Now is the time to back Frank and the Club

TuffLuff

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David said:

Just listened to the RD phone in, feared the worst, pleasantly surprised. Mostly positive with calls echoing thoughts in this topic bar the odd text. 

I haven’t posted in the Sack Frank thread, refuse to entertain the insanity of calling for his head.

Most replies were supportive as were the calls tonight on RD, Frank has backing of the majority it would seem. 

This is the topic that’s needed and should be at the top of the page right now.

My own view is that if the crowd and general atmosphere got significantly worse, Frank may decide he doesn't need it and walk.

Not saying that's very likely, but slightly more plausible than him being fired which would be truly bonkers.

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

My own view is that if the crowd and general atmosphere got significantly worse, Frank may decide he doesn't need it and walk.

Not saying that's very likely, but slightly more plausible than him being fired which would be truly bonkers.

Can’t see it myself, when was the last time Derby fans caused a manager to walk with through a toxic atmosphere?

On a scale of 1-10 this is probably a 1.5 at the minute, at that’s through frustration of recent performances, win tomorrow and a couple of the other 3 home games and all this is forgotten. 

As I said in another topic, last season was far far worse and even then Rowett had a fair amount of support, no fans were forced to destroy a bedsheet and write Rowett Out on.

Would take something special for us to force a manager out. 

Four home games back-to-back is a great chance for us to build some momentum, especially as those are against teams not in the top half. However, the question is do you trust our fans to support from minute one? I have no doubt that individually we will have fans that will support the team, but collectively you've got to say that when things aren't going well we don't have a fanbase that gets behind the team. 

Lampard has brought up the need for the fans to support the team in the last few interviews, Rowett also brought it up when we went through a similarly poor spell last season, we didn't and haven't done it in the previous 3-4 years so I don't expect to do it this season. 

The atmosphere at Pride Park has been as poor as it ever has been IMO, not just at the moment but since it opened. 

11 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

We’ve all spat our dummy out this weekend, but now is the time to draw a line under it. Less ‘I know the formation/team to get us out of this mess’ or the rhetoric that promotion is everything this season currently stated by the the likes of Ramage/Dawes et al.

A reality check is needed, we have a young manager and a squad in transition. Mistakes have been made yes, but progress is slow and there’s enough there for us to look past this season.

Frank, Derby County and Morris get enough stick away from the club so why bandwagon ourselves onto that mindset.

Its time to back ourselves and the future of Derby County now, dust ourselves down from the last two results. As fans we expect far too much and cry when it’s not delivered. Starting tomorrow, as fans let’s turn up and despite the result show Frank, Morris and the club and we at least back what they are trying to do rather than putting more pressure on? 

*im now happy clapper btw, just fed up of the attitude that’s seen online and on the radio. Maybe it’s time to show some faith?

Great post mate, and yes it's time to show the football world, how Derby fans show there support for the club and management team, just one thing to point out, I go to the match with 10 plus more supporters, know another 10 who sit in the same stand as myself, and everyone of us is backing Frank, it's only a few fans on this forum, and yes it's the same ones who never backed any of our managers in the past, but most fans I know who are family, work mates, , mates in generally all back Frank to get it right if given time, and that's about 50 fans, who support the club through thick or thin, hope Radio Derby becomes a bit more positive tomorrow night as well. Once a Ram always a Ram.

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Four home games back-to-back is a great chance for us to build some momentum, especially as those are against teams not in the top half. However, the question is do you trust our fans to support from minute one? I have no doubt that individually we will have fans that will support the team, but collectively you've got to say that when things aren't going well we don't have a fanbase that gets behind the team. 

Lampard has brought up the need for the fans to support the team in the last few interviews, Rowett also brought it up when we went through a similarly poor spell last season, we didn't and haven't done it in the previous 3-4 years so I don't expect to do it this season. 

The atmosphere at Pride Park has been as poor as it ever has been IMO, not just at the moment but since it opened. 

