BBC and ITV set to launch Netflix rival

Wolfie

The BBC, home to crime drama Luther, and ITV, maker of Love Island and I'm A Celebrity, are in the "concluding phase of talks" to create a rival to Netflix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47383559

I can't really see a positive in this. Neither company has the cash to invest in the kind of content that Netflix can produce and it's just further fragmenting the market, giving people yet another subscription service. A tie up with Amazon Prime would have been better in order to properly compete with Netflix - maybe this is the long term strategy anyway.

If they start producing original content and holding it back from their standard TV channels plus iPlayer and ITV Hub, I can see a lot of License fee payers loving that!.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another issue will be the release of Disney+ by the end of this year (reportedly). That will be another big hitter competing for the majority of the market with Netflix. As you say @Wolfie the market offering more options isn't a good thing at this point, as people will decide to just stick with 1-2 instead of committing to several different streaming subscriptions.

I know, it's the cynical and grabby world we live in, trying to get more and more money out of you.

First it was Sky, then they started putting stuff on PPV, then they lost rights to Setanta & BT, they don't cut the price, they raise it and you end up paying for it all if you want the product.

I would probably end up getting Britbox, alongside Netflix and Prime, but canning SkyTV

Archived