Max Bird and Sibley

MackworthRamIsGod

With the news that Andy King has joined our ever growing list of players that have had seasons ending injuries over the last few years, I am calling on the club/Frank to put a little faith in some of our youngsters, namely Bird and Sibley.

Andy King in my opinion was the answer to adding a bit of much needed quality in our midfield, now he is injured we really are going to struggle.

Until Mount is back fit (if he ever is), I would give Bird a go in the holding midfield role and have Sibley playing the role Bryson is supposed to play, bombing between midfield and attack.

It may not work, it might be a silly move, but we need a change in midfield and it is time to reward some of the star performers in the u23s.

I would even stick Cresswell on the bench and give him a run out over Nugent.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not seen enough of them to comment, think it was Bird who played against Southampton, game looked to quick for him but it’s only one game.

if they are good enough they should play, if not they won’t, just because they are under 23 doesn’t mean they should get any preferential treatment over another player, and FL has already shown he is willing to give youngsters a chance. 

I have said it before and I will say it again but Max Bird is one of the best players I have seen in our academy.

I have not seen him much but every time he is outstanding and could be our new Hughes.

Plus with players looking lethargic and maybe succumbing under pressure why not give 2 young hungry lads a go to see if they can bring us out of this slump?

I’d much rather watch some of the youngsters given a go than the likes of Bryson/Nugent.

Nothing against the guys and think they’ve contributed well in their time here but if we want to build for the future and develop our academy then we have to try them.

I wouldn’t care missing out on play offs if we saw them establish themselves for next season.

I’d even say the most exciting thing for me about Derby in the last 10-15 years has been watching players like Huddlestone, Barnes, Hendrick and Hughes come through.

Max Bird looks like an absolute Rolls-Royce for the U23's & U18's (FA Youth cup), a young George Thorne if you will..

He did struggle against Southampton though, as did most of our lads 1st half I must point out.

He's well worth us giving a go and persevering with in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I’d much rather watch some of the youngsters given a go than the likes of Bryson/Nugent.

Nothing against the guys and think they’ve contributed well in their time here but if we want to build for the future and develop our academy then we have to try them.

I wouldn’t care missing out on play offs if we saw them establish themselves for next season.

I’d even say the most exciting thing for me about Derby in the last 10-15 years has been watching players like Huddlestone, Barnes, Hendrick and Hughes come through.

If only all fans were the same, however you will probably find the usual culprits that are calling for them to be given a chance without any pressure, lurking in the Bogle thread saying how he should be dropped because of too many mistakes and has cost us points this season. 

25 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

If only all fans were the same, however you will probably find the usual culprits that are calling for them to be given a chance without any pressure, lurking in the Bogle thread saying how he should be dropped because of too many mistakes and has cost us points this season. 

I suspect that DCFC number one fan may be applying a lot of pressure to get back into the playoffs and therefore long-term planning is replaced with short-term expediency i.e. Bryson and Johnson

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ah. Well tbh why shouldn't Johnson (and Bryso when fit) play before the U23s if there's still chance of Top 6?

Because current form indicates they can't get us there, and hopefully they won't be here next year

1 minute ago, JG400 said:

Because current form indicates they can't get us there...

Well form is temporary - wasn't FL saying such:

"But when the quality is down - and we know they have quality - that is a back-to-basics thing. It is work, reviewing the games and seeing how we can improve. In three games now our quality has gone down and needs to come back quickly to get back to winning ways.

"We are disappointed to lose obviously but we are ahead of Forest with a game in hand and remain in touching distance of the top six."

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well form is temporary - wasn't FL saying such:

"But when the quality is down - and we know they have quality - that is a back-to-basics thing. It is work, reviewing the games and seeing how we can improve. In three games now our quality has gone down and needs to come back quickly to get back to winning ways.

"We are disappointed to lose obviously but we are ahead of Forest with a game in hand and remain in touching distance of the top six."

Tbf looking at march fixtures we should get 10 points can't see Brizzle doing the same which makes the usual suspects a certainty

Funny how we all see things differently.

From every interview I've ever seen, I'd say our number one fan would be pushing for more involvement for academy players, not less.

Moot point though, as I suspect he just leaves the manager to get on with such things as team selection and squad make up, as long as the manager operates within the agreed boundaries.

I do agree with the number one fan tag though. To plough in north of £150m with almost no chance of seeing a financial return, whilst keeping the football club debt free is precisely the actions of a number one fan.

Archived