Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assumed we'd be blaming Malone this morning

Short memories of the start of last season where several Tomori mistakes cost us goals - That Bogle did on occasions - Fozzy has (anyone remember Sunderland at home 2 seasons ago? His performance that day still gives me nightmares) - And I'm sure Lowe has it in him too 

It's a team game - If one player has a bad game you take them off (as happened) - And then move on - If the manager sees them as the best player for a position then our casual observances mean naff all

We have imperfect fullbacks who are generally better attacking than defending and they're gonna make the odd mistake - That's what you get in the championship btw - If they were perfect they'd not be playing in our league...

Plus - The stats from the game last night point fingers in quite another direction - If we were a little more decisive in the final third we'd have fewer problems with the number of chances created - And guess what? That ability to play as a team, to coordinate in the right way, find each other with intricate passing and break down defences takes time to build - So patience people...

Unless Lowe really kicks on this season, left back will continue to be a problem area.

For me, Forsyth is our best left back, but unfortunately he suffers too many injuries to be relied upon at this moment in time.

Malone is the kind of player you can turn a blind eye to when the team is flying. You know he’s a potential problem, but if 95% of the team is playing well and we are winning, you just blank him out.

The trouble is when you have a string of poor performances and the results to match, his faults are magnified.

If we are winning games 3-1 or 4-2, he can get away with the lapses and the mistakes such as yesterday’s.

The trouble is we are not. I hope Lowe gets a chance. The Academy lads deserve their push. There’ll never be a better moment.

1 hour ago, lukedcfc said:

What amazed me was straight after costing us the game he tried to beat about five Bristol city players. Malone is a complete liability, he will cost us in future games if we continue to play him. 

I don't rate Malone (currently) but I don't think it's far to say he cost us the game. Yes, his error led directly to their second goal but I'm not sure if he was to blame for the first (not watched any replays yet) and we had 45 minutes to pull it back if certain other players had been on their game. If it had happened in the 90th minute and that would have been a different story. 

Malone's always been a better attacker than a defender, he's also got the stamina to overlap all game long. The issue I saw yesterday was the he had no passing options in front of him and his attacking instincts and natural game aren't working in the current set up with Lawrence in front of him.

If we weren't changing to 3-5-2 after being a couple of goals down he could do a job as a left wing back where his defensive duties are covered by others and just let him go forwards and stretch play.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't rate Malone (currently) but I don't think it's far to say he cost us the game. Yes, his error led directly to their second goal but I'm not sure if he was to blame for the first (not watched any replays yet) and we had 45 minutes to pull it back if certain other players had been on their game. If it had happened in the 90th minute and that would have been a different story. 

The timing of the goal is exactly the reason it was such a huge and stupid error.

Sometimes it's better to just see yourself through to half time with a 1-0 deficit, regroup and rethink than to try to force an equaliser before half time.

The manager will have a plan in place, just don't do anything stupid in the meantime...

Going in at 2-0 allowed them to just sit back and laugh at our puny, futile attempt at getting back into the game for much of the 2nd half.

If it had happened in the 90th minute you could at least blame fatigue, not outright idiocy.

24 minutes ago, Coconut said:

The timing of the goal is exactly the reason it was such a huge and stupid error.

Sometimes it's better to just see yourself through to half time with a 1-0 deficit, regroup and rethink than to try to force an equaliser before half time.

The manager will have a plan in place, just don't do anything stupid in the meantime...

Going in at 2-0 allowed them to just sit back and laugh at our puny, futile attempt at getting back into the game for much of the 2nd half.

If it had happened in the 90th minute you could at least blame fatigue, not outright idiocy.

I agree but my point is, we still had half the game to get back in it. A "luxury" you don't get in the 90th minute. Whether it's fatigue or idiocy, such a mistake in the 90th minute could be said to have cost the team the game. Less so just before half time. 

