Time to get spark back

B4ev6is

Maybe we should have like of Mason Bennett partner waghorn or Marriott. Maybe we should try 4411 formation it might free up space in midfield to get the ball to the strikers quicker. Lets try high pressing game back I think frank should tell the lads look glory is there you just need to grap it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way I can see us getting that spark back is by throwing in a couple u23s we need youthful enthusiasm. Half our team are out of contract or going back to their parent teams at the end of season so probably are not gonna be in the right frame of mind. 

Our pattern of play has become stereotypical and predictable; we play out of the back and reach the halfway line. We then look to get it wide. Sometimes we get in a cross but invariably it’s a ball in hope rather than with any guile. When we had Mount playing we at least used to get a ball played into the box into feet.

So in summary it’s not a lack of spark but a lack of invention and creativity in the final third; Waggy and Marriott are feeding off scraps. Holmes is the only midfielder who can play the incisive defence-splitting pass. 

I contrast this “barren” possession play with the time when we had Bryson-Hughes and Martin who regularly unpicked defences...

So, we need midfielders and forwards to formulate a process “in combination”...through passing and movement. It seems like they don’t know how to do this...there is almost a palpable whole-team “hesitation” when we are within reach of the opposition box...a blankness of invention when we need energy, movement and close-control. Almost as if the team haven’t worked on a formula of what to do and what works.

We have seen this often...it was very apparent in the home game v Millwall and in the Red Dogs game. People seemed to focus on the formation but it’s not the shape that’s wrong it’s the lack of movement and invention. With the likes of Wilson, Waghorn, Marriott and Holmes we should be ripping the gizzards out of opposition defences and creating loads of chances through quick-feet and movement...instead we look stationary, laborious and totally predictable. And it’s become habitual. 

I just want to see us score a damn goal,don't care if it comes off someone's face or however the hell else.

Our attacking play has been awful of late and just boring and irritating to watch.

Hopefully against Villa we show some initiative and drive that was on display in our better performances this season.Season is running down,time for the players to step up.

Archived