Permanent signings this season

Sparkle

What are people’s views on our permanent signings this season?

malone - ok going forward and has scored once without any assists that I can remember- defensively not very good at all

holmes - some promising moments but central midfield is not his place in the side as he can’t tackle or pass well from that position 

Evans - I have seen nothing to encourage me at all 

waghorn- ok but nothing more, tries hard but has little help in my opinion not good enough to be a centre forward consistently 

Marriott- if he gets delivery and space in behind he can score so for me a decent signing but he gets very little help

jo flo - never going to be more than a decent sub option as his starting performances have shown 

ok we have Cole and ambrose signed but have done little so far

i know we have season long loans in mount Wilson and tomori which have been good but they are not ours

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What matters is what we thought of those signings at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

malone - i didn't really know him, but we needed another left back. Our first choice seemed to be joe bryan but we got priced out of that one with villa and fulham both ahead of us in the race. Barry Douglas might have been a better option. He went to Leeds but got injured early on. Max Lowe is nowhere near good enough. Verdict : good enough for mid-table only.

holmes - i knew him from the boxing day game away at huddersfield. Clearly has potential. He is smaller than i rememember, and a better player. This is the sort of signing we can genuinely afford. Although i can't yet tell what his best position is, his versatility is an added bonus. Verdict: good signing.

evans - i'd never heard of him. Googled him to find the 30 yarder he scored for man city. Similar to holmes in that he is the sort of lower cost signing we should concentrate on. And also similar in that i have no idea about his best position. Reminds me of Don o'riordon - a centre half who we played briefly in midfield. He went on to have a good lower league career. Might yet make a central defender although lack of pace could be an issue. Verdict Worth perservering with. Maybe not as the fulcrum of the midfield.

waghorn - i thought he was overpriced and i would not have paid that fee for a 27/28 year old. Furthermore unless we were going to play two up front we were going to struggle to accommodate him and marriott. It felt like an Arthur Cox spending spree kind of signing. At that age we will struggle to recover our money. Verdict - not one i would have bought at that price, and i have been a bit disappointed in him.

jozefzoon - i was surprised when we were linked with him. I assumed it was just agent talk. Having seen brentford numerous times, this was not one of the players who had left a memorable impression. Again i thought the fee was too much for another 27 year old. Same age as johnny russell - this looked like it could be a johnson / butterfield kind of silly-money replacement. He has come through the ajax academy so must have some ability. So far he reminds me of simon dawkins. Verdict - not one i would have bought at that price, and another i have been a bit disappointed in.

Marriott - i didn't know him. Was slightly dubious as he'd only really had one good season. Looked too small. Probably not a player i would have bought. However his attitude is great. He is like another kev wilson / bobby d. Still not sure whether he can play up front on his own but he has been the best of the bunch. Verdict - i wouldn't have signed him but i think he's done ok. 

At the end of the season, i'd would probably be trying to sell malone, jozefzoon, and waghorn or trade for someone better.

the more interesting question is who?

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What matters is what we thought of those signings at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

malone - i didn't really know him, but we needed another left back. Our first choice seemed to be joe bryan but we got priced out of that one with villa and fulham both ahead of us in the race. Barry Douglas might have been a better option. He went to Leeds but got injured early on. Max Lowe is nowhere near good enough. Verdict : good enough for mid-table only.

holmes - i knew him from the boxing day game away at huddersfield. Clearly has potential. He is smaller than i rememember, and a better player. This is the sort of signing we can genuinely afford. Although i can't yet tell what his best position is, his versatility is an added bonus. Verdict: good signing.

evans - i'd never heard of him. Googled him to find the 30 yarder he scored for man city. Similar to holmes in that he is the sort of lower cost signing we should concentrate on. And also similar in that i have no idea about his best position. Reminds me of Don o'riordon - a centre half who we played briefly in midfield. He went on to have a good lower league career. Might yet make a central defender although lack of pace could be an issue. Verdict Worth perservering with. Maybe not as the fulcrum of the midfield.

waghorn - i thought he was overpriced and i would not have paid that fee for a 27/28 year old. Furthermore unless we were going to play two up front we were going to struggle to accommodate him and marriott. It felt like an Arthur Cox spending spree kind of signing. At that age we will struggle to recover our money. Verdict - not one i would have bought at that price, and i have been a bit disappointed in him.

jozefzoon - i was surprised when we were linked with him. I assumed it was just agent talk. Having seen brentford numerous times, this was not one of the players who had left a memorable impression. Again i thought the fee was too much for another 27 year old. Same age as johnny russell - this looked like it could be a johnson / butterfield kind of silly-money replacement. He has come through the ajax academy so must have some ability. So far he reminds me of simon dawkins. Verdict - not one i would have bought at that price, and another i have been a bit disappointed in.

Marriott - i didn't know him. Was slightly dubious as he'd only really had one good season. Looked too small. Probably not a player i would have bought. However his attitude is great. He is like another kev wilson / bobby d. Still not sure whether he can play up front on his own but he has been the best of the bunch. Verdict - i wouldn't have signed him but i think he's done ok. 

At the end of the season, i'd would probably be trying to sell malone, jozefzoon, and waghorn or trade for someone better.

No, what matters is how they have performed, not what we thought of the signings at the time.....

Malone- good footballer, atrocious defender, tho coaching may not be helping him

Holmes- Excellent player, coached well will become one of our best imo

Evans- Dunno what he does

Waghorn- Good player, brings balance and needs to be played more

Josefzoon- Something in there but he’s done nothing so far

Marriott- Again an excellent player, struggling with fitness

Imo aside from Evans I can see something in all our permanent signings, imo frank isn’t getting the best out of them.

