Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malone is a good player at this level. Nothing more or nothing less. We spent the best part of £3m of him, if rumours are to be believed, so I wouldn't necessarily argue we got value for money but he's done ok in his first season here. 

Cole, I honestly haven't seen much of him to be honest. I don't think I will before he leaves. Malone is obviously a better option at present. I imagine he will be pencilled in as first choice next season, with Lowe pushing him for his shirt. 

6 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Cole is not interested, would much rather start my nan at LB.

....doubt he's any good as a coach either

bogle has improved since he arrived, I suspect that it is not a coincidence and will at least give him the benefit of the doubt as a coach.  Too harsh I think

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Malone is a good player at this level. Nothing more or nothing less. We spent the best part of £3m of him, if rumours are to be believed, so I wouldn't necessarily argue we got value for money but he's done ok in his first season here. 

Cole, I honestly haven't seen much of him to be honest. I don't think I will before he leaves. Malone is obviously a better option at present. I imagine he will be pencilled in as first choice next season, with Lowe pushing him for his shirt. 

So you believe that in the 19 league games that Malone has started that we've only lost 2, is just a coincidence?

In the 21 other games that he hasn't started, we've lost 10....

2 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

So you believe that in the 19 league games that Malone has started that we've only lost 2, is just a coincidence?

Chicken and egg.

He doesn't get started where defensive capabilities are preferred by Frank.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Chicken and egg.

He doesn't get started where defensive capabilities are preferred by Frank.

Please explain his starts during:

Norwich (H)

WBA (A)

Boro (A)

Chelsea (A)

Sheff Wed (A)

Bristol C (H)

Brighton (A)

Southampton (A)

PNE (A)

Sheff Wed (H)

Brentford (A)

Even with the stats laid out right infront of you, you fail to see what his presence brings to the team. 

Please explain his starts during:

Norwich (H)

WBA (A)

Boro (A)

Chelsea (A)

Sheff Wed (A)

Bristol C (H)

Brighton (A)

Southampton (A)

PNE (A)

Sheff Wed (H)

Brentford (A)

Even with the stats laid out right infront of you, you fail to see what his presence brings to the team. 

He's the only left back we had fit.

And he was successful in those games....

Some fans love a scapegoat. I've no idea how some fans could ever pin this on Malone. The stats speak for themselves. 

If it was all about stats then Marriott wouldn't be in the squad...oohh! Lol. Don't need stats to see what an average defender Malone is, going forward is a different matter...

Malone's a weird one, I don't think it's as black and white as you've laid it down @Nick_Ram but we're obviously a better team with him in as far a stats go. There's too much which happens in-between that makes me think otherwise, people are going to judge him how they see it, not by stats alone. 

The Wigan game recently summed that sort of stat up, he was probably the worst player on the pitch until he set Mason Bennett up and then popped the winner so it's hard to judge.  

He's not a 3 million pound player but that's not his fault we splashed that amount. I was expecting a bit more but he's steady enough. He's not the only one mind, see Waghorn and Lawrence for other inflated fee's for average players. 

5 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

How many goals have we conceded due to cole? I don't think many have been down to him, he looked interested to me last night. He got very little help from Ronaldo wannabe Lawrence as well.

Agreed. In general, the full backs have had zero help from our wide players. The reason why we let so many crosses into the box is not doubling up on opposition wingers. Most teams in the division mark our attacking players with two men.

1 hour ago, Nick_Ram said:

On the other side we have only won 8 of the 19 he has started.

Maybe we are just an average, inconsistent team that has struggled to put a run together? 

3 hours ago, rynny said:

On the other side we have only won 8 of the 19 he has started.

Maybe we are just an average, inconsistent team that has struggled to put a run together? 

Sorry to kill your argument, but that record is still good enough to get into the playoffs, assuming:

After 40 games that ratio means you'll have won 17. = 51 points.

Draw at least 12 or 13 games of the remaining 23 games = 63/64 points.

Still will 9 or 10 defeats to spare in those 23 games... Which Malone has only recorded 2 defeats in 19.

So Actually:

His ratio suggests 17 wins from 40 = 51 points.

2 defeats in 19 is over 40 games is 5 games (rounded up for you)

Draw the rest = 17 points

Total points tally with Malone = 68 points.

Doesn't matter which way you look at it, we are better with him in the team. You may suggest its not directly related to Malone, but its a strong relationship that you can't discount because 'you dont think he's very good defensively'. 

44 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Sorry to kill your argument, but that record is still good enough to get into the playoffs, assuming:

After 40 games that ratio means you'll have won 17. = 51 points.

Draw at least 12 or 13 games of the remaining 23 games = 63/64 points.

Still will 9 or 10 defeats to spare in those 23 games... Which Malone has only recorded 2 defeats in 19.

So Actually:

His ratio suggests 17 wins from 40 = 51 points.

2 defeats in 19 is over 40 games is 5 games (rounded up for you)

Draw the rest = 17 points

Total points tally with Malone = 68 points.

Doesn't matter which way you look at it, we are better with him in the team. You may suggest its not directly related to Malone, but its a strong relationship that you can't discount because 'you dont think he's very good defensively'. 

First of all 68 points has got 1 team in 20 years into the play offs, so you kill your own argument. However I can't leave the post without "correcting" your maths. 

Over a season it is 19.36 wins (19) 21.78 draws (22) with 5 defeats which gives 79 points so good enough for a team to finish 5th-8th in the majority of the last 20 years. 

I don't believe I have said that I don't think Malone is very good defensively, I was just showing that stats can be manipulated to show any narrative.

I still stand by stance that we are an average, inconsistent team that has struggled to put together a run. 

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

First of all 68 points has got 1 team in 20 years into the play offs, so you kill your own argument. However I can't leave the post without "correcting" your maths. 

Over a season it is 19.36 wins (19) 21.78 draws (22) with 5 defeats which gives 79 points so good enough for a team to finish 5th-8th in the majority of the last 20 years. 

I don't believe I have said that I don't think Malone is very good defensively, I was just showing that stats can be manipulated to show any narrative.

I still stand by stance that we are an average, inconsistent team that has struggled to put together a run. 

I think you're right in that the total of the parts is more important for Derby this season than any individual component. Our whole game (when we're on it!) is based on fluid movement and passing. That's what's so inconsistent and virtually unchanged line-ups can lose or regain this fluidity game to game.

Malone suits the style Lampard wants to play. However, when he first arrived he didn't seem to blend well and was certainly shaky defensively compared to Fozzy. I think he's grown into the role over the season as the understanding with team-mates has grown and his defending has improved a lot. 

We will always forsake something in the way of solid defending the way we are set up with full-backs bombing on but I like the positive intent. I don't think Cole has quite got the legs to carry it off these days so I hope Malone is fit again soon. 

46 minutes ago, rynny said:

Read the post again... I said after 40 games.

Archived