Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

17 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've been out all day and drinking with it, so this probably won't make sense.

He agreed to take control on the eve of a one off match that would determine our fate. 

Since then, the extra investment he's put in has achieved the square root of diddly squat.

We're no closer to promotion, automatic or otherwise, and I'd lay the blame for most of our lack of progress squarely at his door, not all mind.

The sacking of both Mac1 and Mac2 for a start, the second in particular after he'd drove us up the league from a poor start, and especially giving Martin a new improved deal at Macs request, he sacked him a few weeks later!

Madness, and all on Mel.

I honestly hoped he'd be successful, but his time as owner hasn't improved us in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Absolutely..... we hear the be careful what you wish for now....... It’s nice to see the constructive critique of the club getting an airing now.

We are ForestLite during their poor ownership days, without the winding up petitions.

Not going to deny Moor Farm and the youth teams are looking great. What people are interested in is a good team that has stability on and off the pitch, and we’ve barely had that in the 4-5 years in which Mels been in charge.

Still stand by what I said in 2015..... be careful what you wish for. It seems that’s coming to roost. Only faith I have in Mel is that if he did get investment I’m pretty damn sure it’ll be good people coming in instead of any old idiot..... we need a reboot of sorts.

As always I’m happy to have egg on my face, mock away on my feelings on him throughout his tenure. As Revel said, I wanted him to be successful so much..... but he shouldn’t be devoid of criticism because he’s from Derby. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree with you. I just wonder what remit Mel gave himself and whether he sees his tenure as a failure - one for the fans forum perhaps.

That’s just the one of the worst questions you should aim at any boss because it’s laden with criticism. But I guess that’s the point.  In football I don’t see anything average as being anything other than failure.  We are a fat ugly bridesmaid.

our academy is about to arrive but a season too late and there is a risk that we will feed our prospects to more successful clubs.  Mel’s sole contribution is in jeopardy.  As you may notice i’m not particularly positive about our future and I am at a loss to see how we get out of it

22 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We were crap though. Like proper crap. Conor Doyle upfront crap. Dean Moxey upfront crap. Scraping for 12th and being really happy with the season crap. Tip my hat to Nige but we did our whole treading water bit being a run of the mill team. We're better than that. At least Mel's ambitions have taken us to a better place than that, albeit still in the same league. He's woken the club up completely.

But that is not where he took over is it.. Mac 1 was where he took over, exciting football, upward curve.. All downhill since then I’m afraid. 

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Incorrect, Mac woke this club up...... whether you like him or not.

@reveldevil nails it 

Initially, totally agree.

But considering he's not been here for 2 out of those 4 seasons (ironically the ones we made the play offs) Mel has certainly carried it on.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

But that is not where he took over is it.. Mac 1 was where he took over, exciting football, upward curve.. All downhill since then I’m afraid. 

Actually officially he didnt take over until Clements was in place.

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Absolutely..... we hear the be careful what you wish for now....... It’s nice to see the constructive critique of the club getting an airing now.

We are ForestLite during their poor ownership days, without the winding up petitions.

Not going to deny Moor Farm and the youth teams are looking great. What people are interested in is a good team that has stability on and off the pitch, and we’ve barely had that in the 4-5 years in which Mels been in charge.

Still stand by what I said in 2015..... be careful what you wish for. It seems that’s coming to roost. Only faith I have in Mel is that if he did get investment I’m pretty damn sure it’ll be good people coming in instead of any old idiot..... we need a reboot of sorts.

As always I’m happy to have egg on my face, mock away on my feelings on him throughout his tenure. As Revel said, I wanted him to be successful so much..... but he shouldn’t be devoid of criticism because he’s from Derby. 

Not entirely sure what you see is coming to roost, but I have to pick you up on this “good team”, if that’s what we’re interested in then he’s passed the test.

GSE 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th, 10th, 3rd (one foot out the door)

Mel 8th, 5th, 9th, 6th, tbc.

We’re on course for our 3rd appearance in the Play Offs in 5 seasons, how have we not had a good team? Ok, the stability in terms of manager may not have been there but that hasn’t stopped us being promotion contenders. 

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Has it been all downhill though? 

The season after that we competed for the title until the last 5 weeks of the season. Playing just as well as the season before, better at times. Was that Mel? As much as I love Mac, that was his doing, not the owners. 

