Evans

NottsRam77

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not come into the team at the right time tbf to him. Not easy when you slot into a team not playing well. 

But you know Frank. Just because you've not been given a single minute in the last 3 games that doesn't mean you won't be picked for the starting 11 for the next game. 

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He's not come into the team at the right time tbf to him. Not easy when you slot into a team not playing well. 

But you know Frank. Just because you've not been given a single minute in the last 3 games that doesn't mean you won't be picked for the starting 11 for the next game. 

Is that meant to be an implied criticism or a positive point I genuinely can't tell

20 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Is that meant to be an implied criticism or a positive point I genuinely can't tell

On Evans? I would say he's been very ordinary but he came into a team that was grinding. He's just slotted into the "meh" performances 

On Lampard it would be a criticism I guess. He's forced to tinker enough through injury and tiredness. He does it seemingly at random sometimes. We all thought Johnson was out in the cold. Then he puts him in for Ipswich with someone else who hadn't played for a while (I think) 

Jozefzoon can go from not even on the bench and straight to the first team. As have other players. 

We don't play with high energy press anymore and it seems we play with very little instinct when the ball crosses the halfway line. The best area of our team is Keogh and Tomori who are consistently picked. 

I think it's quite hard for some of our player to grow into a role. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

On Evans? I would say he's been very ordinary but he came into a team that was grinding. He's just slotted into the "meh" performances 

On Lampard it would be a criticism I guess. He's forced to tinker enough through injury and tiredness. He does it seemingly at random sometimes. We all thought Johnson was out in the cold. Then he puts him in for Ipswich with someone else who hadn't played for a while (I think) 

Jozefzoon can go from not even on the bench and straight to the first team. As have other players. 

We don't play with high energy press anymore and it seems we play with very little instinct when the ball crosses the halfway line. The best area of our team is Keogh and Tomori who are consistently picked. 

I think it's quite hard for some of our player to grow into a role. 

Meant Lampard and yes that answers my question thanks as had come to the same conclusion myself but wanted someone with a bit more football knowledge then me to confirm it 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He’ll start Monday, guarantee it

Hes not as good as Tom, nowhere near. Looks like a 200k signing from reading. Surprisingly. Alright but nothing more 

But they play the role completely differently. Evans is constantly pinching the ball back and keeping it simple. Huddlestone sprays nice passes.

The first game he played I think was when he got injured. He looked useful to say the least but after that he hasn’t shown anything. 

Fitness issue / niggley injury ? Or as some have said, fitting in to a team that’s lost some form.

Give him time. It really is too early to judge

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

Quite like him. Surprised how hard a time he gets. He plays the role in its traditional sense; win the ball, keep it simple. He’s Newstace.

Even think he could play as combative #8 as well.

Personally think he’s always done a decent job of the role he would have been selected for (as you’ve described), but fans have wanted him to come in and be a younger Huddlestone, which he is not, nor will he ever be. 

When you play DM like Evans, you need the midfielders ahead of him to provide the creativity...which hasn’t happened.

21 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Personally think he’s always done a decent job of the role he would have been selected for (as you’ve described), but fans have wanted him to come in and be a younger Huddlestone, which he is not, nor will he ever be. 

When you play DM like Evans, you need the midfielders ahead of him to provide the creativity...which hasn’t happened.

People always seem to want a Pirlo type in that role but it just doesn’t work in a 433. 

The role is, first and foremost, to screen the defence. It’s the reason why in 14/15 we looked better with 35 year-old John Eustace in our side than Mascarell… even though the latter went on to win the German Cup and played in The Champions League. 

The reason Thorne was so good was because he screened AND could dictate play. 

If we still had Hughes it wouldn’t be a question, Evans starts every time. But our midfield’s lacking ‘football’, which is why Huddlestone is getting minutes. 

39 minutes ago, cannable said:

Quite like him. Surprised how hard a time he gets. He plays the role in its traditional sense; win the ball, keep it simple. He’s Newstace.

Even think he could play as combative #8 as well.

It took a few games of watching him for me to notice this, too.

Not all defensive midfielders are passing wizards or playmakers. Some just break up play, protect the back for and quickly recycle possession, often giving it  to those who are better and more creative with the ball. Thiago Motta and Sergio Busquets are the pinnacle of this.

We'll see the benefit of Evans when he actually gets to play next to Huddlestone, as opposed to instead of him. 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

People always seem to want a Pirlo type in that role but it just doesn’t work in a 433. 

The role is, first and foremost, to screen the defence. It’s the reason why in 14/15 we looked better with 35 year-old John Eustace in our side than Mascarell… even though the latter went on to win the German Cup and played in The Champions League. 

The reason Thorne was so good was because he screened AND could dictate play. 

If we still had Hughes it wouldn’t be a question, Evans starts every time. But our midfield’s lacking ‘football’, which is why Huddlestone is getting minutes. 

Sorry to keep tacking onto your points, but its this point that often sticks out to me when I mull over whether Lampard really knows what he's doing when it comes to the 4-3-3

I've been trying to figure out all season whether he just likes what the 4-3-3 looks as opposed to knowing how to actually utilise that system effectively. It's for that reason why I wonder whether we'd actually be doing better with a manager like Jokanovic, Dean Smith or even Steve McClaren.

Lampard's constant rotation/mix-matching with the three in midfield screams naivety but also potentially ill-knowledge. McClaren showed us all how important a consistent, balanced three in midfield in a 4-3-3 is. Does Lampard get that? Hmm.

Apologies as I've gone on a bit of a Lampard-rant. I'm not against him by any means, just not convinced and haven't been at any point this season. 

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sorry to keep tacking onto your points, but its this point that often sticks out to me when I mull over whether Lampard really knows what he's doing when it comes to the 4-3-3

I've been trying to figure out all season whether he just likes what the 4-3-3 looks as opposed to knowing how to actually utilise that system effectively. It's for that reason why I wonder whether we'd actually be doing better with a manager like Jokanovic, Dean Smith or even Steve McClaren.

Lampard's constant rotation/mix-matching with the three in midfield screams naivety but also potentially ill-knowledge. McClaren showed us all how important a consistent, balanced three in midfield in a 4-3-3 is. Does Lampard get that? Hmm.

Apologies as I've gone on a bit of a Lampard-rant. I'm not against him by any means, just not convinced and haven't been at any point this season. 

He’s got in his head - one linker, one holder and one attacker - which is right. 

But the positioning of them is all wrong. When playing from the back you want your #6 just in front of the back four, constantly looking to position himself so that he can receive the ball on his back foot and turn. 

The two #8s should be playing in the channels, looking to receive the ball to feet from the #6. Theoretically they should be in a pocket of space for them to turn and to then make triangles with the winger and the full-back. The linker should only drop deep to help control the game if the #6 isn’t getting a handle on things. 

What we have is Bryson and Huddlestone almost acting as pistons, taking it in turns to get the ball off the defence. Because of this, when either of them do manage to turn there’s one less forward passing option. 

They’re also too deep and narrow. There isn’t the zipped forward pass on, so it gets recycled again. 

I share this game a lot but they’re two absoloutely perfect 4-3-3 goals from a  tactical perspective.

Archived