Okay I've watched it back about 10 times now on the highlights

Yes - It was a daft thing for Malone to do - And we paid a price for it on the day - However, as mistakes go it wasn't much worse than some of the other things we've already seen this season (and fortunately mostly not been punished for)

Secondly - Roos shouldn't be passing it out to him there - We're focused on playing out from the back (which I agree with, it stretches teams who would otherwise just sit back and defend all game) - But you rely in that system on the judgement of ALL defenders making the right decision - Roos' choice to pass out to Malone when our defenders were so very stretched apart was a poor one - Should have been up the pitch or if not possible then in the stands as far up the pitch as possible

Finally - Not sure what Bielik was doing with his tracking back - He was right next to their number 8 on goal side of him as the ball was lost - Covered about the same amount of distance (so wasn't outpaced) but was focused on watching the ball rather than the run of 'his man' - Which meant the guy was totally free when he got on to the ball in the box

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I assumed we'd be blaming Malone this morning

Short memories of the start of last season where several Tomori mistakes cost us goals - That Bogle did on occasions - Fozzy has (anyone remember Sunderland at home 2 seasons ago? His performance that day still gives me nightmares) - And I'm sure Lowe has it in him too 

It's a team game - If one player has a bad game you take them off (as happened) - And then move on - If the manager sees them as the best player for a position then our casual observances mean naff all

We have imperfect fullbacks who are generally better attacking than defending and they're gonna make the odd mistake - That's what you get in the championship btw - If they were perfect they'd not be playing in our league...

Plus - The stats from the game last night point fingers in quite another direction - If we were a little more decisive in the final third we'd have fewer problems with the number of chances created - And guess what? That ability to play as a team, to coordinate in the right way, find each other with intricate passing and break down defences takes time to build - So patience people...

Wasn’t there last night so can’t comment on players performances, but from looking last night and this morning the amount of posts that essentially say ‘I don’t like this player and here’s how I’d change the system to avoid them playing’ was quite notable.

Im not daft, his form has been indifferent but that’s the same as many others because it’s the start of the season.

My overall feeling with Malone is he’s got a bit of character about him in a squad that lacks character. He’s not the best player we have but I think his influence on the side isn’t seen by fans

To be brutally honest, our left side is as strong as a ‘chocolate Tea Pot’ - Lawrence couldn’t tackle a wet paper bag, does not hold his position and wanders all over the place, leaving Malone or anyone else exposed behind him. Add that to the fact Malone simply can’t defend at all, when that’s his main job is a recipe for disaster !!! We might as well have a three lane motorway down our left side !! 

Until this is addressed, we are cannon fodder !!!! 

Tom Huddlestone should be grateful for Jozefzoon and Malone. 

While Malone was screaming and pointing at the left wing for a passing option big Tom was enjoying creating Bristol counter attacks that he's too slow to even get a good view of. 

Malone gave away a goal. Huddlestone gave away Roos, Keogh, Clarke, Malone and Lowe. A sacrifice to Lee Johnson. 

You know those tennis machines that fire out the balls? That's Huddlestone. A big football version. A "defensive" midfielder. Defensive? Bloody hell. 

And it's not based on 4 games but on every game since Rowett left. His odd world class pass is great for a sit deep counter attacking team. Now his good and bad doesn't balance up. He is a pain in the arse. 

Luckily everyone is analysing every Malone and Jozefzoon step. Well, you can't analyse Huddz steps because he doesn't take any. 

Thank God for Bielik. Evans has started well. Cocu has options which I'm sure he will take soon

I am a bit of an arse when it comes to DM's. Eric Dier makes me rage. The fraud. Too easy to sit there with the most passing options on the pitch and look pretty. A good DM wins a match. A bad one can get away with murder. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Tom Huddlestone should be grateful for Jozefzoon and Malone. 

While Malone was screaming and pointing at the left wing for a passing option big Tom was enjoying creating Bristol counter attacks that he's too slow to even get a good view of. 

Malone gave away a goal. Huddlestone gave away Roos, Keogh, Clarke, Malone and Lowe. A sacrifice to Lee Johnson. 

You know those tennis machines that fire out the balls? That's Huddlestone. A big football version. A "defensive" midfielder. Defensive? Bloody hell. 

And it's not based on 4 games but on every game since Rowett left. His odd world class pass is great for a sit deep counter attacking team. Now his good and bad doesn't balance up. He is a pain in the arse. 

Luckily everyone is analysing every Malone and Jozefzoon step. Well, you can't analyse Huddz steps because he doesn't take any. 

Thank God for Bielik. Evans has started well. Cocu has options which I'm sure he will take soon

I was convinced Huddlestone wouldn’t play last night. Unfortunately I endured another lumbering performance. Why do people shout ‘shoot’ when he has the ball?? He couldn’t score in a women’s prison! 

Just gone through an old thread... Leeds at home at the start of last season.. A lot of the things said about Keogh then are now being said about Malone. Look how Keogh turned out for the remainder of the season.. 

Back your player rather than constantly give him sh**.

Archived