Do we wrap youngsters in cotton wool

jono

When I read about Mitchel-Lawson, hat tricks, blistering pace then why aren’t these lads in the match day squads. ? If there good enough then they’re old enough. Let’s stop buying also rams and give our own first go. Discuss ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was his first time travelling with the first team if I remember correctly. The trend under Frank seems to be to travel with the team a few times, then appear on the bench a couple of times, before coming off the bench, then eventually starting. 

It’s a strong contrast to Thomas making his debut under Rowett. He was so in awe of the whole experience he lined up on the right hand side instead of the left as instructed. 

What Frank’s doing is ensuring when the young lads are called upon, they’ll be ready and in the right mindset as soon as they step out on the pitch. 

Big difference between playing with other naive talented young lads and then going against experienced grown men. That's without the added pressure of fans, media etc. It's going from the shallows to the deep end

17 hours ago, jono said:

When I read about Mitchel-Lawson, hat tricks, blistering pace then why aren’t these lads in the match day squads. ? If there good enough then they’re old enough. Let’s stop buying also rams and give our own first go. Discuss ?

He posts the night an academy product goes and scores a wonder goal, 18 year old Jayden Bogle makes his 28th league start and Max Bird is on the bench ?

Jono the kinda parent you see in Benidorm 10 San Miguels deep into the day launching kids in to the deep end, don't worry babies float love, this ones just a bit bigger! 

We saw a great example of having a young player in the side last night,

Jayden bogle has played 30 odd games for the first team this season and is only 18 he made a poor tackle which led to a counter attack which led to us conceding a goal. This has happened 3 times in the last 5 games i think. But then on the other side he pops up in the opposition box and plays a key role in setting up the winner. Youngsters are very hit and miss, When they are ready they will play were joint 6th and have just won theres no need to be chucking in youngsters as we saw against Villa. Bird is a good option from the bench and i agree that Lawson should be getting game time over Nugent but defo not starting games. At the end of the day its down to the manager to deem if the player is ready, Lawson isnt.

1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

We saw a great example of having a young player in the side last night,

Jayden bogle has played 30 odd games for the first team this season and is only 18 he made a poor tackle which led to a counter attack which led to us conceding a goal. This has happened 3 times in the last 5 games i think. But then on the other side he pops up in the opposition box and plays a key role in setting up the winner. Youngsters are very hit and miss, When they are ready they will play were joint 6th and have just won theres no need to be chucking in youngsters as we saw against Villa. Bird is a good option from the bench and i agree that Lawson should be getting game time over Nugent but defo not starting games. At the end of the day its down to the manager to deem if the player is ready, Lawson isnt.

They were already countering when Bogle attempted his tackle. 

Bird is ready to start games when needed. 

Mitchell-Lawson is a winger (predominantly on the right since around Christmas). Nugent isn’t the one keeping him off the bench. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They were already countering when Bogle attempted his tackle. 

Bird is ready to start games when needed. 

Mitchell-Lawson is a winger (predominantly on the right since around Christmas). Nugent isn’t the one keeping him off the bench. 

If Bogle had tackled the player or fouled him which a more experienced pro would of done then the goal wouldn't of happened? The header v Forest? the missed tackle v Millwall all led to goals?

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

If Bogle had tackled the player or fouled him which a more experienced pro would of done then the goal wouldn't of happened? The header v Forest? the missed tackle v Millwall all led to goals?

too harsh on him last night, he was caught in 2 minds and really I am not sure I would criticise him for not committing a professional foul.  Should have stayed on his feat though.  Malone at fault as the last man trying an ambitious pass.  Carson should have also been better but this was Malone's doing 

3 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

You said his “poor tackle led to a counter attack”. They were already countering when he attempted his tackle.

Malone shouldn’t have played such a lazy pass. Bogle shouldn’t have dived in. Malone should have defended the 2v1 better. Carson shouldn’t have let the shot roll under him.

To blame that goal on Bogle is wrong. 

59 minutes ago, David said:

He posts the night an academy product goes and scores a wonder goal, 18 year old Jayden Bogle makes his 28th league start and Max Bird is on the bench ?

Jono the kinda parent you see in Benidorm 10 San Miguels deep into the day launching kids in to the deep end, don't worry babies float love, this ones just a bit bigger! 

My timing was impeccable ? 

I raise the point as a general musing. For sure exposing an underdeveloped kid to the blood and fury of a championship league game is a serious decision to make but as with Mason, Bogle, Lowe and Hughes it does need to be done. I just occasionally ponder that we sometimes buy a middle ranker from elesewhere for a 7 figure sum when we might have something in our own store cupboard that would be worth a go first. Yes of course you get a Giggs, a Hughes a Loftus Cheek (what a name ?) and they stand out but these are future internationals and at our level I can’t help thinking if the player has the right physique and mentality then it’s a worthwhile risk.  .... Having said that I think Frank and Jodie are starting to make it happen as we have seen this season and the change of emphasis is something I’m enjoying and in a sense has answered my OP with .. that’s what we had been doing but things are changing now. For me that’s all to the good

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Malone shouldn’t have played such a lazy pass. Bogle shouldn’t have dived in. Malone should have defended the 2v1 better. Carson shouldn’t have let the shot roll under him.

Agree that the first major error was Malone's poor pass.

Bogle was trying to chop him down I think, and quite rightly, unfortunately didn't quite get there.

Malone should have defended the 2v1 better? I thought he played it perfect, didn't commit himself and left it to Jacobs to make a decision, which ultimately led to a poor ball that pushed Massey wide. What more could Malone have done in a 2v1?

Then comes major error number 2: Carson charging out and making it a simple finish under his body for Massey. If Carson stays in the middle of his goal Massey would have struggled from the angle he was at and would likely have tried to play it back to Jacobs who was now covered by Malone.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Agree that the first major error was Malone's poor pass.

Bogle was trying to chop him down I think, and quite rightly, unfortunately didn't quite get there.

Malone should have defended the 2v1 better? I thought he played it perfect, didn't commit himself and left it to Jacobs to make a decision, which ultimately led to a poor ball that pushed Massey wide. What more could Malone have done in a 2v1?

Then comes major error number 2: Carson charging out and making it a simple finish under his body for Massey. If Carson stays in the middle of his goal Massey would have struggled from the angle he was at and would likely have tried to play it back to Jacobs who was now covered by Malone.

I haven't watched that goal back, but from memory.... He did well to begin with, but when getting closer to our box he suddenly decided to get closer to Jacobs, forcing Jacobs into making the pass to the man in acres of space. If he had continued as he was, Jacobs would have had to either shoot with his weaker foot (less likely to get a clear shot away), played a riskier pass to Massey (greater chance of intercepting), or Jacobs would have cut inside to shoot/pass (more time for others to get back, greater chance of a tackle, more likely to block a shot, etc)

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I haven't watched that goal back

When you do you will see the angle that Massey ended up at. I highly doubt that he would have scored if Carson hadn't come rushing out.

Archived