Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, reveldevil said:

How would I know?

All I see is a load of money invested, and very little to show for it. 

I realise you wouldn't know. The point was being made about perhaps a way to judge whether he'd be viewed a failure.

It is my opinion of course and you are entitled to your views too.  Before he took over we had the basis of a decent team that could achieve promotion with just a few sound additions to the team.  He went gung ho and threw millions at trying to get promotion.  He interferes too much and made some very poor decisions when appointing and firing managers at will.  Some of the signings were very rash decisions and have been very poor and as a result we have found ourselves worse off as a team and worse off financially, from what I understand.  Has he been a good owner? In my opinion, no, even if he had good intentions as a supporter and owner. 

Mel has been successful to an extent - a lot will depend on how things shape up when he moves on, if we continue to be competetive then people will look back and see the good will and it was a shame we didn't go up with him. if he buggers off and leaves us in the poo people will look back as a failed endeavour.

We've fielded a very competitive side for 5 years and not been promoted, back in the mid Nigel years people were pining just have a passing play off interest and win more than we loose for once. GSE are looked back on more for the season after where the years of sensible building took shape, but I remember "yanks out" and a lot of frustration at every summer "oh, actual money offered for a transfer, done, replaced with free transfer"

6 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

It is my opinion of course and you are entitled to your views too.  Before he took over we had the basis of a decent team that could achieve promotion with just a few sound additions to the team.  He went gung ho and threw millions at trying to get promotion.  He interferes too much and made some very poor decisions when appointing and firing managers at will.  Some of the signings were very rash decisions and have been very poor and as a result we have found ourselves worse off as a team and worse off financially, from what I understand.  Has he been a good owner? In my opinion, no, even if he had good intentions as a supporter and owner. 

You gotta love hindsight

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I realise you wouldn't know. The point was being made about perhaps a way to judge whether he'd be viewed a failure.

I've been out all day and drinking with it, so this probably won't make sense.

He agreed to take control on the eve of a one off match that would determine our fate. 

Since then, the extra investment he's put in has achieved the square root of diddly squat.

We're no closer to promotion, automatic or otherwise, and I'd lay the blame for most of our lack of progress squarely at his door, not all mind.

The sacking of both Mac1 and Mac2 for a start, the second in particular after he'd drove us up the league from a poor start, and especially giving Martin a new improved deal at Macs request, he sacked him a few weeks later!

Madness, and all on Mel.

I honestly hoped he'd be successful, but his time as owner hasn't improved us in any meaningful way whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

No problem with your opinion, I just wanted to know why you thought the two bits in bold. 

I don't think he's covered himself in glory with some of the managerial sackings but he may have other reasons not known to us, who knows. A few of those and the dressing room stuff will always be criticised. 

The financial stuff doesn't hold much weight in an against argument IMO, if we fail FFP this year then it will but until that happens we're playing inside the rulebook so I can't have a pop at him for that. He's backed his managers financially to the hilt, more than any owner we've had in years so he should be applauded for that. The issue being the managers appointed in the first place were probably the issue, not his financial backing. The issue will be if we've failed FFP this season for me, it'll make the fact he made 15 million available for Frank to splash pretty reckless knowing how close we were. 

4 top half finishes. Winning more games than we lose. 2 appearances out of 4 attempts in the play offs. Top players come and gone. Academy looks the best it has whilst I've been a fan. It's not been a bad 4 years at all for me. He's far from perfect but I'm not quite sure there's anyone remotely close to him in terms of affection and dedication to the club out there waiting to lose tons of dosh. There's plenty of ambition, season tickets are reasonable, there's a connect with the fans... loads of good stuff that wasn't said when GSE were here previously. 

9 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

The Yanks weren't perfect by any means, but I think the club was probably on a more stable footing, on and off the pitch. 

We were crap though. Like proper crap. Conor Doyle upfront crap. Dean Moxey upfront crap. Scraping for 12th and being really happy with the season crap. Tip my hat to Nige but we did our whole treading water bit being a run of the mill team. We're better than that. At least Mel's ambitions have taken us to a better place than that, albeit still in the same league. He's woken the club up completely.

6 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

The Yanks weren't perfect by any means, but I think the club was probably on a more stable footing, on and off the pitch. 

Stable because they showed zero ambition in getting the club promoted! Nigel Clough did remarkably well to find the ingredients but didn’t know his way around the kitchen. Sam Rush arrived, appointed McClaren and the rest is history.

The best thing GSE did was appoint Rush and clear off.

The worst thing Mel did is trust Rush with his money.

If you’re happy with mid table, here to make up the numbers football then GSE are the dream ticket, declining attendances year by year suggests that’s not what this fan base wants for this club. 

Whether fans see his tenure is seen as a failure or not, nobody can argue it’s been more entertaining over the last 5 seasons on the pitch and that’s thanks to Mel and the money he has invested into this club. As a fan that’s right up there at the top of my wish list.

Also whilst reviewing do not ignore the investment made into Moor Farm and our academy which could see us reap the rewards from for years to come with Bogle just the start.

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We were crap though. Like proper crap. Conor Doyle upfront crap. Dean Moxey upfront crap. Scraping for 12th and being really happy with the season crap. Tip my hat to Nige but we did our whole treading water bit being a run of the mill team. We're better than that. At least Mel's ambitions have taken us to a better place than that, albeit still in the same league. He’s woken the club up completely.

Incorrect, Mac woke this club up...... whether you like him or not.

@reveldevil nails it 

Please let's not forget all the good that Mel has done for this club.

Playoff finishes three times since he has been around, never finished outside the top 10, in fact under Clough I dreamt of finishing top 10.  An improved academy where we are starting to bear the fruit of his Labour.

If and it's a big if, we manage to attract a big investor from China for example, then that is because Mel has made us into a more attractive proposition.

Mel has made some monumental balls ups during his tenure, but he made all the balls ups for the right reasons.

4 minutes ago, David said:

The worst thing Mel did is trust Rush with his money.

Based on what ? I genuinely intrigued to what SR has done that MM wasn’t aware off, proven of course ?

19 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've been out all day and drinking with it, so this probably won't make sense.

He agreed to take control on the eve of a one off match that would determine our fate. 

Since then, the extra investment he's put in has achieved the square root of diddly squat.

We're no closer to promotion, automatic or otherwise, and I'd lay the blame for most of our lack of progress squarely at his door, not all mind.

The sacking of both Mac1 and Mac2 for a start, the second in particular after he'd drove us up the league from a poor start, and especially giving Martin a new improved deal at Macs request, he sacked him a few weeks later!

Madness, and all on Mel.

I honestly hoped he'd be successful, but his time as owner hasn't improved us in any meaningful way whatsoever.

I agree with you. I just wonder what remit Mel gave himself and whether he sees his tenure as a failure - one for the fans forum perhaps.

Archived