Villa v Derby

North East Ram

11 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Haven't you learned anything yet about trying to second guess who we should be beating?

Yes I agree and maybe neither us or Bristol will make it, but we still (somehow?) have a better chance then most should we beat Wigan and Wednesday at PP. I don’t think I’m dreaming getting carried away, I think I’m just being realistic with a slight positive slant. Surely we all live in the eternal hope, don’t we?

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Now the dust has settled after yesterday’s mess and you look at facts, we are 3 points behind Bristol who have to play Leeds, Sheff Utd, Boro, West Brom, Villa and the mighty sheep. We on the other hand only have Bristol and Birmingham left to play in the current top half.

I know this league doesn’t always conform, but if we can beat Wigan and Sheff wed and not lose to Stoke, the confidence should return, setting us up for the then remaining 9 fixtures or 12 if you count the playoffs ?

If , if and not?

we now don’t need not to worry about only about Bristol, take a look in the rear view mirror.  We could be tenth by Sunday evening unless we miraculously discover how to have a shot on target that creeps into the net

i know things can turn around but have you seen anything this year to base your optimism on.

4 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Yes I agree and maybe neither us or Bristol will make it, but we still (somehow?) have a better chance then most should we beat Wigan and Wednesday at PP. I don’t think I’m dreaming getting carried away, I think I’m just being realistic with a slight positive slant. Surely we all live in the eternal hope, don’t we?

It's the hope that's the killer 

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

If , if and not?

we now don’t need not to worry about only about Bristol, take a look in the rear view mirror.  We could be tenth by Sunday evening unless we miraculously discover how to have a shot on target that creeps into the net

i know things can turn around but have you seen anything this year to base your optimism on.

Yes back in October vs West Brom, Man U and Boro. Find that form and we’ll have more than a chance. Perhaps I’m dreaming, but we should be well well out of it by now with our form in the last month. 

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

Now the dust has settled after yesterday’s mess and you look at facts, we are 3 points behind Bristol who have to play Leeds, Sheff Utd, Boro, West Brom, Villa and the mighty sheep. We on the other hand only have Bristol and Birmingham left to play in the current top half.

I know this league doesn’t always conform, but if we can beat Wigan and Sheff wed and not lose to Stoke, the confidence should return, setting us up for the then remaining 9 fixtures or 12 if you count the playoffs ?

Weve got West Brom as well- although by that point in the season im hoping everything will already be decided. Also got Brentford and Shef Wed who are both only 4 points behind us. There are only 5 points between us and 15th at the moment. Very even league this year.

2 hours ago, KCG said:

We need to beef up the midfield because we are far too lightweight. At this point of the season we need to move on from the idea we can play pretty football; we clearly can't. We need to press high as team and move the ball around quickly.

I don’t know about beefing it up but one which could pass forwards to a Derby player would help.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, KCG said:

We need to beef up the midfield because we are far too lightweight. At this point of the season we need to move on from the idea we can play pretty football; we clearly can't. We need to press high as team and move the ball around quickly.

I agree, there is an awful lot at steak, that 6th spot is up for grabs and I for one hope we can fillet.

8 hours ago, Ram8 said:

What a shambles, I’m sorry but Frank Lampard has meddled and messed about with the line-up yet again, weakening it without any semblance of an alternative tactical plan. 

What did Evans, Wisdom and Bennett contributed yesterday. Answer, absolutely nothing! 

Where is Huddlestone? Is he injured? Without his calmness and anticipation, and ability to receive and retain the ball in tight situations at CDM we are exposed and Keogh and Tomori are overrun.

Why is Waghorn dropped? He isn’t a £5 million pound player or a Chris Martin, but he provides some physicality up front. Jack Marriott, for all his selfless running, and opportunism, is completely ineffective when we have no midfield to provide him with service. Did not Lampard even look at what Chris Martin could offer, or is he incapable of judging a player’s value to a team, or their attributes and abilities? 

What has Roos done to deserve being discarded? 

I’m afraid that Lampard is revealing his naivety and flawed judgement of the players at his disposal.

Wisdom is incapable of passing forward. Bogle, for all his inexperience is far better.

What does FL see in Mason Bennett? No penetration on the wing, no goal threat. 

I’ll exempt Max Bird from criticism as he did appear to try his best in a difficult situation for an inexperienced 18 year old. And Duane Holmes was the only midfielder who was willing or capable of holding the ball or moving it forward.

