Our Best Team

David

Seen quite a few posts saying Frank doesn’t know his best team which given the injuries I don’t believe is entirely fair.

Using a fully fit squad what would be your best team and bench look like?

You can include Forsyth and Davis that picked up long term injuries this season.

After writing down your best team and bench, use the bold tool to mark players that are currently or recently been injured for a number of games.

Carson, Forsyth, Tomori, Keogh, Bogle, Huddlestone, Wilson, Mount, Lawrence, Marriott, Holmes

Bench: Roos, Davies, Wisdom, Johnson, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Waghorn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Carson, Forsythe, Davies, Keogh, Bogle, Thorne, Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Marriott, Martin

Roos, Tomori, Waghorn, Huddlestone, Johnson, Bennett, Wisdom.

Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Cole, Johnson, Wilson, Holmes, FloJo, Marriott, Martin.

Roos, Waghorn, Mount, Lawrence, Wisdom, Tomori, Lowe

Not bolding Carson as Roos is a decent cover.

Same for Marriott, Waghorn is decent cover.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Cole, Johnson, Wilson, Holmes, FloJo, Marriott, Martin.

I’ll bold them for you as they have been injured decent cover or not.

Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Wilson, Mount, Holmes, Marriott, Waghorn

Roos, Davies, Cole, Evans, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Nugent

No room for Bryson and I would rather Thomas be in and around than Bennett. 

What I wouldn't do is put Bennett on the bench for Jozefzoon and then next week put Jozefzoon in the starting 11 and drop Bennett to the bench for Nugent and then the week after put Nugent in the team while putting Evans in and shifting Wilson to the wing and.... tinker tinker

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

3 minutes ago, David said:

I’ll bold them for you as they have been injured decent cover or not.

Surely they have to be included as they will not be available for the bench, thus weakening the squad and putting added pressure on those available?

Carson

Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth

Huddlestone

Mount Holmes

Wilson Waghorn Lawrence

It goes without saying that injuries have really skewed how we set up our starting 11. We don’t have many like for likes, so it hard to just put in Wilson/Holmes for Mount and play the same way.

I think the midfield desperately needs help, it needs an extra body dropping in and picking the ball up off them. Unfortunately, despite being probably in our 11 best players I don’t think Marriott fits into our best starting 11 right now. Next season, I think if we improve midfield and hone the system, he will.

But right now, would rather have Waghorn as the lone striker. If you have him playing with our most talented pass and movers in Holmes/Mount, we’ll look a lot better and be able to play down the middle better.

We play way too much football around the centre circle and down the wing. Need to get the ball to the edge of the box faster, I think Waghorn is our best way to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Wilson, Mount, Holmes, Marriott, Waghorn

Roos, Davies, Cole, Evans, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Nugent

No room for Bryson and I would rather Thomas be in and around than Bennett. 

What I wouldn't do is put Bennett on the bench for Jozefzoon and then next week put Jozefzoon in the starting 11 and drop Bennett to the bench for Nugent and then the week after put Nugent in the team while putting Evans in and shifting Wilson to the wing and.... tinker tinker

Missed out Marriott.

I wouldn’t have put the team out Frank did yesterday, but when you see these teams written down and they are all missing numerous key players, I’m not sure it’s fair to say he doesn’t know his best team. 

What I would say is he probably hasn’t been able to name his best team for a number of weeks now and the players that have come in haven’t showed enough consistency to keep the shirt.

To echo his words last night, it’s not an excuse but it is a reason.

We have the players capable of putting a decent team out that would give anyone a game on its day, what we don’t have is the quality in depth to come in and play the football Frank talks about.

As we saw under McClaren, our troubles have come from not being able to find a Plan B to cope with the loss of key players.

The fact he’s being called a tinker man says it’s not for a lack of trying.

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Wilson, Mount, Waghorn, Marriott, Holmes.

Roos, Bogle, Davis, Lawrence, Cole, Bennett, Flo Jo.

I think that the midfield is a bit lightweight both on the pitch and on the bench. Perhaps I would change Cole for Bryson depending on the opposition? I think that Bogle has a great future, but I just don't see him as quite ready either defensively or as an attacking threat at the moment. He needs to improve his decision making in the attacking half, but I suppose he needs game time to help him improve.

Carson

wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth     

Huddlestone    

Mount.       Bryson

wilson.      Marriott.     Lawrence 

bench roos tomori Martin Bennett holmes Johnson bogle 

defenders who can defend forwards who can attack and midfielders who can move 

yes I would use Martin as we own him and he can work with those forwards and midfielders and I would find a place for thorne if he was fully fit as an immobile Huddlestone is as good as an immobile thorne 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

Totally irrelevant post.  Football's played on the pitch not on paper.  I haven't seen any evidence so far this season that whatever the team is that Frank picks he's getting anywhere near enough out of those group of players.

Totally relevant when the players on paper cannot be put on the pitch.

Just now, David said:

Totally relevant when the players on paper cannot be put on the pitch.

Nonsense. Whatever the team is I would expect the manager to get the most out of that group of players, I've not seen any evidence of that so far from Lampard.

Carson

Bogle     Keogh.       Tomori.     Cole 

Thorne 

Mount.                 Holmes 

Lawrence       Marriott.          Waghorn 

Roos Malone Davies Wilson Josefzoon Huddlestone Bryson

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Nonsense. Whatever the team is I would expect the manager to get the most out of that group of players, I've not seen any evidence of that so far from Lampard.

Go make me a cake without eggs and flour then come back to me and tell me it’s nonsense.

Any team in this league would struggle with the number of injuries to key players we have without the depth and quality to come in and replace, if you believe otherwise it’s best we agree to disagree. 

Archived