Our fans

Vienna

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Last summer there was nothing to base our enthusiasm on but it's a new start, and Mel's picked his man so off we go. Now there are things to base an opinion on I see no problem with fans changing their opinion. 

A 'new start'? Was that your sole criteria for a new manager?

Like I said elsewhere, a rookie manager needs support - not dispensing at the first serious downturn. Based on what I've read on here this week, a similarly inexperienced Brian Clough wouldn't have got to 1968-69 were he managing now.

p.s. entirely fair criticising Frank, questioning his selections/tactics etc because it's not been great recently - its the conclusion that we need to replace him that I object to & something that you in particular appear to relish judging by recent posts & your campaign against Rowett last year. That may be unfair but its certainly how it comes across on here.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

A 'new start'? Was that your sole criteria for a new manager?

Like I said elsewhere, a rookie manager needs support - not dispensing at the first serious downturn. Based on what I've read on here this week, a similarly inexperienced Brian Clough wouldn't have got to 1968-69 were he managing now.

Not my criteria. Ask Mel what his criteria was. What else could it be based on, he didn't have the experience Clough had:

Hartlepools United 29 October 1965 to 5 June 1967 43.5% win record

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not my criteria. Ask Mel what his criteria was. What else could it be based on, he didn't have the experience Clough had:

I said at the time Frank was a big gamble by MM but he’s done so much better than I expected. 

Integrating the academy players like Bogle and now Bird is the way forward and I like some of his signings. 

Just a bad patch at the minute that’s all. 

BC is a one off never to be repeated by any manager 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not interested in Mel's criteria - the issue here is why certain posters were so enthusiastic about him starting. What was your criteria?

I don't think a season & a bit in the Fourth Division would have made Clough bombproof after finishing below Tim Ward's team. You certainly wouldn't have taken comfort in Rowett's record at Burton (44.4% win record) before calling for his head last year.

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

I'm confused. Why were you so keen on Lampard then?

He is the exact opposite of what you believe Derby needed to get promoted?

Mel was going to/appointed him. No point in starting the season thinking we're going dive, I didn't even do that with Pearson...well maybe I did by preseason actually! ?

Just now, 86 points said:

I wasn't under the illusion you were but if you're unwilling to answer the question then fair enough.

Why does it matter? I said this on another thread, I probably would sack him if we had someone better/more experienced lined up. But it's not my call, it's Mel's.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why does it matter? I said this on another thread, I probably would sack him if we had someone better/more experienced lined up. But it's not my call, it's Mel's.

By that logic there's no point in expressing any opinion then is there?

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

By that logic there's no point in expressing any opinion then is there?

Your logic is faulty. The reason I expressed an opinion is not because it matters - it doesn't, but because I wanted to.

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To be fair roy if you actually stop and read back over your posts re rowett and now lampard you keep moving the goalposts and I don’t know if you realise it but unless a manager gets promotion in his first season with us without any blips in form along the way he has to be replaced ,, oh and it has to be a certain brand of football too 

it’s a big ask 

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

To be fair roy if you actually stop and read back over your posts re rowett and now lampard you keep moving the goalposts and I don’t know if you realise it but unless a manager gets promotion in his first season with us without any blips in form along the way he has to be replaced ,, oh and it has to be a certain brand of football too 

it’s a big ask 

That's not how it is though is it? We've not had a 'long-term' manager to try for promotion in his second season have we? But anyway I said that if Snake got promotion then it would make up for his football style, he didn't and it didn't! With Lampard and the others bar Pearson (but even I wondered if he might know what he was doing until some of the Festa fans gave us the lowdown) what is the point in starting a season saying it's all crap? So if the seeds are there water them, but sorry for me FL looks like the pigeons have been in! ?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's not how it is though is it? We've not had a 'long-term' manager to try for promotion in his second season have we? But anyway I said that if Snake got promotion then it would make up for his football style, he didn't and it didn't! With Lampard and the others bar Pearson (but even I wondered if he might know what he was doing until some of the Festa fans gave us the lowdown) what is the point in starting a season saying it's all crap? So if the seeds are there water them, but sorry for me FL looks like the pigeons have been in! ?

Wassell anyone?

On 03/03/2019 at 10:25, RamNut said:

I want a them to describe whats happening and then defer to the expert for a brief opinion or insight. 90% observation, 10% opinion.

what we get is the absolute opposite. 90% opinion and 10% observation. 

I am genuinely not interested in ed dawes' opinion on anything. I just want him to describe what is happening. Throughout the match i had to listen to his opinion on the team selection, the lack of a centre half, the failure to recruit in january, the performance of the referee, the usual anti-keogh stuff, one gem - how brilliantly billy davies recruited in the january window LOL - the choice of substitute etc etc etc. all of which was his opinion as a fan and nothing more. At one point the commentary was " look at that, thats awful!" . Look at what you stupid cretin??

immediately after the Lampard interview Ed waded in again with his snidey comments. Radio Derby really needs to get a grip of it. Its as bad now as it ever has been.

You didn't have to listen to him, I assume there's an off button on your radio?

Archived