Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’m sorry but all I’m seeing on this thread is a decent debate and fair criticism of how the club is run, don’t think I’ve seen any or I’ve posted anything to suggest we are “stabbing in the back”

A pretty extreme view for me that

I apologise carry on stabbing him in the front instead, and see where that gets us...........

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Maybe our fans should concentrate on supporting and not stabbing their own within the club, in the back, once again.

I still haven't got over the Q.P.R Wembley experience when I heard some of our own fans calling our own players all sorts of venomous and ludicrous things during a game which we were clearly the better side in.

Frank Lampard has mentioned the negativity, and how negativity breeds negativity, but unfortunately some people can't drag themselves out of a place, they somehow dig themselves and at the same time the club in. We are still in a very positive place in the Championship, but at times you get the impression that some would be having a whale of a time following Ipswich Town instead.

Mel.....anie look what they've done to my club, ma............

Let’s never mention it ever again.. Or we could exchange views between Derby fans.

We are no different to any other club fans., Only we use YouTube more than most to get our points over..

Can you find Kumbaiya or however it is spelt., I will go light a fire.

16 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Frank Lampard has mentioned the negativity, and how negativity breeds negativity, but unfortunately some people can't drag themselves out of a place, they somehow dig themselves and at the same time the club in. We are still in a very positive place in the Championship, but at times you get the impression that some would be having a whale of a time following Ipswich Town instead.

This really pisses me off - instead of whining on about perceived negativity, do something about it then. One thing that tends to disapate negativity is success, you think Frank might know that. The fans respond to their dreams and hopes being shattered or fulfilled, it's the way the game works. Ipshit fans have no current dreams or hopes do they?!

7 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I apologise carry on stabbing him in the front instead, and see where that gets us...........

It’s sad you see it that way..... because all I can see is a frank and good debate of views. It’s as if you’ve seen a kid fall over and graze his knee and you’re thinking we need to amputate.

8 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It's vain bud. Small but important distinction...

image.png.5553a7d9428e9ddd106f82a39eb2c838.png

Please, stop standing in the mirror..... and thanks for the spelling, I went to Sinfin don’t you know ?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This really pisses me off - instead of whining on about perceived negativity, do something about it then. One thing that tends to disapate negativity is success, you think Frank might know that. The fans respond to their dreams and hopes being shattered or fulfilled, it's the way the game works. Ipshit fans have no current dreams or hopes do they?!

If constantly being in and around the play-offs is having your dreams 'shattered' then I'd politely suggest that any such folk get out more. The attitude that Frank is alluding to (I believe at least) is that that sees us eulogised after a good win and bedevilled after any loss or draw. If folk are expecting promotion as your post seems to suggest, perhaps a reality check is not the worst thing that can happen to them? We have no divine right to success. Neither does Mel despite his spending. Those are the facts. 

Perhaps if we consistently got behind the side, win, lose or draw, they'd play with less fear. I accept it's every fans' prerogative to choose how he reacts to the team's performances but let's not pretend we don't have a role to play and a positive one too should we choose to. When players are booed simply for making a sideways or backward pass then it's not going to encourage them to take risks nor build on fragile confidence. That much is clear. 

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

If constantly being in and around the play-offs is having your dreams 'shattered' then I'd politely suggest that any such folk get out more. The attitude that Frank is alluding to (I believe at least) is that that sees us eulogised after a good win and bedevilled after any loss or draw. If folk are expecting promotion as your post seems to suggest, perhaps a reality check is not the worst thing that can happen to them? We have no divine right to success. Neither does Mel despite his spending. Those are the facts. 

Perhaps if we consistently got behind the side, win, lose or draw, they'd play with less fear. I accept it's every fans' prerogative to choose how he reacts to the team's performances but let's not pretend we don't have a role to play and a positive one too should we choose to. When players are booed simply for making a sideways or backward pass then it's not going to encourage them to take risks nor build on fragile confidence. That much is clear. 

Sorry, I’ve never ever heard that before. I’ve heard at HT and FT..... and maybe at the ref or an opposing player. 

Just now, 86 points said:

Was just being helpful mate! Can you ask your missus to stop texting me now though as I'm trying to eat.

She at it again? Thought I was the only one ?

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Sorry, I’ve never ever heard that before. I’ve heard at HT and FT..... and maybe at the ref or an opposing player. 

