Has Rams season been adversely affected by Cup runs?

Rampage

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our season has been enhanced with superb cup runs. 

We were never going to achieve automatic promotion but we’ve had some great cup games and are in real contention for a play off  place.

Everything to play for starting with sticking one up Roy Keane’s bullocks on Monday night.

No

i think whats happening is that the veteren core of the team is fading fast. This may even be partly what affected last season too.

the influx of young loanees had disguised the rapid decline in the rest of the team. Ledley, huddz, nugent, and bryson have been going downhill in front of us. Wisdom has gone backwards from last season, possibly carrying an injury. Then we lost some of the brighter younger players to injury - wilson, mount, marriott. The players who have come in may not be good enough for a promotion team. Bogle, bennett, Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Holmes, Malone and Evans have all done well at times, but they all have also been inconsistent too. Would they feature in a top 6 team?  Maybe not.

The problem may continue next next season with carson, davies, fozzy, and keogh also starting to fade. 

Promotion is probably a pipe dream whether we make top 6 or not.

The next critical step is the next wave of recruitment. The academy cannot yet produce the foundation of a new team, so we need to bring in good new players on a limited budget. I see us going backwards to try to take two steps forwards. Its a tough ask for any manager and there is no guarantee of success.

Enjoy whatever remains of this season, but the real work starts in july.

i wouldn't put recent poor performances down to anything other the majority of players not playing to their potential due to a comperlation of errors in team selection,tactics and general poor play.Not pressing enough up front ,poor passing and messing with the midfield has had an effect on results.I appreciate we have had injuries however we started the season with a high tempo,high energy pressing game forcing teams to make mistakes in pocession and have to play the ball quickly allowing us to dictate the pace of the game. We now Sean to sit back play defensively and make our own mistakes.

48 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

i wouldn't put recent poor performances down to anything other the majority of players not playing to their potential due to a comperlation of errors in team selection,tactics and general poor play.Not pressing enough up front ,poor passing and messing with the midfield has had an effect on results.I appreciate we have had injuries however we started the season with a high tempo,high energy pressing game forcing teams to make mistakes in pocession and have to play the ball quickly allowing us to dictate the pace of the game. We now Sean to sit back play defensively and make our own mistakes.

Good point.

2 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Not pressing enough up front ,poor passing and messing with the midfield has had an effect on results.I appreciate we have had injuries however we started the season with a high tempo,high energy pressing game forcing teams to make mistakes in pocession and have to play the ball quickly allowing us to dictate the pace of the game. We now Sean to sit back play defensively and make our own mistakes.

Exactly this ^^^^

On 23/02/2019 at 22:26, Rampage said:

Has Rams season been adversely affected by Cup runs? Some great performances in the Cups but has it hurt our promotion challenge? I think that it has not helped us at all. 

Has this forum been adversely affected by crap posts? 

Yes...

Shakes Head Andrew wonders about some people..

On 23/02/2019 at 22:26, Rampage said:

Has Rams season been adversely affected by Cup runs? Some great performances in the Cups but has it hurt our promotion challenge? I think that it has not helped us at all. 

Nope, it has done us good. We have only played really well in the league in two and a half games though for me that I have physically seen 

Brentford at home WBA away and 2nd half vs Sheffield United at home 

It was easy to be a high pressing energetic team in August and September when everything is fresh. The good teams with good coaches do it in the winter months to. Ours seem to have lost their way, theyt seem lethargic, sometimes confused and unable to shake themeselves out of it. Maybe the message isn't getting through from the top, maybe the message isn't even the correct one. We have some players good enough to make a success of this league and others who while not exactly the right standard, could be carried along. It is very frustrating to see this decline to the point when it is boring.

Bristol city went out of the FA cup in the same round as us. Really looks like it has killed them off as a threat - cant see them recovering now from all those terrible performances theyve been putting in recently.

Why bother entering the cup competitions at all if you just want us to lose in the first round.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Bristol city went out of the FA cup in the same round as us. Really looks like it has killed them off as a threat - cant see them recovering now from all those terrible performances theyve been putting in recently.

Why bother entering the cup competitions at all if you just want us to lose in the first round.

Bristol City have lost one league game since November though. We need to focus on ourselves first. It doesn’t matter if other teams are in poor form if we are in poor form ourselves 

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Bristol City have lost one league game since November though. We need to focus on ourselves first. It doesn’t matter if other teams are in poor form if we are in poor form ourselves 

Thats what im saying. We are in a poor run of form, which has nothing to do with a cup run. A few of our playoff rivals had similar cup runs and are still getting results in the league. The problems with our performances in the league are independent of the cup.

16 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Good post and totally agree,also just to put in the mix have the players at the end of there contracts also just realized they are going to be released apart from perhaps Roos and now couldnt give a stuff,it would explain why we have become totally inept 

1 hour ago, ramboy63 said:

players at the end of there contracts also just realized they are going to be released apart from perhaps Roos and now couldnt give a stuff

Rubbish.

Any player who is potentially going to be released will still be trying to earn a new deal here or elsewhere. This is their livelihood! Potential new clubs are always watching...

p.s. Why do you think Butterfield went out on loan to Bradford?

Archived