Interesting that you say this as I have often wondered whether it was just me imagining as much or having a rose-tinted view on 'the good old days'. I stopped attending more than a handful of games a year a few years back now. It wasn't the football that brought about the change, it was the atmosphere at games where we weren't dominating. Sometimes it felt quite toxic and certainly not like a band of brothers (and sisters!) who would support their team through thick and thin, more like a collective of individuals, each of whom was determined to voice their opinion, be it positive or negative. 

These days, any objectivity, let alone blind devotion to the team, is viewed with downright disdain - ignorant, deluded, happy-clappers, jeez there are any number of terms applied to any folk who look to stand behind the team no matter what, yet the same folk are quick to whine that they're being 'bullied' if any choice words come back in their direction. Slowly but surely I find myself falling out of love with the club and the sad thing is it's got nothing to do with poor performances and everything to do with other fans and their need to express their displeasure at every possible opportunity. The anti-Keogh mob are a prime example. They absolutely do my head in. Nowhere to be seen when he is consistently outperforming the rest of the side yet here in droves when he makes a mistake. Why? What posible pleasure can that bring to the poison pen brigade?

Someone else has said that the forum is heading back to the divided and toxic days of Rowett's tenure and whilst there's not enough of the season left to plumb those depths, I know exactly what they mean. I'm going to be spending a lot less time on here as ploughing through endless anti-Frank, anti the team, anti the owner sledging without an ounce of humour behind any of it is becoming far too laborious just to read a few posts from fans who are trying to remain upbeat and getting into it with those who never do anything but sledge the club irrespective of results has become a drain too. Sadly, I'm falling out of love with all of it, if truth be told. 

9 hours ago, 86 points said:

Interesting that you say this as I have often wondered whether it was just me imagining as much or having a rose-tinted view on 'the good old days'. I stopped attending more than a handful of games a year a few years back now. It wasn't the football that brought about the change, it was the atmosphere at games where we weren't dominating. Sometimes it felt quite toxic and certainly not like a band of brothers (and sisters!) who would support their team through thick and thin, more like a collective of individuals, each of whom was determined to voice their opinion, be it positive or negative. 

These days, any objectivity, let alone blind devotion to the team, is viewed with downright disdain - ignorant, deluded, happy-clappers, jeez there are any number of terms applied to any folk who look to stand behind the team no matter what, yet the same folk are quick to whine that they're being 'bullied' if any choice words come back in their direction. Slowly but surely I find myself falling out of love with the club and the sad thing is it's got nothing to do with poor performances and everything to do with other fans and their need to express their displeasure at every possible opportunity. The anti-Keogh mob are a prime example. They absolutely do my head in. Nowhere to be seen when he is consistently outperforming the rest of the side yet here in droves when he makes a mistake. Why? What posible pleasure can that bring to the poison pen brigade?

Someone else has said that the forum is heading back to the divided and toxic days of Rowett's tenure and whilst there's not enough of the season left to plumb those depths, I know exactly what they mean. I'm going to be spending a lot less time on here as ploughing through endless anti-Frank, anti the team, anti the owner sledging without an ounce of humour behind any of it is becoming far too laborious just to read a few posts from fans who are trying to remain upbeat and getting into it with those who never do anything but sledge the club irrespective of results has become a drain too. Sadly, I'm falling out of love with all of it, if truth be told. 

All the more reason to stay around and combat the negativity  (but I know what you mean.) 

Why the most negative posters seem to have endless hours and the motivation to repeat themselves endlessly, I do not know. Or the lack of self perception to know when to give it a rest.

I can only presume they're at a loose end socially speaking as they have no friends in real life! 

Who was it on here talking about Norwich's manager Sarke the other day? Looking at Norwich last season they were nothing to remember at all. In their entire season they had won 15 games (we've currently won 14), lots of boring 1-0 wins and no game was ever won with more than a 2-0 lead. You only have to look at their forums from last season and there are lots of posts and threads talking about how displeased they are even the "Sarke out" talks.

Fast forward just one season still under the same manager and look at them now. It pains me to see us lose so many games and to witness such a poor atmosphere at PP, which is why we need to just support the team no matter what. I think we need more patience big time.