Good:Marriott, Waghorn, Holmes

OK: Malone, Joseofzoon

Poor: Evans.

I know a lot of folk will peg Zoon and Malone as poor, but I think the deals that signed them weren't too bad and the only one that I think hasn't worked at all has been Evans, although he did have a knee injury that might not be helping.

We paid significant money for Jack and Horn, but they've been good. Holmes a real bargain.

Malone did play all through our good spell, but seems a bit cyrus Christie like, wasn't megabucks. Zoon is out of form, not settled and we've had better options in Lawrence and Waghorn but I think he's a decent player who will come good.

40 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No, what matters is how they have performed, not what we thought of the signings at the time.....

I have told you my opinion on how they have performed. But the manager has to make a judgement before they've pulled a shirt on. Even if a signing has turned out crap, it might have been a totally correct signing at the time.

Genuinely don’t think we’ve seen the best of Malone. He’s had quite a stop start season with injuries but in our good performances this season he has been prominent in most of them. He was in the championship team of the year when at Fulham!

Waghorn - forget the price, good player definitely improves us,needs to play more.

Marriott - class signing and lots of potential to be even better 

Holmes - we didn’t spend a lot on him so worth the gamble. Not sure what his best position is but looks a player and a lot have said he’s been one of the better players in recent weeks.

Jozefzoon - has ability but so inconsistent its untrue. Leeds were after him too so obviously has something. Not been a great buy so far

Evans - didn’t spend a lot so worth the gamble - not paid off, just don’t see what he brings to the team. He was meant to be a good passer and was key part of Reading team that got to the playoff final, however his passing has been atrocious!! Constantly gives the ball away.

So 4 out of 6, about 66%, not bad but could be better, deserves time to try and improve his success rate. It should be said that the loans have all been spot on which would improve the percentage 

The waghorn one puzzles me more than anything ,, as franks  most expensive signing I was expecting him to be more of a regular starter and a bit of a vital cog but he just seems to be squad player status,,

impressed early with Marriott but I’m getting a bit frustrated as he seems to either look for fouls or foul the opposition most of the time now

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

The waghorn one puzzles me more than anything ,, as franks  most expensive signing I was expecting him to be more of a regular starter and a bit of a vital cog but he just seems to be squad player status,,

impressed early with Marriott but I’m getting a bit frustrated as he seems to either look for fouls or foul the opposition most of the time now

He’s just trying to find something to do as he never gets the ball these days

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

He’s just trying to find something to do as he never gets the ball these days

Also agree he s not getting the right kind of service or much of any just now but not sure he’s dealing with that the best way either as when he get s the ball he very rarely does much other than lose it , go down looking for a foul or fouling the opposition ,may be finding the step up and our lack of form frustrating and not doing well with it at this point , not saying there’s not a decent player in there but like a lot of our players not perhaps coping well when things not quite going for them 

If you consider each player against transfer outlay or value for money then Marriott has done OK, Waghorn and Jozefoon have been a largely a waste of money and even though Evan's didn't cost a huge outlay his performances have been poor. 

We still seem to be getting very poor value for money with our transfers as we have done historically, whose door does that need to be laid at?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He's nowhere near as good as Eustace so far. 

Eustace was playing in a balanced midfield which featured better individuals as well. 

Evans hasn’t had that luxury. 

The role of winning the ball and keeping it simple does rely on decent players to give it to.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Agree with all a part from flo jos comparison to simon Dawkins. Dawkins was and still is completely underrated by a lot of Derby fans for his time at Derby. Went off the boil and mainly down to personal reasons but if you go back and watch our goals in 13 14 and 14 15 ( look at martins for example on YouTube) he plays a part in many of them. His close ball control and link up was extremely useful in macs style. Yet he got criticised for not taking the ball to the byline and crossing it enough when he wasn't an out and out winger. I don't think flo jo possesses the same intelligence as Dawkins and if he does he doesn't show it anywhere near enough. He did look threatening against millwall and in patches against forest. Haven't seen villa but can't imagine he did much. Overall agree that he isn't good enough and we overpaid. 

25 minutes ago, cannable said:

Evans hasn’t been bad, people’s expectations of him have been Pirlo when in reality he’s Eustace

He certainly seems to be getting a lot of criticism, and written off, for a lad who's started only 5, yes FIVE(!!!) games this season. Standard.

8 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Agree with all a part from flo jos comparison to simon Dawkins. Dawkins was and still is completely underrated by a lot of Derby fans for his time at Derby. Went off the boil and mainly down to personal reasons but if you go back and watch our goals in 13 14 and 14 15 ( look at martins for example on YouTube) he plays a part in many of them. His close ball control and link up was extremely useful in macs style. Yet he got criticised for not taking the ball to the byline and crossing it enough when he wasn't an out and out winger. I don't think flo jo possesses the same intelligence as Dawkins and if he does he doesn't show it anywhere near enough. He did look threatening against millwall and in patches against forest. Haven't seen villa but can't imagine he did much. Overall agree that he isn't good enough and we overpaid. 

Flo Jo possesses no intelligence whatsoever. I think he’s an awful footballer. Doesn’t run behind, wants it to feet, threatens to take players on but actually doesn’t. Crossing terrible, can’t kick a ball properly, when the going gets tough he is nowhere to be found, etc

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Flo Jo possesses no intelligence whatsoever. I think he’s an awful footballer. Doesn’t run behind, wants it to feet, threatens to take players on but actually doesn’t. Crossing terrible, can’t kick a ball properly, when the going gets tough he is nowhere to be found, etc

Yea but apart from that

Archived