We haven't had a perfect season under him but as far as competing at the right end of the table... it's been the best it's been, consistently, for years. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Not entirely sure what you see is coming to roost, but I have to pick you up on this “good team”, if that’s what we’re interested in then he’s passed the test.

GSE 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th, 10th, 3rd (one foot out the door)

Mel 8th, 5th, 9th, 6th, tbc.

We’re on course for our 3rd appearance in the Play Offs in 5 seasons, how have we not had a good team? Ok, the stability in terms of manager may not have been there but that hasn’t stopped us being promotion contenders. 

We are an average team, we are on the coat tails of the top 6. Compare away to Nigel, we knew where we were then, and quite correct we were a substandard team.

However, for me, we could of and probably should of kept MAC still the first time around, but the willy measuring was too much. The wails of the crowd demanding “loyalty” because Newcastle were interested.....

We could have been a fantastic team now, but as you say, the stability has never been there under Mel. Imagine if we had a owner who wasn’t from Derby, they’d be getting a lot more critique than he’s currently getting still. Look at the press, we can say “lazy journalism” this and “rubbish reporting that” but when it’s more than 2-3 papers than that’s starting to ring alarm bells in your head.

I still hope he has success here I really do, but the mismanagement of this club has been so poor last four years. 

Only need to look at the wage bill rise over last 3-4 years to see that. We are not sustainable in the way Mel has run it. This is coming to roost by what I mean. Losing £2-3 million a month is crazy. I just hope if he’s looking for help or someone else he ain’t naive and chooses someone who knows how to run a football operation.

10 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Has it been all downhill though? 

The season after that we competed for the title until the last 5 weeks of the season. Playing just as well as the season before, better at times. Was that Mel? As much as I love Mac, that was his doing, not the owners. 

We haven't had a perfect season under him but as far as competing at the right end of the table... it's been the best it's been, consistently, for years. 

Yes it has been. The football was good and now it’s not. Morris tore us apart with his money. I don’t get why people are so happy that he has spunked his hard earned away. I actually feel sorry for him..

Mac1 was as good as it has been for 20 years. If Morris was Mohammed, he would have been hounded out by now.

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Only need to look at the wage bill rise over last 3-4 years to see that. We are not sustainable in the way Mel has run it. This is coming to roost by what I mean. Losing £2-3 million a month is crazy. I just hope if he’s looking for help or someone else he ain’t naive and chooses someone who knows how to run a football operation.

I don't really get the 'we're not sustainable' bit. Which club is? Brentford? 

We weren't 'sustainable' under GSE. https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/83792-us-owner-pumps-further-millions-derby-county

It's not new. We've got an owner who's willing to put more in than the previous one. How is that a bad thing? As long as he doesn't leave without either reducing it or handing over to someone who can cover it, who really cares?

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

We are an average team, we are on the coat tails of the top 6. Compare away to Nigel, we knew where we were then, and quite correct we were a substandard team.

However, for me, we could of and probably should of kept MAC still the first time around, but the willy measuring was too much. The wails of the crowd demanding “loyalty” because Newcastle were interested.....

We could have been a fantastic team now, but as you say, the stability has never been there under Mel. Imagine if we had a owner who wasn’t from Derby, they’d be getting a lot more critique than he’s currently getting still. Look at the press, we can say “lazy journalism” this and “rubbish reporting that” but when it’s more than 2-3 papers than that’s starting to ring alarm bells in your head.

I still hope he has success here I really do, but the mismanagement of this club has been so poor last four years. 

Sorry but we’re not an average team, we’ve spent most of the season inside the top 6 despite picking up injury after injury to key players. 

“Average at best” is dare I say a lazy thing to chuck at the team, sadly I see it all over the Championship as I travel the forums, even Norwich at one point were claiming to be average.

We’re a good team, that can be very good on it’s day and if we have a few more very good days we’re heading for another play off run where anything can and has happened.

3 out of 5 inside the top 6 and regardless of managerial appointments and sackings, you can’t turn your nose up at that. I know a few clubs fans that would give anything to be in our shoes even now on the FFP limit.

Finally the Championship is not sustainable, in fact the Football League isn’t. Only really wanted to pick you up on the good team, but Mel has been at the front line demanding more from the TV deal to not just help us but all clubs to help change this. 

