had reasonable odds of stopping that one imo.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

But I thought all you Roos fans wanted the keeper to come rushing out?

Watch who you're calling a "Roos fan" will you.

And as previously stated it depends on a number of factors whether the keeper should stick or twist, watch the goal back and you'll agree Carson is at fault.

I love the idea of bringing more youngsters through; we certainly have players with the skill.

However, I worry about the physicality of the Championship and how well they will cope with that. Bird is probably the calmest and most assured of the under 23s and you could see that against Villa but boy was he weak in the challenge.  I don't say that as a criticism as he is only just 18 and will develop physically, just as Will did. However, that physicality is essential at CDM, less so for more attacking players. 

So, it may be easier for Mitchell-Lawson or Sibley to get games than Bird. I really admire Frank for trying him and I hope it hasn't knocked his confidence.

There were a group of under 23s just across the aisle from us on Saturday and they looked quite subdued at the end of the game. Watching how Villa brushed Bird aside at times must make them think about how far some of them still have to develop.

I do think we'll see more of them as the season goes on though and next year too. I am quite excited about this.

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Watch who you're calling a "Roos fan" will you.

And as previously stated it depends on a number of factors whether the keeper should stick or twist, watch the goal back and you'll agree Carson is at fault.

On the goal thing (we seem to have digressed! ) I think if Roos or Carson were to come out very swiftly they would have made that interception; Carson was a bit slow; Roos would probably have been quicker.

Maybe on this occasion if he'd stayed on his line the save would have been made, the player might have shot wide or been forced by the angle into the pass. Wigan's forwards aren't very confident so who knows? 

On 05/03/2019 at 19:00, Ghost of Clough said:

It was his first time travelling with the first team if I remember correctly. The trend under Frank seems to be to travel with the team a few times, then appear on the bench a couple of times, before coming off the bench, then eventually starting. 

It’s a strong contrast to Thomas making his debut under Rowett. He was so in awe of the whole experience he lined up on the right hand side instead of the left as instructed. 

What Frank’s doing is ensuring when the young lads are called upon, they’ll be ready and in the right mindset as soon as they step out on the pitch. 

I'd forgot about Thomas coming back next season. How's he getting on this season and do we think he would make an impact next year for us?

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'd forgot about Thomas coming back next season. How's he getting on this season and do we think he would make an impact next year for us?

As has been mentioned by other posters, most at Coventry consider him to be their best attacking threat. Lawrence, Bennett and Jozefzoon will all be ahead of him (Waghorn and Holmes too if considered wingers), so will most likely go out to a lower Championship side next term. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Watch it back @RoyMac5 if Carson had stayed on his line he’d have simply picked that shot up. Got caught in no mans land and made it far too easy for the striker. Not normally a critic of Carson but on this occasion he got it wrong. 

7 hours ago, Edtheram said:

If Bogle had tackled the player or fouled him which a more experienced pro would of done then the goal wouldn't of happened? The header v Forest? the missed tackle v Millwall all led to goals?

So how does Bogle become a more experienced pro? Certainly not by playing U23 matches.

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As has been mentioned by other posters, most at Coventry consider him to be their best attacking threat. Lawrence, Bennett and Jozefzoon will all be ahead of him (Waghorn and Holmes too if considered wingers), so will most likely go out to a lower Championship side next term. 

Don't think it's fair to send him to Forest - rather he goes to a club that plays decent football.

12 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

So how does Bogle become a more experienced pro? Certainly not by playing U23 matches.

Bogle is a first team player and rightly so, My point being that he has played all season and is still prone to a mistake, Throwing inexperienced lads into the starting side at this point in this season would be silly IMO.

Archived