Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

Malone's much better than most on here seem to think. But he's not the brightest. Had he not dived in at the death against Leeds (or tried to stop the throw-in before) I think we'd have won the playoff final. Ashley Cole didn't have the legs to cross the halfway line meaning we lost our left-sided threat.

I said in the Bristol match thread that Malone was one of our three best players up until the 44th minute.

Lowe's ceiling is higher than Malone's but I hope we can keep playing Malone without the crowd getting on his back until Bogle's fit.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Malone has good games; and good moments in games - and I by no means think he's a write-off as a player.

But being subbed off at HT two games in a row is not a good look; and if he hasn't already lost his place I think he's coming very close.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Can't stand his attitude to the fans. Yeah, it's not nice to have the fans grumbling at you, but shut up, focus, and do your bloody job. Malone's done it on multiple occasions now. 

On the contrary I would argue that fans who whinge at him for aimless hoofs, and fans who whinge at him for turning and playing a safe pass sideways may have played a significant part in his decision to take an unnecessary risk on the ball yesterday.

Yes as an experienced player he should perhaps not let it affect him but he is a human. Wonder if he had a bad relationship with the fans at some of his other clubs, or whether it is perhaps our fans that are the issue.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

On the contrary I would argue that fans who whinge at him for aimless hoofs, and fans who whinge at him for turning and playing a safe pass sideways may have played a significant part in his decision to take an unnecessary risk on the ball yesterday.

Yes as an experienced player he should perhaps not let it affect him but he is a human. Wonder if he had a bad relationship with the fans at some of his other clubs, or whether it is perhaps our fans that are the issue.

So what? It's part of his job. He might not like it, but other players manage to be professional about it. 

I did feel a bit sorry for him yesterday as Lawrence was giving him no options at all and then when he did, he'd lose the ball meaning Malone would have to track back. 

However, that mistake for the second goal is terrible. There's a time and a place for that kind of play it certainly wasn't then. 

Then to make things worse he lost his head and tried to take on the entire Bristol midfield seconds later to make up for it, only to lose the ball and help them launch a counter attack. 

He needs to be smarter. 

I reckon he'll lose his place when Bogle is back. If Forsyth was fit, I reckon he'd have lost it already.

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So what? It's part of his job. He might not like it, but other players manage to be professional about it. 

Someone calling out the negative murmurs is a good thing. Maybe then it will stop it happening again as it doesn’t actually help anybody at all. 

Seriously, we should be questioning why a player feels the need to do it and therefore the role that we as fans play in a game. However what will actually happen is he’ll become public enemy number 1 just like Baird was until it got forgotten about 30 months later. 

If fans can’t take being told to duck off then I really worry how they get through life.

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If fans can’t take being told to duck off then I really worry how they get through life.

Thats a contradiction though surely? As if he could take it he wouldn't be mouthing off to the fans who should then 'take it'. I would have thought the annual wage of a large percentage of the population that he gets in a week should help with that too? 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Tom Huddlestone should be grateful for Jozefzoon and Malone. 

While Malone was screaming and pointing at the left wing for a passing option big Tom was enjoying creating Bristol counter attacks that he's too slow to even get a good view of. 

Malone gave away a goal. Huddlestone gave away Roos, Keogh, Clarke, Malone and Lowe. A sacrifice to Lee Johnson. 

You know those tennis machines that fire out the balls? That's Huddlestone. A big football version. A "defensive" midfielder. Defensive? Bloody hell. 

And it's not based on 4 games but on every game since Rowett left. His odd world class pass is great for a sit deep counter attacking team. Now his good and bad doesn't balance up. He is a pain in the arse. 

Luckily everyone is analysing every Malone and Jozefzoon step. Well, you can't analyse Huddz steps because he doesn't take any. 

Thank God for Bielik. Evans has started well. Cocu has options which I'm sure he will take soon

I am a bit of an arse when it comes to DM's. Eric Dier makes me rage. The fraud. Too easy to sit there with the most passing options on the pitch and look pretty. A good DM wins a match. A bad one can get away with murder. 

I swear people used to say things like "Defensive midfielder is the easiest position on the pitch" and wonder why you even really needed it as a specific position (although in all likelihood this was them being footballing dinosaurs and talking crap), regardless, it was a position you only needed one player in, if any at all.

Playing 2 DMs seems ridiculously uneccessary in itself, but with Huddlestone in the team you almost need to play bloody 3 of them to cover for his weaknesses.

I don't dislike the guy but he's not part of the future and he's becoming a liability, more of a millstone than a Huddlestone (whatever one if them is!)

9 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I swear people used to say things like "Defensive midfielder is the easiest position on the pitch" and wonder why you even really needed it as a specific position (although in all likelihood this was them being footballing dinosaurs and talking crap), regardless, it was a position you only needed one player in, if any at all.

Playing 2 DMs seems ridiculously uneccessary in itself, but with Huddlestone in the team you almost need to play bloody 3 of them to cover for his weaknesses.

I don't dislike the guy but he's not part of the future and he's becoming a liability, more of a millstone than a Huddlestone (whatever one if them is!)

I suppose it is easy in a way. You have so many passing options and you just keep going back to goal if you get marked. You can tick off 90%+ pass completion. 

But I was always told everytime somebody runs at the CB's from anywhere but the wings then you've failed. If their afternoon is easy then you've played well. The defensive bit is the important bit. Long range shots are your problem. Protect the CB's like they're your Nana and Grandad. 

So football evolved and started doing fake strikers, inside wingers and all manner of poo to overload a DM. So I can see why in some situations you play with 2. But most the time 1 actual "defensive" midfielder should be enough. 

I guess if you played Derby then you might play with 2? Derby rely on their full backs for the wing play and our wingers go inside. 1 DM might get too much to do? 

I don't know why so many DM's get praised for dictating play. Who is going to bother pressing and marking a static DM when he has so many options. Of course they should be able to dictate some of the play. But they aren't running the game by knocking it about left and right. 

The best DM's shield their CB's. They pass through the lines. They support attacks and are available to 'reset' the attack. You stand off them and they can carry the ball. Then they are worth worrying about if they start coming forward unmarked. But always they have their CB's protection in mind. 

Kante is probably one of the best there is? 

In a league like this where the teams are close in ability and possession changes hands so often an athletic DM who is "defensive" is a must imo. 

Being a statue isn't his fault but that doesn't make you feel better when he's left face down in the dirt time after time after time. If all he has to offer on the ball is the Eric Dier fraudster type passing then I can't see how Evans or Shinnie could do worse. Huddz would be suited when we are under siege with no space between him and the CB's

Look, I've bored myself now. It's just a position that angers me because I played there! I was a fraudster and I got told off a lot!

4 hours ago, rynny said:

Seen people say he gave a mouthful of abuse to the West Stand last night. Does that mean he is going to give it to the North or the South Stand on Saturday, assuming he is playing? 

He was getting loads of abuse for not passing forward when not having any options. So he threw his arm up in their direction and the precious souls got even angrier and more abusive. 

2 hours ago, Ramos said:

He was getting loads of abuse for not passing forward when not having any options. So he threw his arm up in their direction and the precious souls got even angrier and more abusive. 

If I give abuse back to customers when I get any then I would be sacked. Luckily I have self control when it comes to interacting with people who want to swear and hurl abuse at me. Shame Scott can't. 

Archived