Look at the accounts coming out all over, even the likes of Reading are posting huge losses, don’t think we’re out here losing millions on our own, sadly the number of clubs not being placed under embargo will soon be smaller than those that have. 

Yes our wage bill is high, yes he has spent a lot of money which nobody asked but it was done through ambition to see us promoted, I can’t sit here and knock him for trying knowing how I felt desperate for anything under GSE.

Some voiced their concerns back in the summer of 2015, but the overwhelming majority were calling for the trophy to be handed to us right then. Of course any review will be used with hindsight but don’t use that solely, I remember Nigel Pearson leading the polls on this forum by a country mile, now it’s looked on as a poor appointment which went completely against our philosophy. 

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes it has been. The football was good and now it’s not. Morris tore us apart with his money. I don’t get why people are so happy that he has spunked his hard earned away. I actually feel sorry for him..

Mac1 was as good as it has been for 20 years. If Morris was Mohammed, he would have been hounded out by now.

Fair doo's Angry, I'm not gonna change your mind so not going to bother and try. 

I think the footballs been just as good at times but each to their own. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Sorry but we’re not an average team, we’ve spent most of the season inside the top 6 despite picking up injury after injury to key players. 

“Average at best” is dare I say a lazy thing to chuck at the team, sadly I see it all over the Championship as I travel the forums, even Norwich at one point were claiming to be average.

We’re a good team, that can be very good on it’s day and if we have a few more very good days we’re heading for another play off run where anything can and has happened.

3 out of 5 inside the top 6 and regardless of managerial appointments and sackings, you can’t turn your nose up at that. I know a few clubs fans that would give anything to be in our shoes even now on the FFP limit.

Finally the Championship is not sustainable, in fact the Football League isn’t. Only really wanted to pick you up on the good team, but Mel has been at the front line demanding more from the TV deal to not just help us but all clubs to help change this. 

Look at the accounts coming out all over, even the likes of Reading are posting huge losses, don’t think we’re out here losing millions on our own, sadly the number of clubs not being placed under embargo will soon be smaller than those that have. 

Yes our wage bill is high, yes he has spent a lot of money which nobody asked but it was done through ambition to see us promoted, I can’t sit here and knock him for trying knowing how I felt desperate for anything under GSE.

Some voiced their concerns back in the summer of 2015, but the overwhelming majority were calling for the trophy to be handed to us right then. Of course any review will be used with hindsight but don’t use that solely, I remember Nigel Pearson leading the polls on this forum by a country mile, now it’s looked on as a poor appointment which went completely against our philosophy. 

All I want Mel to see is sense my frustration and I’m guessing a lot of others who support Derby County. I don’t dislike the guy, just think his ownership has been questionable to put it very mildly 

Maybe our fans should concentrate on supporting and not stabbing their own within the club, in the back, once again.

I still haven't got over the Q.P.R Wembley experience when I heard some of our own fans calling our own players all sorts of venomous and ludicrous things during a game which we were clearly the better side in.

Frank Lampard has mentioned the negativity, and how negativity breeds negativity, but unfortunately some people can't drag themselves out of a place, they somehow dig themselves and at the same time the club in. We are still in a very positive place in the Championship, but at times you get the impression that some would be having a whale of a time following Ipswich Town instead.

Mel.....anie look what they've done to my club, ma............

3 minutes ago, David said:

All fair points that I don't disagree with.

But are we any better off than when Mel first invested?

I know that's not the question you're answering above, but it was a question posed earlier in the thread.

Where do you stand?

1 minute ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Maybe our fans should concentrate on supporting and not stabbing their own within the club, in the back, once again.

I still haven't got over the Q.P.R Wembley experience when I heard some of our own fans calling our own players all sorts of venomous and ludicrous things during a game which we were clearly the better side in.

Frank Lampard has mentioned the negativity, and how negativity breeds negativity, but unfortunately some people can't drag themselves out of a place, they somehow dig themselves and at the same time the club in. We are still in a very positive place in the Championship, but at times you get the impression that some would be having a whale of a time following Ipswich Town instead.

Mel.....anie look what they've done to my club, ma............

I’m sorry but all I’m seeing on this thread is a decent debate and fair criticism of how the club is run, don’t think I’ve seen any or I’ve posted anything to suggest we are “stabbing in the back”

A pretty extreme view for me that

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It's ok bud but you could do with a shave

I’m pretty vein..... only let the barber touch it ?

Archived