My story in this weekends Guardian

Mafiabob

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Chester40 said:

Good on you.....well done on turning things around.

Know its a short story, so dives straight in... I just wish you got more of a real sense of the 'why'. Be easy to think...'what a total fool, never happen to me'...

For me, I’ve never focused on the why..... but I’ll say time and boredom are the biggest killers 

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

For me, I’ve never focused on the why..... but I’ll say time and boredom are the biggest killers 

Takes more than that to keep going deeper though? Portrayed here it seems like a straight line down..which most people would just think 'won't happen'... but presumably there are little steps you can highlight..e.g. hiding when you are betting, lying about amounts, not going out, knowing you can't afford something else. A internal argument that you are aware means you have moved along a bit more from the 95% who are in control?

Saw this story via Twitter also. I'm delighted to hear how your life has turned round, but it must be so difficult liking sport and having  to endure wall to wall adverts for Paddy Power, Coral, Bet365 etc etc. They make betting seem benign, a casual laugh on a footie day. I know it's no such thing if you have an addiction. One of my extended family lost his marriage and house through on-line gambling, lost over £20,000, came off it, went back on and lost about same again. He ought be enjoying retirement, but has to work into his 70s to provide. You've turned your life around....keep going in the same direction, there's so much more to live for.

Archived