I hate being an optimist

TigerTedd

I’m an unashamed optimist. But I’ve always known that optimism really leads to nothing but misery. 

A pessimist has two states of mind, either smug, or pleasantly surprised. An optimist is either smug, or disappointed. So you never really get much genuine joy as an optimist. 

I remember just a few games ago. My optimistic view point was ‘we’ve got through a tough patch and accounted very well for ourselves, now comes the easier patch til pretty much the end of the season. Nows our chance to put some results together and race up the league. By the end of February we’ll be in the quester finals of the FA cup, and sitting pretty in 4th, hot on the heels of the top 2.’

I’m gutted. 

And there’s no logical explanation for why it keeps happening. Different players, different manager, same results in February. It doesn’t make any sense. What makes less sense is that we were putting together some great performances. The same players that trounced West Brom, were more than a match for united and Chelsea, are now putting in hopeless performances, and taking 1 point from 9 against Ipswich, millwall and forest! How does that happen?!

but, I can’t help myself, optimist til I die. Although I am now resigned to the fact that play offs may be beyond us this season, my reason for being cheerful is that, the day we can really let that go, is the day we have nothing to loose. We can then play some of the kids that just annihilated Bristol 8-1. 

I know we can’t expect them to replicate that sort of result at senior level, but what we’re lacking is inspiration going forward, and a team that just scored 8 goals in a match clearly doesn’t lack for inspiration going forward. 

There’s got to be some positives to take from that, and maybe during March and April, we might be able to phase in a couple of will hughes’s ready for next season. 

Im still very excited for next season. I really don’t want to be disappointed again though. I want to know what it feels like to be smug for once. 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better to be optimistic than pessimistic- being an optimist means you are a cheerful character to be around and that's infectious. Being pessimistic that too many fans are these days, also is infectious- which only has a negative impact.

Think we all need to be more a of a realist. Derby County new manager new style of play 7th in the table.  We are not underachieving with that in my opinion as before lampard I was expected a mid table season with the ageing squad and style of play.

Archived