Evans

NottsRam77

Evans is a decent squad player...as others have said his positioning is ok, hes good at winning the ball back and plays it simple.

However he seems very lightweight (like a lot of our team) and struggles to impose himself on games in a position where he needs to be doing exactly that.

He has the attributes to become a Eustace type player for us but he needs to step up and progress.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cannable said:

But they play the role completely differently. Evans is constantly pinching the ball back and keeping it simple. Huddlestone sprays nice passes.

They do, but Evans doesn’t do enough in the role he’s meant to play imo. Goes missing a bit like Bryson (may be tactical in all fairness) when really if he’s going to be the ‘simple’ defensive mid he simply needs to sit in and win the ball back and give it to someone with some creativity. Don’t mind my defensive mid being like that at all, eustace was a good example, but right now the rest of our midfield is such a non entity we need someone like Huddlestone to do the creating that others should be doing.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Evans is a decent squad player...as others have said his positioning is ok, hes good at winning the ball back and plays it simple.

However he seems very lightweight (like a lot of our team) and struggles to impose himself on games in a position where he needs to be doing exactly that.

He has the attributes to become a Eustace type player for us but he needs to step up and progress.

A certain J. McGovern was variously described as lightweight,  "Spather-footed" etc.  Remind me ........How did he end up ? 

Must play against Forest 

Stay with 3-5-2  wisdom in 

Roos

Wisdom          Keogh          Tomori

Bogle   Evans      King      Huddlestone      Cole

Wilson  Marriott

How many games has he played in? I know he looked great in his first game before getting injured. Then he played against Leeds where everyone looked a total car crash. 

Mad others have said he can be good at breaking up play and making the easy pass on the transition. I quite like what I’ve seen but like a few others, needs a run of games. Getting bored of the blind team selection that seems to go on!

2 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

A certain J. McGovern was variously described as lightweight,  "Spather-footed" etc.  Remind me ........How did he end up ? 

He had a great career. But he was one hell of a player.

not getting on Evans’s back but he’s not in that league. Like I said decent squad player at present!

He’s bang average, that’s the issue. I know a Reading fan and he’d forgot he was even their player when I asked about him upon joining us. Then told me he couldn’t remember much about him other than him being ‘ok’ sometimes. I didn’t have high hopes. 

Turns out exactly as I expected. 

Meanwhile, we’ve bombed out Butters and Thorne, ostracised Johnson, and brought in Andy King who barely gets a game at Leicester or here (now). 

For one of the top midfielders of his generation, Lampard’s main failure this season has been making midfield work. It’s the biggest issue we have. And our best two in there when available are not our players anyway. 

Progress.

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

He’s bang average, that’s the issue. I know a Reading fan and he’d forgot he was even their player when I asked about him upon joining us. Then told me he couldn’t remember much about him other than him being ‘ok’ sometimes. I didn’t have high hopes. 

Turns out exactly as I expected. 

Meanwhile, we’ve bombed out Butters and Thorne, ostracised Johnson, and brought in Andy King who barely gets a game at Leicester or here (now). 

For one of the top midfielders of his generation, Lampard’s main failure this season has been making midfield work. It’s the biggest issue we have. And our best two in there when available are not our players anyway. 

Progress.

I know a couple of Reading fans who said the same . They both said he's better going forward as well, so it appears this defensive role we use him in isn't really his fit.  

Does anyone remember a time when midfielders could attack and defend in equal measure and wingers didn't play as defenders and defenders weren't wingers.  It was so much simpler then .

20 hours ago, Ramarena said:

He had a great career. But he was one hell of a player.

not getting on Evans’s back but he’s not in that league. Like I said decent squad player at present!

I guess my point was Mc Govern was a squad player when he arrived from Hartlepool  , but he then improved his game and went on to be the player he was.  Only time will tell , not saying Evans will do the same , but at least give him the chance 

4 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

I guess my point was Mc Govern was a squad player when he arrived from Hartlepool  , but he then improved his game and went on to be the player he was.  Only time will tell , not saying Evans will do the same , but at least give him the chance 

Give him a chance, Some on here make there minds up even before a player has kicked a ball for us lol. Yes I agree it takes time for some players to settle in, but in modern day football, patience does not exists.

32 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

As I said he’s a decent squad player. Not sure how that infers I won’t give him the chance if I think he’s a decent memember of our squad.

He’s alright. He’s pretty much what I’d expect from a cheap signing from a division rival who was in and out the team. He’s had his good games. He’s had some pretty underwhelming games too. 

He needs a lot of effective coaching before he can be put ahead of Huddlestone on a consistent basis though. He’s just not at that standard yet. 

On 23/02/2019 at 16:25, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Reminds me of James Bailley who I actually rated and was very surprised to see him leave and see his career nosedive.

Bailey was billed as the better player when we signed him and Brayford.

Last I heard was he was in the Indian prem with FC Pune

Archived