I cant put my finger what gone so wrong

B4ev6is

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midfield, midfield, midfield!

I feel like I’m going on about it all the time. However it’s a huge failing with this team!

its not just this season either. We have failed to find a good midfield unit for the last couple of seasons despite throwing a lot of lolly at it.

Im not saying there aren’t issues in other parts of the team but until we sort that midfield out then we are pissing in the wind!

If Frank can’t solve this problem then he will fail like his predecessors.

Hard to know what to make of all this. We need some positives but easy enough to see the negative in everything.

In the pre-match interview Frank looked knackered and was tetchy. The video of our players in the tunnel looking like they were being sent over the top from the trenches to be slaughtered wasn't inspiring. 

Easy enough from the stands to see what the issues are (!) but we don't seem to be able to change given the evidence of the last few games. I would be intrigued to know what educational theory coaches learn to be able to affect change.

Post match FL said we didn't didn't show 'personality on the ball' which is something they work on daily. What does this actually mean? Telling a player to have personality on the ball to improve will mean little to them I fear, whereas I hope training sessions involve specifics ie how to break down defences, pass through the lines, support wing play, give options in particular areas etc. There doesn't seem to be much evidence of this, or perhaps it does go on but then this is even more worrying as the players don't seem to be able to act on it. As a fan I'd rather know these are the things we are working on rather than more esoteric concepts such as 'sprint, fight, have personality on the ball' but then I always like specifics rather than vague concepts.

4 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Midfield, midfield, midfield!

I feel like I’m going on about it all the time. However it’s a huge failing with this team!

its not just this season either. We have failed to find a good midfield unit for the last couple of seasons despite throwing a lot of lolly at it.

Im not saying there aren’t issues in other parts of the team but until we sort that midfield out then we are pissing in the wind!

If Frank can’t solve this problem then he will fail like his predecessors.

Agree completely - the midfield was ruined by Rowett  (selling without replacing etc) and still hasn't been fixed and wont be fixed this season.  What price the idiots on here moaning about Mason Mount? 

But Frank is floundering at the moment and his future is at risk. His constant tinkering and excessive changes in team selection will never work. As against Ipswich, when the team for yesterday was announced we all new what would happen. Useless.

If FL starts blaming the fans (and he is walking a fine line at the moment ) it will soon be over. He's the professional being well paid to take responsibility.

53 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Agree completely - the midfield was ruined by Rowett  (selling without replacing etc) and still hasn't been fixed and wont be fixed this season.  What price the idiots on here moaning about Mason Mount? 

But Frank is floundering at the moment and his future is at risk. His constant tinkering and excessive changes in team selection will never work. As against Ipswich, when the team for yesterday was announced we all new what would happen. Useless.

If FL starts blaming the fans (and he is walking a fine line at the moment ) it will soon be over. He's the professional being well paid to take responsibility.

Constant tinkering is never a good sign for a Derby manager.....the team goes into disarray,confusion seems to reign and the players confidence in the manager disappears.

From that point on,I've not seen a manager survive much longer.

Mel has been very,very quiet this season but he won't put up with us losing many more games in a row,be sure of that...

The problem is we aren’t creating any chances. The more chances you create the more goals you score.

we aren’t going to create chances passing it backwards and sideways. 

I have seen us pass it around at the back but we haven’t created chances from that tactic. To progress and start creating chances I would expect to cut back on the short goal kicks and the fannying around at the back and look at bringing the ball forward quicker into an attacking position to put the opposition under more pressure and hopefully create a chance.

At the moment we are losing the ball before we have got it out of our own half.

18 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I think we over analyse sometimes.

Ultimately we’re just not good enough,

Making my way home from the game I'm sure I heard some anorak ring into radio Derby with some stats as to why Keogh should be dropped including how many yards away (or something similar) he is for each goal conceded this season compared with Tomori. Some people need to get a real job.

For me its the spine of the team, we need compete in the air at the back and up front, we also need to get the ball back in mid field. These are areas we lack in.  Teams know if they close us down and we kick long they will get the ball back.  We also need to stop crosses and head them out when they come in. Probably 4 players short of a very good team. 

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Ed Dawes on Twitter suggesting the problem lies with the Bielsa press conference. Suggesting it messed with everyone's heads to have the tactics spelled out so publicly. 

I dont buy that, we have been found out 

48 minutes ago, toddy said:

What's gone wrong?

Nothing has gone wrong. we are simply not good enough.

We are an average side that has at times this season played way above our weight.

I do wish fans would not get carried away.

this

it would have been better for Gary to have been a complete failure and the team flirt with relegation.  It would have led to a far more expansive clear out last summer.  For too many years we have been in and around promotion and the tough decisions have been shelved just in case the next year is ours.  We have had an average squad for a number of years that has had spells where they clicked which as some have said 'papered over the cracks'

Archived