Really? Honestly, you've never heard boos and groans for this at live games. Being a 1/4 fan I've only attended a few games this season and I have. I'm not complaining about it in any case. Like I said, it's a personal choice. My post is in response to a specific point made by RoyMac, so let's try to keep in in context. 

12 minutes ago, 86 points said:

If constantly being in and around the play-offs is having your dreams 'shattered' then I'd politely suggest that any such folk get out more. 

Mel took over when we'd just missed out on the Prem by a smidgeon. He bought into that dream and 'encouraged' our dreams. Yes they've been 'shattered' we've not been promoted.

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

All fair points that I don't disagree with.

But are we any better off than when Mel first invested?

I know that's not the question you're answering above, but it was a question posed earlier in the thread.

Where do you stand?

I would say yes.

Obviously we are still in the Championship, but I'm looking beyond that and the club as a whole, where we was then and now.

People compare Mel's entire tenure to the last season of GSE when they had one foot out the door which I think is unfair, you should look at the whole time they were at the club and compare, it was terrible and attendances reflected that.

Let's not forget they sold out on the cusp of the play offs, what could have been the big pay day they jumped ship. What does that tell you? Tell's me they lost interest, although that was blatantly obvious long before we reached Wembley. As I said earlier the best thing they did was hand control over to Sam Rush at the time who could see we were going nowhere under Nigel but they weren't bothered it seemed.

I won't have it that they could see what Nigel was building and the slow progress was all leading up to the most fabulous of promotions, we was just as likely to finish 16th after the 10th place finish the previous year, it was stagnant, tedious and uninspiring at best until McClaren's arrival. I have doubts even Rush would have tempted them to loosen the purse strings to push on the following season had Mel not arrived.

You can't ignore the previous 5 years because of that one season we went to Wembley.

When I look at the club now I see us as a more attractive club for both players and managers due to the level of investment Mel has put in both on and off the pitch.

Would Ashley Cole have signed for Nigel under GSE? Ok he's past his best now, but at one time he was widely regarded as one of the best left backs in the world, not a chance, he doesn't even need to be here now. Obviously Lampard was a lure and I can't prove it, but had Lampard ended up at Ipswich he would most likely be retired now. 

On the pitch, 3 out the last 5 years we have had play off campaigns, in all 5 been genuine contenders mostly. Players at this level want to be promoted, right now we are a club that is seen as serious contenders year on year and I'm sure that the chance of a final medal that saw Cole lace his boots up for one last time.

Listen to any player/manager that signs, they all mention the facilities at the club, some are wowed from where they have come from. To us it might not mean much and dismiss it as a fancy building, but Moor Farm is where players will spend the majority of their time whilst at the club, Mel has seen value in that and invested a great deal to make it a home from home for the players, swimming pool, all the gym equipment Waghorn could ever need and I would like to think the sausage situation has now been resolved.

I know people look on and say the team is not better than the one in 13/14 despite millions being thrown at it, maybe it isn't, but it's certainly not worse even if the level of entertainment hasn't been matched. As I said earlier, I'm not just comparing that final year to Mel's entire tenure, I'm looking at it as a whole.

If Mel is looking for investors to come in, share the burden or even take over we are in a much better place than we were and quite an attractive prospect even with us sat on the FFP limit. Ways around that, as other clubs have shown. 

Finally the academy, although I'm sure that speaks for itself, wouldn't be surprised if the players which come through the U23s over the next few years will cover the losses Mel has made through signings. We genuinely have one of the best in the country and I don't think some realise just how good we are right now and how valuable that could be in the long term.

50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mel took over when we'd just missed out on the Prem by a smidgeon. He bought into that dream and 'encouraged' our dreams. Yes they've been 'shattered' we've not been promoted.

Shattered YOUR dreams. You speak only for you, after all.

All a tad melodramatic in any case but like everyone, you're entitled to your opinions. Mine is that while he's made some serious errors, everything is simple in hindsight. Furthermore, I'll not lay all the blame exclusively at his door. We are Derby and we fail or succeed as a club - players, managers, owners and fans. 

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

everything is simple in hindsight

Absolutely.

Just 4 fans were not happy with the Pearson appointment at the time, despite many now saying Mel dropped one by appointing him which went against everything this team was.

How many fans would be as quick to hold their hands up and say they was wrong as they are to criticise the man who made the appointment? 

It's ok to review with hindsight, but needs to be done fairly as unfortunately crystal balls are not available on Amazon yet. 

Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 21.28.05.png

Archived