But how on earth could FL believe that a midfield of Evans, Bird and Holmes was capable of dealing with players such as Jack Grealish, or providing sufficient creativity to break open Villa’s defence, containing the excellent Tyrone Mings. 

Grealish is premiership class, actually better than our own (loanee) Mason Mount, and has that rare ability to receive the ball anywhere on the pitch, retain it, and bring other team mates into play, giving the impression of making time stand still whilst he does it. Surely a future England player. 

A few people have mentioned Will Hughes, I know he’s gone and that might seem to be futile, but it does provide an illustration of the gulf in midfield class that has opened up since we lost him. 

Is Frank Lampard capable of recognising the massive mistake that he made in team selection yesterday, and restoring some semblance of balance to the team with the return of Huddlestone and Waghorn, and accepting that such as Wisdom, Bennett, Evans, Lawrence, Nugent, Bryson and Johnson have no further part to play in the remainder of Derby County’s season? 

On current evidence, perhaps not, but I hope I am wrong, because yet another change of manager would be a disaster for the club in it’s present situation. 

Talk about hitting the nail on the head

great post mate 

You’ve saved me time typing out my opinions and feeling on the matter 

I left at half time, seemingly like the majority of fans. The awful away end, coincided with fact I couldn't buy a beer as they weren't serving, all married up perfectly in the worst performance I've seen in a long time. Sunderland at home last season being the obvious stand out, but at least we managed a shot/goal in that game. 

The defence had a poor game, which has really been our only saving grace now for the past few months. It highlighted a lot of issues. 

I actually thought Evans put in the worst performance I've seen from a Derby player since Tom Naylor against Scunthrope in the cup. I've been very vocal about our inability to make options for players on the ball which leads to the ball inadvertently going backwards and sideways. If you watched the first few months of the season, we were hurried on the ball and the strikers would chase Keogh/Tomori, but since the turn of the new year, certainly in the last month, they don't bother with the man on the ball. The striker sits in and they make sure that all the options and passing lanes are marked up. The attacking players as a collective don't do anywhere near enough work off the ball to make themselves available. I watched Grealish and Hourihane both drop deep to pick the ball up, move away from markers and pick the ball up in space, whilst we haven't done that in a long time. 

It's bred from a lack of confidence and ultimately hard work. You've got to want the ball and our players don't at the moment. They're happy hiding behind being marked up. It needs addressing. We need three players in the middle of the park all making options for the defence when they get the ball. We haven't got a long ball option, we won't get much luck in playing balls down the channel, so we're one dimensional in the way we have to play, but without a midfield making that movement then we become none dimensional in the way we can play. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I left at half time, seemingly like the majority of fans. The awful away end, coincided with fact I couldn't buy a beer as they weren't serving, all married up perfectly in the worst performance I've seen in a long time. Sunderland at home last season being the obvious stand out, but at least we managed a shot/goal in that game. 

The defence had a poor game, which has really been our only saving grace now for the past few months. It highlighted a lot of issues. 

I actually thought Evans put in the worst performance I've seen from a Derby player since Tom Naylor against Scunthrope in the cup. I've been very vocal about our inability to make options for players on the ball which leads to the ball inadvertently going backwards and sideways. If you watched the first few months of the season, we were hurried on the ball and the strikers would chase Keogh/Tomori, but since the turn of the new year, certainly in the last month, they don't bother with the man on the ball. The striker sits in and they make sure that all the options and passing lanes are marked up. The attacking players as a collective don't do anywhere near enough work off the ball to make themselves available. I watched Grealish and Hourihane both drop deep to pick the ball up, move away from markers and pick the ball up in space, whilst we haven't done that in a long time. 

It's bred from a lack of confidence and ultimately hard work. You've got to want the ball and our players don't at the moment. They're happy hiding behind being marked up. It needs addressing. We need three players in the middle of the park all making options for the defence when they get the ball. We haven't got a long ball option, we won't get much luck in playing balls down the channel, so we're one dimensional in the way we have to play, but without a midfield making that movement then we become none dimensional in the way we can play. 

I agree, we have become predictable which in turn has made the performances boring to watch. Lampard and his staff are clearly not instilling any confidence at all into the team. Something has to change very soon, we need a good hard working finish to carry us into next season. If we don't get that then I feel we probably need a new manager.

Archived