Our recent tactics

therealhantsram

Very interesting comment on RD.... this new approach of slow, patient, passing it around the midfield and defence is a tactical reaction to teams beginning to sit off us and defending deep.  They know if they go toe to toe with us, we'll likely beat them.  So, like McClaren's 433, we struggle to get through their lines. 

Lampard's approach is to try and draw the press, in the hope of creating gaps and being able to pass through them.

He's probably learning a lot at the moment about the quality of players required to make this work.

It's pretty similar to the Clement approach.

Sure it works in the Prem. Can it work in the Championship...?

All part of Lampard's learning process this season. We knew we would get some of this. My view: Be patient and see where it leads us as Lampard learns (most likely next season)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t agree Mac teams struggled to create. No more so than any other team and we struggled less than the majority

i used to admire Lamps naive aggressive mentality. His brave tactics. Now he’s as negative as Clement was. 

Not all fans are the same. Some only care if we win for others football is more a leisure thing. For me I want to be entertained or whatever the scores I’ll fill my time with something else. A couple more games like this and I’ll probably take the kids to the park on Saturday afternoons.

our midfield bore me to tears. Bottle jobs that they are

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Very interesting comment on RD.... this new approach of slow, patient, passing it around the midfield and defence is a tactical reaction to teams beginning to sit off us and defending deep.  They know if they go toe to toe with us, we'll likely beat them.  So, like McClaren's 433, we struggle to get through their lines. 

Lampard's approach is to try and draw the press, in the hope of creating gaps and being able to pass through them.

He's probably learning a lot at the moment about the quality of players required to make this work.

It's pretty similar to the Clement approach.

Sure it works in the Prem. Can it work in the Championship...?

All part of Lampard's learning process this season. We knew we would get some of this. My view: Be patient and see where it leads us as Lampard learns (most likely next season)

I know Man City are head & shoulders above us, but they don't play patient, slow football; they continue to play at pace. We need to create chances; it would be nice to see a player beat a full-back and get a cross in, or then lay it back for a shot. If teams defend in depth, keep them there!

We just dont have anyone horrible enough. Its alright having players that are lightweight & easy on the eye when its going right but we havent got anyone thats a big horrible midfielder. Someone that can smash into tackles and drive us forward someone that will win the ball & pass to the so called better players 

6 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

We just dont have anyone horrible enough. Its alright having players that are lightweight & easy on the eye when its going right but we havent got anyone thats a big horrible midfielder. Someone that can smash into tackles and drive us forward someone that will win the ball & pass to the so called better players 

I've just said this exact same thing and need a quality alternative up top too. 

We are a team full of technical players, on the most part. Passers and movers. Night like tonight, if they’re in the balance, are decided by pure undiluted shithousery. 

Colback was fantastic at it. Their young lad in midfield too. Osborn, and even their lad up top. We had nobody willing to chuck their weight around; and mainly cos they don’t have it. 

Im not sure how you’d chop and change this moving forward. We are unlucky to lose a few to injury, but we are better than we look currently. 

The problem nowadays as well is player power. I don't think any manager  (even as big a name as Lampard) can really tell them some home truths and lay into them when the effort is not there, as ego + big money contracts + some bad attitudes would = down tools. It's a shame but I don't get the feeling the players are taken to task after a performance like that

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

I don’t know Bradley’s passing was pretty bloody horrible when he came on 

and Bogle did his best to play as horribly as possible for the 90 minutes lol 

Archived