I wish Lampard were more like McVay

Bob The Badger

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

So here’s my point.

I definitely think we should give him until the end of next season. We have to stop this ducking merry-go-round. But there’s nothing short of a few games early on to suggest that he’s up for the job.

Sean-McVay-GF-595x351.jpg

Good post! McVey sounds like a potential genius in he making.

You could have just posted the pics though, and I'd have agreed with anything you said after that ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, David said:

Discussed as a future Chelsea manager, Lampard believes the prospect should not be entertained until he has achieved the success to merit it.

I'd be interested to know what success he believed he had achieved back in July to have gotten the Derby job.

5 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I'd be interested to know what success he believed he had achieved back in July to have gotten the Derby job.

England’s  best midfielder of a generation, won most domestic honours.

Maybe it was a risk, would you of made the decision?  

If you’re a Frank Lampard, you don’t cut your teeth in the lower leagues, Championship is the lowest I’d say.

Im trying to think of another similar high profile ex player who’s gone into management in a league below the championship?

Gerrard, straight to Rangers.

10 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If you’re a Frank Lampard, you don’t cut your teeth in the lower leagues, Championship is the lowest I’d say.

Im trying to think of another similar high profile ex player who’s gone into management in a league below the championship?

Gerrard, straight to Rangers.

Edgar Davids at Barnet?

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Sorry but you don't need to throw yourself into something 24/7 to become good at it.

Learn from your mistakes is key - today wasn't the day to do as many changes as he did.

Become good at making key decisions, you either have this ability or you don't.

Listen from people around you.

That doesn't mean 24/7 working. 

I wouldn't want the bloke to be doing that. I hope he goes home tonight, turns the tele off, sits down with Christine, hugs his baby, and doesn't think about it. Then wake up tomorrow, sit down the coaching team, watch the game back, identify the improvements and then focus on Tuesday's huge game.

Exactly work smarter not harder ?

Would you rather have Pep guardiola for a hour a day at the training pitch or someone like Paul Clement in 24 hours a day being a busy fool

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

He was, without doubt, one of the best English midfielders of his generation, but the number of great players who have made great managers is small. I know that sometime people on here like to criticise some fans for overegging Derby's stature within the game in the greater scheme of things but the fact is, this IS one of the biggest jobs in the Championship. I'd argue, after Leeds and Villa, the biggest, and it's also probably  the toughest. Appointing someone who, prior to this season, had managed as many first team football games as a member of this forum, was stupidity in my honest opinion. Lampard, to my knowledge, hasn't even worked as assistant manager anywhere.

I posted on here at the time that I was against the appointment of Lampard because I don't like Derby appointing untested managers with no experience of management at this (or in Lampard's case, any) level. I wouldn't have appointed Lampard - in fact I wouldn't have even entertained the idea.

Would have been a good idea to bring an experianced coach in 

The whole backroom staff lacks experience. An old head not even as an assistant but just as a coach an Eric Steele type coming back as part of the team might have been ideal

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Edgar Davids at Barnet?

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Sol Campbell at Macclesfield

Teddy Sheringham at Stevenage

2 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Paul Ince Macclesfield

Peter Shilton Plymouth 

Give me someone on Lampard level.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Didier Deschamps, retired at Valencia I’m 2001 and immediately took over as manager at Monaco. Won the league in 2003 and took the club to its first Champions League final in 2004.

1 hour ago, David said:

Didier Deschamps, retired at Valencia I’m 2001 and immediately took over as manager at Monaco. Won the league in 2003 and took the club to its first Champions League final in 2004.

The water carrier?

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

How can they when you said he was the best player of his generation?

Having said that, position for position Shilton was easily on his level. He was the best keeper in the world for the best part of a decade. If it wasn't for the ridiculous rotating goalkeeper system with him and Ray Clemence that Ron Greenwood (I think) utilized, Shilts would have had 160+ caps, which is just mind-blowing.

Teddy Sheringham was also very, very good for a period. Not at Franks level tbf, but a different type of player so tricky to compare, but he was an automatic choice for England for a period. 

And btw, Frank rarely performed for England like he did at club level. Although the fact that he and Gerrard clearly couldn't play together hindered both. By a kippers dick I'd say Gerrard was better. Both great players an a shame for England we had them at the same time.

I will throw Bobby Moore into the mix though. He went to Hong Kong (I think and too lazy to check again).

17 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I cannot go a day without some journalist, player, ex-player, opposing coaching staff member or janitor talking about McVay's work effort and drive online or in some media article.

It's so intense it cannot possibly be hidden it's a constant talking point. 

I think McVay is an enigma and maybe it's an unfair measuring stick to live up to. I'm not saying nor meaning to imply FL doesn't have a strong work ethic, I really don't know.

I'm just comparing him to the person in a similar position for the only other sports team I follow closely.

It may be petty if I had some agenda or wanted him out, but I don't.

You're here all the time and post a lot so I can imagine you forgot about the OP. It was actually about Morris rather than Frank.

Most people on boards like thsi have super strong and intractable positions. I'm kinda past all that. There are too many shades of grey to cling on to any one viewpoint other than Trump's an utter tool and we should never have sold Will Hughes. They're facts.

Think you will find enough disagree on trump to get him elected 

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Think you will find enough disagree on trump to get him elected 

Only if the Dems implode and started bickering again.

Things are very, very different now to 2016, pretty much all the independents are sick to death of him.

His base is remarkably solid, but those people he needs to tip an election are gone.

Anyway, this is the Derby forum, so, which Derby player past or present do you think looks most like Donald Trump?

I'll say Mark Pembridge in about another 20 years and when he gets his combover up and running.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Only if the Dems implode and started bickering again.

Things are very, very different now to 2016, pretty much all the independents are sick to death of him.

His base is remarkably solid, but those people he needs to tip an election are gone.

Anyway, this is the Derby forum, so, which Derby player past or present do you think looks most like Donald Trump?

I'll say Mark Pembridge in about another 20 years and when he gets his combover up and running.

Ralph Coates 

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ralph Coates 

Not really a Derby player, but funny nevertheless.

You're obviously os a similar age. Do you remember Bobby Charlton taking a corner at the BBG and having to sweep his comb-over up and back over because it was almost down to his feet on one wide?

4 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Would have been a good idea to bring an experianced coach in 

The whole backroom staff lacks experience. An old head not even as an assistant but just as a coach an Eric Steele type coming back as part of the team might have been ideal

Good point this.

Ole is working wonders at Old Trafford, which has surprised some as his previous managerial experience has been average at best. Look no further than Mike Phelan.  A man who won it all alongside Fergie, and is the one you see on the sidelines barking orders and instructions a lot. Uniteds success is as much down to Phelan as it is Ole

Archived