A Cautionary Tale

Bob The Badger

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Regardless, he's consistently our best player week in, week out. I know it's not ideal having a player play so often, but he's seemingly built differently from the rest as he's barely had a week off in his entire career. 

I wouldn't like to guess where we would be without him, although I doubt it would be as dramatic as the bottom three, no doubt we would be completely out the race for the play-offs and 10+ points worse off. 

Really? Not kept many clean sheets this season. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

FL has to be given at least until the end of next season with no fear whatsoever of losing his job. I don't care what happens (well I do really, but you know what I mean), let him manage from a place of doing what he thinks is right and not trying to appease the fans and Board. Or run the risk of seeing him succeed elsewhere as we continue with this ridiculous merry-go-round.

Absolutely spot on. I get why we're upset becuase its another missed opportunity but judge him after another full summer window, a clear out of the deadwood and whoever doesnt fit the bill and who we bring in. 

Its gonna be a big summer no matter what but stick with FL! 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

All they KNEW, was what he had achieved previously, at a much lower level. 

How much lower was the level when he won the Cup winners cup and European super cup???? Beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid was a lower level? 

He didnt just challange the Old firm, he overtook them and constantly beat them. United wanted him to do the same with Liverpool. Knock them off their perch. 

Different times. Frank's got another season at least in him at Derby, let him make his stamp on the team in the sumner.    

Still in a grumpy mood..

So I'm not sure it is accepted that Man Utd were going to sack Fergie at that point.  I have read several articles that stated whilst he was under pressure, he wasnt on the brink yet.  He had also 'earned' the job through what he had achieved in another job. Tbf Frank has proved diddly-squat.... so whilst I find the 'who can't see the analogy' feud with RoyMac5 most amusing... I personally don't think its that apt either.  There are lots of other analogies that are equally just as (not) very loosely apt... why not Stuart Pearce at Forest, Pep at Barcelona, Karanka at Boro, Dyche at Burnley...

Anyway....in conclusion, not a chance should he be sacked.  Give the man a bloody chance.

I like the original post, but I’m not having this myth continue that we ‘brushed aside’ Norwich or WBA. We really didn’t. They were close games that could have gone the other way. As for this ‘we beat Man Utd’ obsession, yes, we did. But again, it wasn’t this great performance where we were massively better. They should have scored four or five in the first 20 minutes. A lot went for us that night. 

I do though agree with the point the OP made regards opponents now having lots of footage of how we play. We’ve probably been sussed out. It’s up to the coaching staff and the players to give teams different looks. 

Lampard is doing no better than any of our recent managers other than Pearson who lasted five minutes. It’s not a sin to say that. But I would still like to see him given time. Because like the OP points out, success isn’t a simple straight line.

I do though agree with the point the OP made regards opponents now having lots of footage of how we play. We’ve probably been sussed out. It’s up to the coaching staff and the players to give teams different looks. 

He did this against Millwall, changed the formation and got slated for it.

We must stick with Frank. The play-offs are by no means out of our reach and surely no one in posession of a brain cell wants to start all over again on the managerial merry go round. At LEAST end of next season.

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

Really? Not kept many clean sheets this season. 

We defend as a team, it's incredibly silly to judge a defenders skill from number of clean sheets anyway. I'd be willing to bet we'd concede more goals if we didn't have Keogh.

58 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We defend as a team, it's incredibly silly to judge a defenders skill from number of clean sheets anyway. I'd be willing to bet we'd concede more goals if we didn't have Keogh.

I know that, but i'm trying to ascertain what criteria someone is being judged by if someone else is not being judged by it, or vice versa!

On 26/02/2019 at 14:44, Moist One said:

I'd like to see him show enough improvement and development in his own management to earn the right to be given a few years. 

I am struggling to come to terms with the fact that Lampard has bought 12 new players into the club, promote a youth player, re-integrate 2 exiled players, but still end up relying on Keogh, Bryson, Huddlestone and Nugent as much as we have.

Keogh needs rest, and to have him playing every minute of every game is shocking.

Just wow. Keogh has been a giant in this team. He's not put a foot wrong for weeks. He's consistently our best player week in, week out. If we had a few other players as good we'd walk this league.

On 26/02/2019 at 19:29, Ellafella said:

What like E=M x C {squared}? 

What say ye, @Carl Sagan? *

* ok, a tad too little tonic tonight in the Gin & ditto ?

This is why the universe is how it is - that everything in the entire cosmos is relative, except the speed of light which is indeed the only constant. From this one idea Einstein deduced that as you travel faster time slows down, you shrink in the direction of motion but you also become more massive. Is that why the Derby play seems deliberately slow-paced at the moment?

Some might think there are other constants such as the Rams' February slump, or Keogh's brilliant performances, or the way supporters always need something to moan about, but none of these things last forever.

Some of the football Derby have played this season has been sensational. Granted it’s only been 6-8 matches where they’ve managed it but it shows what frank wants to achieve and that’s enough for me. 9 players coming in was always going to be transition.

We should give him time. The football has been ok and we have competed. Last time we had to work on a budget was Clough/McClaren and that took 5 years nearly under cloudy to build that team (albeit from a much worst position). Frank should have to the end of his contract unless things go drastically wrong and we’re struggling at the bottom end of the table. 

Success is a lot about mentality humility and intellect. I think Frank has great strengths in these areas, I think he’d be a successful businessman or senior company exec if he wasn’t in football. I think he has all the makings of a top manager and will go to the very top of the game. We should keep hold of him as long as we can as I think we will be in a better position for it. 

Archived