Sign in to follow this  
Dethorn

Mason Mount

Just a thought - I was wondering can anybody work out points with and without Mason Mount starting - I think it is no coincidence our bad run is happening now.

Can’t be, just look at previous posts saying he wasn’t pulling his weight, we have better players who should be in his place etc....

Of course we are going to miss him, he is an exceptional talent, same as to a certain degree we are missing TL, we haven’t got enough quality in the squad to play players in the formation and positions FL wants when an injury hits us. This is why we need to give him time and several transfer windows imo.

Before his injury he was a complete passenger..

Put Carson, Bryson, Wisdom, Mount, Forsyth, whoever in last night. The same would have happened.

The personnel available to us at any given time aren't pulling their weight or taking responsibility for what they have to do on the pitch.

Including cup games, we have won 15 games, drawing 9 and losing 8 with Mount. We have 4 losses, 4 draws and 2 wins without him. He's certainly a catalyst for our better performances, too.

The midfield just needs to move more, it's as simple as that. We have three static centre midfielders who are easily hurried on the ball and then we have to give it back or sideways. It's been an annoyance of mine for the past few years, the lack of midfield movement. Huddlestone, like Thorne, is used as the pivot point. You expect that other teams are going to keep a short leash on him. The focus is going to be on him. It should allow the other attacking five players the freedom of a bit of space. I honestly don't care if they run in circles, they just need to create a bit of separation from their markers and add a bit of fluidity into their game. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that results and form have dropped without him. The way we were setup with Mount, Huddlestone and Wilson on the pitch meant there were 3 danger men for opposition teams to try and mark out of the game, meaning that there was either a bit more room for one of them from time to time or other players had a bit more freedom.

With Mount out injured and Huddlestone and Wilson sturggling for form (possibly because it's easier to concentrate on marking 2 players all the time rather than 3) then we've not created as much.

People say he was out of form when he got injured and hadn't been doing a great deal, but I think that's due to how much effort other teams were putting into nullifying him.

I've no doubt that we'lll see results and performances pick up again once we get all three back together in the team. Hopefully he isn't out for too much longer.

8 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Just a thought - I was wondering can anybody work out points with and without Mason Mount starting - I think it is no coincidence our bad run is happening now.

Our bad run started before Christmas? 

Coincidence or what !

it is quite obviously Santa doing this every year ! The bugger !

He's a class player but had next to no consistency before his injury. Since Chelsea A he has been pretty underwhelming IMO, especially in the big games vs Forest, Sheffield Utd and Leeds. Whether that's down to fitness issues or what I don't know. 

Hopefully he can pick up his early season form and get rid of the selfishness that was creeping in over Xmas, we need team players to get us heading in the right direction. 

25 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Interesting that in Tom Lawrence's 18 starts we have picked  up 1.94  per game if my maths are correct.

Some of the stats trotted out these days really do mean sweet FA .

Goals for 

Goals against 

In each game that is all. 

3 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Goals for 

Goals against 

From those stats there were certainly more goals for than against.

He’s our most talented player. Him being on the pitch also allows others more space and time. Wilson in particular. 

The bad thing being, he isn’t our player. Nor is Harry. 

We miss Lawrence too, and he is ours. 

That doesn’t excuse how bad we’ve been recently, but we have looked bereft of an attacking and creative spark.

17 hours ago, bucktwo said:

Goals for 

Goals against 

I mean tbf if there’s ever a stat that matters it’s the points we pick up!