If we aren't promoted then we will lose a lot of players. If we still have Frank, Jody, etc. then we can have a fresh start to a new season with new players some of which could come from the excellent U23 squad we have who are THIRD in the Premier League 2 table. There are plenty of examples - Norwich included - to show you don't have to spend big to succeed. Plus with having someone like the manager we have, we could attract players we might not normally be able to.

I'm annoyed the season hasn't gone the way it initially looked like it might do, but come on... Frank has done well overall in just the 10 months he's been here. We're 3 points of playoffs and if this year isn't ours' all I can do is have faith in the team and management and get behind them for next season.

10 hours ago, 86 points said:

This is an exellent post and can really feel the pain as i sometimes feel the same and yet you must care to even come on here and write how you feel so i applaud you for that 

The critics on here about Keogh infuriate me because when he's  keeping us in games with fantastic defending you don't hear a squeak from certain so called fans.

Keogh makes errors, who doesnt but no one can question his heart and desire for this club and he is a good player lets not forget that!

I also got pissed off last when last week someone on here questioned why i bother being a fan and i'm a whinger...lol....I can tell anyone on here reading this that i am one of the most vocal fans in a positive way and will always get behind this team as its a huge part of my life but your post is very apt as i get fed up with certain fans who all they do is moan at every oppurtunity and shout out ridiculous statements both at PP and on here...it is a drain 86 but keep going and get behind the team like i will as Derby needs the proper positive fans ....especially in the next few games.......?

10 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Great post mate, and yes it's time to show the football world, how Derby fans show there support for the club and management team, just one thing to point out, I go to the match with 10 plus more supporters, know another 10 who sit in the same stand as myself, and everyone of us is backing Frank, it's only a few fans on this forum, and yes it's the same ones who never backed any of our managers in the past, but most fans I know who are family, work mates, , mates in generally all back Frank to get it right if given time, and that's about 50 fans, who support the club through thick or thin, hope Radio Derby becomes a bit more positive tomorrow night as well. Once a Ram always a Ram.

Fully agree, I don’t think there's many actually calling for heads to roll. My issue is more about the complacency that I think is certainly more evident online, on the radio and that is creeping into the stands (especially against Millwall with people around me suddenly becoming football experts). It comes from the thinking that promotion is the be all and end all when in reality we aren’t quite ready for all the reasons that are expressed on here daily. It can even be seen now, with the talk of ‘four winnable games’ when each one will be a slog. It’s again putting an unrealistic proposition of 10-12 points out of those games to then feel let down when it doesn’t happen.

We can’t go into any game expecting to win, we haven’t been that good for a long time, and fans as part of the collective need to play that part in pushing the players.

40 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

Who was it on here talking about Norwich's manager Sarke the other day? Looking at Norwich last season they were nothing to remember at all. In their entire season they had won 15 games (we've currently won 14), lots of boring 1-0 wins and no game was ever won with more than a 2-0 lead. You only have to look at their forums from last season and there are lots of posts and threads talking about how displeased they are even the "Sarke out" talks.

Fast forward just one season still under the same manager and look at them now. It pains me to see us lose so many games and to witness such a poor atmosphere at PP, which is why we need to just support the team no matter what. I think we need more patience big time.

If we aren't promoted then we will lose a lot of players. If we still have Frank, Jody, etc. then we can have a fresh start to a new season with new players some of which could come from the excellent U23 squad we have who are THIRD in the Premier League 2 table. There are plenty of examples - Norwich included - to show you don't have to spend big to succeed. Plus with having someone like the manager we have, we could attract players we might not normally be able to.

I'm annoyed the season hasn't gone the way it initially looked like it might do, but come on... Frank has done well overall in just the 10 months he's been here. We're 3 points of playoffs and if this year isn't ours' all I can do is have faith in the team and management and get behind them for next season.

Actually the first 3 months of THIS season Norwich were pretty much the same too. But then it all clicked for them and away they go.

And we're all writing this season off, but I kinda have a sneaky feeling we'll scrape the playoffs by 1 point from Forest. Then we'll go up Huddersfield style. Penalty shoot-out. Keogh with the winner.

Exactly and that's what it is about -- patience! 

