Time to bring Bradders back?

Poynton ram

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Poynton ram said:

After such a lame midfield performance on weds do we need to bring some steel back in to the midfield for Monday? I thought Bradley was ok last time he played.

Could he do a decent job anchoring the midfield?

King has to start...why loan a premiership winning midfielder and then keep him on the bench.

I am not a fan if bradders but Monday could be a good game for him.

I don't think I guy who is terrible at passing will help here. He's a grafter and he's good in the air but our performances need a midfield that can control the middle of the pitch. He might win the ball more but he will only contribute to us losing it more. 

Having said that you can't get a worse midfield performance than Ipswich and Millwall. So things can only possibly get better there.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

King has to start...why loan a premiership winning midfielder and then keep him on the bench.

I am not a fan if bradders but Monday could be a good game for him.

Please tell me what King has done so far to impress you?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean like Huddlestone's was?

Brad has been playing well for FL. His passing isn't that bad. 

He's barely played for Frank?

He put in a shocker at Stoke this season. He played ok at Ipswich but he didn't play especially well. What other games? Wasn't he taken off at HT once? 

His passing is bad. It is. I bet it's lower than Hudds, Bryson, Wilson, Lawrence, Mount and Jozefzoon... I bet even the strikers have a better pass rating and they dont pick it up off the defence. 

In fact have we won a game that he's played in this season?

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He's barely played for Frank?

He put in a shocker at Stoke this season. He played ok at Ipswich but he didn't play especially well. What other games? Wasn't he taken off at HT once? 

His passing is bad. It is. I bet it's lower than Hudds, Bryson, Wilson, Lawrence, Mount and Jozefzoon... I bet even the strikers have a better pass rating and they dont pick it up off the defence. 

In fact have we won a game that he's played in this season?

Not overly into stats but according to Whoscored the Midfielders/forwards are as follows

Bryson has the highest pass rate at 83%

Hudds has 81%

Holmes has 77%

Mount 76%

Wilson, Zoon and Lawrence 75%

Then we have Bradley left peg like a wand Johnson and Marriott on 74% 

Wags and Evans 73%

Bennett 66%

Nuge 65%

So yes he’s towards the bottom, but there isn’t a lot percentage wise between BJ, Wilson, Zoon, Lawrence and Mount.

As a disclaimer I left out King as he’s hardly played but his is 88%.

Actually the top three are really random with Cole 91%, Davies 88% (very surprising) and the King.

The other strange thing I noticed is that a lot of people hammer Carson’s distribution and praise Roos, however Carson’s is 64% and Roos 61%

On the subject of bringing BJ back in I’ve said previously (before King was signed) that I think it’s a decent option.

Under normal circumstances I prefer to have our best technical players in the side, however this is the Championship and you some times need that grit, determination and forcefulness.

Including BJ allows us to defending higher up the pitch, win more 50/50’s and win more arial battles.

Hes the only player in the squad who offers these qualities, I fully understand his limitations and he’s not a long term option and should probably be released in the summer, but whilst he’s on the payroll we should utilise his talents in games like Millwall where we know we are going to need to battle them, I think he’s a decent option in the Bryson role in those types of games 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Not overly into stats but according to Whoscored the Midfielders/forwards are as follows

Hudds has 81%

Holmes has 77%

Mount 76%

Wags and Evans 73%

Bennett 66%

Nuge 65%

So yes he’s towards the bottom, but there isn’t a lot percentage wise between BJ, Wilson, Zoon, Lawrence and Mount.

Actually the top three are really random with Cole 91%, Davies 88% (very surprising) and the King.

The other strange thing I noticed is that a lot of people hammer Carson’s distribution and praise Roos, however Carson’s is 64% and Roos 61%

Is that for the season just out of interest? Because most of those must have attempted a ton more passes

No surprise Bryson is highest. Knocking it 5 yards back where it came from. 

I just know Johnson is crap at passing though. Everyone knows it. You wouldn't want us to sign a player worse at short passing than Johnson would you? 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Hudds has 81%

Holmes has 77%

Mount 76%

Wags and Evans 73%

Bennett 66%

Nuge 65%

Red Herring take Carson for example the majority of his completed passes are roll out to a defender 5 yards away

44 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Is that for the season just out of interest? Because most of those must have attempted a ton more passes

No surprise Bryson is highest. Knocking it 5 yards back where it came from. 

I just know Johnson is crap at passing though. Everyone knows it. You wouldn't want us to sign a player worse at short passing than Johnson would you? 

Certainly not. As I say in he comment after he most certainly has his limitations. 

I think in the summer we need a CM similar in style to Johnson but with better distribution, they don’t have to be a world beater in the passing department they just have to be able to knit the play together.

i think it’s one of the biggest problems we’ve had in midfield in recent seasons.

To answer your question, yes it’s this season

22 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Red Herring take Carson for example the majority of his completed passes are roll out to a defender 5 yards away

As I said in the comment I’m not overly into stats.

The question was asked and I felt it was an interesting question, so I looked into it and reported back. I was surprised the Carson figure was so high but as you say it could be throws, etc

Bradders is the weird reverse of so many championship players. Often championship players have decent skill and ability, and these days good fitness but a lack of understanding and decision making held them back from being premier league players.

Bradley Johnson clearly understands the game very well, but has limited actual skill and ability. If he'd had even a shade more skill, fine control and passing finesse I think he'd have had a Premier league career. This plays out when he's confident, he tries good things with his usual hit and miss success rate. When he's not, he tried to do basic things, with the exact same success rate.

However, despite him never really being a favorite here, I think he's always given his best efforts. If he's up for it and feeling good, he could work in a Derby. If he's doubting himself or not fit he might be Hull play off level disaster.

Archived