Worst players you have seen at Derby

Derby blood

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/02/2019 at 18:50, Jayram said:

Nick Pickering.

Wimbledon away on a miserable Wednesday night - we are 1-0 down and the ball comes to Nick in the centre of the  penalty area. Its virtually an open goal as he lines up the equaliser; the handful of us Rams fans behind the goal leap to our feet and....Pickering kicks the ground rather than the ball, launching the biggest clod of earth I've ever seen on a football pitch about 3 feet into the air. Cue jeers from the Dons fans and knowing groans from us. We went on to lose the match 4-0 and I have never hated a player more in that moment than Nick Pickering.

He actually won an England cap before he came to us. I don't understand how. He was absolute poo.

I am not having it, the Nick Pickering I saw scored the winning goal at old Trafford and that will be my memory forever

Bobby Campbell - classic example of 'what went wrong, he used to be quite good'

Liam Dickinson - so bad he never actually played for us

For number three pick any of those 3WM frees and loans - Tomas Hajto, Kevin Lisbie, Blessing Kaku, Gary Twigg and on and on

I would have picked John Robertson as one of the my choices but he was so fat when he was with us he would have taken up all three slots on his own. Indeed, we've had some shocking 'there's one more season in the old dog' type players over the years. For every Paul McGrath, Taribo West or Dave Mackay there's twenty Dave Watson, John Burridge, Kevin Poole or Dean Holdsworths.

1 hour ago, Ramchop said:

Gary Teale? Granted, he wasn't great, but is better than appearing in this list. He was an effective player who used every inch of his flank. Played so wide he could sit on the subs bench for a goal kick

Much better than Conor Doyle in any case

Gary Teale might not have been the worst player (I do think he was awful still, mind) but if there was a category for biggest coward bottler he would win with need for a count.

It does show his rather poor legacy when the best case of defence to offer in his support is 'much better than Conor Doyle'. I rest my case m'lud.

I love how you lot are pretending he no longer exists, if nobody mentions his name one day we will forget, WRONG, I’ve still not forgiven and I refuse to forget the torture of witnessing Mr Robbie Savage with a Ram on his chest.

ED95B098-3AAF-4C3F-9E0C-C052B4AA6BA4.jpeg

It's Clod and Earnie the alien for me.

Money - Bad signings are relative. For instance, Manel couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, but he was cheap as chips and did his best when we couldn't afford anyone else. Clod and Earnie were our record signings at the time and accounted for about 75% of our transfer budget on our ill fated return to the Premier League.

Performance - They were both utterly terrible. Neither was able to earn a starting place in the worst Premier League team ever. This alone would be bad enough, but when you factor in that both of them tended to put in good performances whenever they played against us it is even more frustrating, as it shows they didn't even try to succeed at Derby.

Demeanor - They are both ********* of the highest order and probably shared one brain cell between them. Clod took a knife onto the training pitch to try and stab a team mate, he gets a few plus points due to the team mate in question being Ade Akinbiyi, but it's still a bad look. He was last seen instigating a mass brawl in League 2, which is still several tiers higher than his talent should allow him to play. Earnie has one of the worst cases of SPS I've ever seen. He drove a giant humvee whilst he was at Derby in a clear example of over compensation. He did a ridiculously over elaborate celebration and cringeworthy dance upon scoring his one and only league goal for Derby. We were 4-1 down at the time. Feckless moron.

3 hours ago, David said:

I love how you lot are pretending he no longer exists, if nobody mentions his name one day we will forget, WRONG, I’ve still not forgiven and I refuse to forget the torture of witnessing Mr Robbie Savage with a Ram on his chest.

ED95B098-3AAF-4C3F-9E0C-C052B4AA6BA4.jpeg7

That's right, torture us. 

Look at that face, that used car salesman grin, that tacky tracksuit, those white snappers and all that hair

i hate him

TobyWanKenobi

Mikkel Beck was dire, Manel failed to show anything of note. Stern John is up there as pretty damn bad, but he achieved elsewhere. 

I remember thinking "how this this person considered a footballer" when Johnnie Jackson was on loan with us.

2007 was of course a goldmine for this kind of thread. Earnshaw, Failhaber, Claude Davis, Eddie ducking Lewis, Tyrone Mears, Laurent Robert, Ruben Zadkovich, Jon Macken, I would go on, but I can feel some of you guys' PTSD flaring up. 

I'd pick Mile Sterjovski. 

19 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I do remember not quite understanding how benny fail harder was as bad as he was, I just didn't get it.... I assumed my lack of understanding of the game was to blame.

He wasn't that bad, was just clearly a footballer in a team incapable of playing football. Had a relatively ok career after us - clearly not Prem level like.

Remember a massive amount of our fans slating Omar Mascarell and preferring that lump Eustace. Again, clearly a good football, just not right in the team. German cup winner and 10m signing at Schalke since then.

for me, the worst player I ever saw wearing a Derby shirt was a young Everton loanee called Nick Chadwick. Never seen such a talentless player, he made Sammon look like Rivaldo.

IN terms of Derby owned players, there have been a lot of players who were rubbish on the whole, but had an occasional magic moment which gets them let off.

Claude Davis is deemed as a woeful signing/player for Derby, but I think Kenny Miller performed worse. Moved his feet fast to make it look like he was doing something, scored a goal in our only PL win, but was an absolute Charlatan of a player for us, and in my opinion, simply on the basis of being a decent player, he was a worst player (FOR DERBY) than Claude Davis.

I have dishonorable mentions too for the mixture of talentless, past-it, underperforming and generally uncommitted cowards that follows: Martin Albrechtsen, Jamie Vincent, Dave Walton, Stern John, Bob Malcolm, Roy Carroll, Luke Varney, Candido Costa, Darren Powell, Nathan Tyson, Fabrizio Ravanelli, Warren Barton, Noel Whelan, Paul Thirlwell, Ryan Smith, Ruben Zadkovich, Paul Connolly, Brad Jones, James O'Connor and Robbie Savage.

The list is practically endless, it would be difficult to name all the useless players we've had in the last 50 years.

Some probably aren't as bad as perceived, they just happened to play after a legend left, so appeared worse than they are, e.g. I've always named Vic Moreland as one of the worst, but he did follow Roy Mac, so he maybe wasn't as bad as I remember (didn't a relative of his used to post on here). Similarly Spencer Prior had to fill Igor's boots (I never liked Carbonari either for the same reason), an impossible task for anyone.

5 hours ago, David said:

ED95B098-3AAF-4C3F-9E0C-C052B4AA6BA4.jpeg

Looks like he is about to burst into a rendition of "Tragedy" - and it was a bloody tragedy that he ever played for us.

Archived