I'm not writing it off either. I still think play offs are totally possible, but if we don't make them then I'm absolutely fine with that provided Frank and the team stick with us and commit to another season. Would be the stuff of dreams if it went that way! 

If we do get back up there I hope we don't end up playing Huddersfield style ?

23 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

We’ve all spat our dummy out this weekend, but now is the time to draw a line under it. Less ‘I know the formation/team to get us out of this mess’ or the rhetoric that promotion is everything this season currently stated by the the likes of Ramage/Dawes et al.

A reality check is needed, we have a young manager and a squad in transition. Mistakes have been made yes, but progress is slow and there’s enough there for us to look past this season.

Frank, Derby County and Morris get enough stick away from the club so why bandwagon ourselves onto that mindset.

Its time to back ourselves and the future of Derby County now, dust ourselves down from the last two results. As fans we expect far too much and cry when it’s not delivered. Starting tomorrow, as fans let’s turn up and despite the result show Frank, Morris and the club and we at least back what they are trying to do rather than putting more pressure on? 

*im now happy clapper btw, just fed up of the attitude that’s seen online and on the radio. Maybe it’s time to show some faith?

I think far too many fans believe the hype of we have FL here so that equals promotion.

He cannot make a silk purse from pigs ears.....we are simply not good enough.

Now if he gets the chance of a complete clear out end of season of those that are not up to what he wants and has funds to bring in quality, then we may have a chance of looking like a promotion team next season.

18 minutes ago, toddy said:

I think far too many fans believe the hype of we have FL here so that equals promotion.

Now if he gets the chance of a complete clear out end of season of those that are not up to what he wants and has funds to bring in quality, then we may have a chance of looking like a promotion team the season after next.

FTFY

7 minutes ago, toddy said:

Now if he gets the chance of a complete clear out end of season of those that are not up to what he wants and has funds to bring in quality, then we may have a chance of looking like a promotion team next season.

To be honest I don’t even think it’s the Frank effect. I think a lot of it is fans falling into the trap set by Sky and the like that we *should* be up near the top every season just because we are a big club in the division. I think that thinking has largely set up the fans being complacent (I guess the amount of money the club has spent goes hand in hand an maybe they’ve also believed that hype).

A big clear out is certainly needed. A ‘spine’ of the side needs forming too with the players he brought in...oh and Chris Martin too ?

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

To be honest I don’t even think it’s the Frank effect. I think a lot of it is fans falling into the trap set by Sky and the like that we *should* be up near the top every season just because we are a big club in the division. I think that thinking has largely set up the fans being complacent (I guess the amount of money the club has spent goes hand in hand an maybe they’ve also believed that hype).

A big clear out is certainly needed. A ‘spine’ of the side needs forming too with the players he brought in...oh and Chris Martin too ?

Yeah we could offer Martin an improved contract and tie him up for another 3 seasons. Remember that one?

What a ludicrous idea that was.

The lad was a spent force and not many could see it.

Martin will be part of the clear out. ?

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yeah we could offer Martin an improved contract and tie him up for another 3 seasons. Remember that one?

What a ludicrous idea that was.

The lad was a spent force and not many could see it.

Martin will be part of the clear out. ?

Yawn.

Well thank goodness for Waghorn.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

All the more reason to stay around and combat the negativity  (but I know what you mean.) 

Why the most negative posters seem to have endless hours and the motivation to repeat themselves endlessly, I do not know. Or the lack of self perception to know when to give it a rest.

I can only presume they're at a loose end socially speaking as they have no friends in real life! 

It's exhausting! It's been a really difficult last few months personally anyway and I guess naively that I visit these pages to relax or find something positive to focus on, but with the team in poor form, it's really not the ticket. I suppose I should make better use of the 'ignore' function!

In fairness to the forum, social media and the internet in general does not bring folk together as I thought it would back in the day. If fans of the same football club can be so divided then it stands to reason that folk with no connections (or opposing points of view) will be even more polarised given the anonymity of online posting. Most often I give at least as good as I get so I'm a long way from blameless myself, but I'm losing interest in trying to add any objectivity to these full-on feeding frenzies every time we lose form. It's just a grinding Groundhog day affair whose appeal has now run thin.

Archived