Sign in to follow this  
Ambitious

Steve McClaren ruined football for us....

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age. I know there are some on here that can remember clearly the days of Jim Smith, yet for those under 30 I would suggest that those days are largely a blur, certainly are for me anyway. 

I, like many others, compare the current Derby County team to the 2014 side that used to blow away sides with consummate ease. I wouldn't have understood that kind of football was possible, certainly at this level. Equally, it has ruined football for Mel Morris, the best example I can think of is that if Paul Clement had taken over when Nigel Clough was sacked, he definitely wouldn't have been fired when he was.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we won over 30 games during 2014 and averaged nearly two goals a game. It's all led to every single performance being scrutinised to that standard, in my opinion, leading to unrest when we don't look remotely close to that level. 

Edited by Ambitious

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Who cares. 

It’s Frank and Jodie now. 

It was more of a case of fans comparing them to a team/performances five years ago, highlighting why there is so much unrest despite us still being in a reasonably decent position. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It was more of a case of fans comparing them to a team/performances five years ago, highlighting why there is so much unrest despite us still being in a reasonably decent position. 

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a transition season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cannot win  .

He is learning the job MM knee it was a gamble 

Edited by Curtains

Just now, Curtains said:

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a translation season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cant win  

From French, German or Italian? You'll all work it out eventually.

It's been a transition every season for at least the last 10!!

Just now, KCG said:

From French, German or Italian? You'll all work it out eventually.

It's been a transition every season for at least the last 10!!

Well how many managers have we had in that time. 

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a transition season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cannot win  .

He is learning the job MM knee it was a gamble 

People preach transition and patience, but they don't mean it. We have four home games coming up against teams that we should beat, which could put us right back on track or completely derail us completely. I just hope Lampard starts next season as Derby manager, we haven't had that in half a decade. 

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age...

You happy to settle for second best then?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You happy to settle for second best then?

Second best sounds like a pretty healthy improvement at the moment... We haven't finished second best since 96! 

Even if the McClaren season never happened, I'd still expect us to put in a competent performance against some really awful teams like Bolton, Millwall and Ipswich. I think it's fair to suggest even fans of clubs like Rotherham and Millwall would be annoyed with what we've seen in recent weeks and months and they haven't got a McClaren-esque season to compare it to.

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well how many managers have we had in that time. 

I agree. Someone needs to be given time to build.

McClaren propelled the team forwards rapidly, but it was Clough's team that had been built over 5 years.

19 minutes ago, Anon said:

I agree. Someone needs to be given time to build.

McClaren propelled the team forwards rapidly, but it was Clough's team that had been built over 5 years.

Exactly give Frank time. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age. I know there are some on here that can remember clearly the days of Jim Smith, yet for those under 30 I would suggest that those days are largely a blur, certainly are for me anyway. 

I, like many others, compare the current Derby County team to the 2014 side that used to blow away sides with consummate ease. I wouldn't have understood that kind of football was possible, certainly at this level. Equally, it has ruined football for Mel Morris, the best example I can think of is that if Paul Clement had taken over when Nigel Clough was sacked, he definitely wouldn't have been fired when he was.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we won over 30 games during 2014 and averaged nearly two goals a game. It's all led to every single performance being scrutinised to that standard, in my opinion, leading to unrest when we don't look remotely close to that level. 

Yes good post. Watching last nights struggle at City Ground, team performance could have been a hybrid of recent managers offerings, Clements slow laborious tactics, Pearson's absolute incoherent non descript football, Rowetts turgid style on a bad day. Red dogs weren't much better.