First decade in our history

BaaLocks

Given I have now reconciled myself to the strong possibility that we will not make the play offs I also reconcile myself that the 201?s will be the first decade in our history where we haven't played at least one season of that decade in the top flight of the football league.

Kind of puts it all in perspective though I do appreciate that it is neither a particularly cheery post nor one that is likely to promote too much discussion and debate. It just is...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Given I have now reconciled myself to the strong possibility that we will not make the play offs I also reconcile myself that the 201?s will be the first decade in our history where we haven't played at least one season of that decade in the top flight of the football league.

Kind of puts it all in perspective though I do appreciate that it is neither a particularly cheery post nor one that is likely to promote too much discussion and debate. It just is...

First decade with no relegations though?

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I realised this not so long back. Historically we've either been feast or famine but at the minute, we're just boring - Groundhog Day of anaemic promotion pushes & managerial changes.

I think its only the presence of other big clubs plus Forest down the road that is keeping folk sane. 

Happily there are still people nationwide who do regard us as top tier club based on our history (in the same way they don't accept of Bournemouth, Brighton etc) but that must be fading the longer we stay at this level.

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I realised this not so long back. Historically we've either been feast or famine but at the minute, we're just boring - Groundhog Day of anaemic promotion pushes & managerial changes.

I think its only the presence of other big clubs plus Forest down the road that is keeping folk sane. 

Happily there are still people nationwide who do regard us as top tier club based on our history (in the same way they don't accept of Bournemouth, Brighton etc) but that must be fading the longer we stay at this level.

We are just plainly not a top tier side. The last time we had a proper spell was almost 20 years ago. Reality is we are a second tier side. We are well supported for the second tier but we have gone a long time without any real success.

5 minutes ago, Davide said:

We are just plainly not a top tier side. The last time we had a proper spell was almost 20 years ago. Reality is we are a second tier side. We are well supported for the second tier but we have gone a long time without any real success.

Of the 125 seasons since the establishment of a second division, we've spent 71 of them in the top division. We've won it twice in living memory & finished in the top 5 of the top division 16 times, 6 of those since 1970.

Yes, we've been stranded at this level for much of the last 20 years but amongst many of those of an older generation, Derby are seen as a top tier club. 

18 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Of the 125 seasons since the establishment of a second division, we've spent 71 of them in the top division. We've won it twice in living memory & finished in the top 5 of the top division 16 times, 6 of those since 1970.

Yes, we've been stranded at this level for much of the last 20 years but amongst many of those of an older generation, Derby are seen as a top tier club. 

Problem we have now is a younger generation who seem to accept mediocrity.

32 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I understand what you’re saying. It will be different perceptions for different generations. Young people now would certainly see Watford as a bigger club than Portsmouth for example. In our division however there are a lot of traditonally bigger ‘top tier’ clubs. 

But Derby have had any real success in my lifetime unfortunately. 

37 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Then there’s my generation… who since the age of six have known one top flight season, coming from our one play-off success from five attempts ?

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

As I get older, I don't get as excited... or as downhearted... as many on here, when it comes to The Rams.

I've witnessed enough now to know that "There are more important things in life", and the fact is, this latest bout of doom and gloom is all a bit "meh" to me.

...Until I read your post!  NOW, I'm depressed!* 

*"Good" fact to know though, so thanks for that!  spacer.png

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Hang on a minute. If the decade starts in season 2010/11 then we've got until the end of 2020/21. Ages yet for Frank and Mel to work their magic

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

20 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

2010-11 to 2020-21.

Still a decade. Depends where you start 

True, strictly, as there never was a year zero. So were you one of those people who didn't celebrate the start of the third millennium till 2001?

Archived