Anybody else frustrated with Holmes?

Bob The Badger

He's possibly playing as well as anybody, but he could do a lot better.

When he tries to go past players he invariably does, but he tries so rarely.

I know I'm an old fart and remember the days of flying wingers taking people on all the time and loved it.

I realize defenders are generally technically more proficient with tackling these days and there's probably a greater risk of a fast break away than days of yore if the ball is lost, but come on!

I wonder if this short passing is so drilled into them that they're leery of going for it, but the one thing Derby have lacked in the games they have struggled is that moment of magic from an individual. Holmes can deliver imho.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to find it's best to give new players a season before we can really start to judge them.

You see it all over the place: top clubs buying the best of the best, and then they just don't hit the ground running. Keita and Fabinho at Liverpool being good examples.

Next season, after they've had a year of settling into their new surroundings, new way of playing and new club, I suspect the Reds will see the best of them, and the same goes for us and Holmes, Marriott, Evans etc.

6 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I find once he beats the man he then checks back to beat him again instead of either driving into the box (like he did at Norwich) or delivering a cross hard and low ideally. 

That just made me think about Alan Hinton. Jeez the crowd would get on his back at times for doing that.

He has gone off the boil in recent weeks, like the majority to be fair. It’s not helping him to be played in a different position every game. I feel he’s the epitome of a confidence player. When we play well he will have a blinder but if he’s having a tough day he starts running down blind alleys rather than into the dangerous areas. He will be a very good player at this level in a season or two 

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I know I'm an old fart and remember the days of flying wingers taking people on all the time and loved it.

I realize defenders are generally technically more proficient with tackling these days and there's probably a greater risk of a fast break away than days of yore if the ball is lost, but come on!

I wonder if this short passing is so drilled into them that they're leery of going for it, but the one thing Derby have lacked in the games they have struggled is that moment of magic from an individual. Holmes can deliver imho.

He's doing ok considering playing at a higher standard and having to change positions a lot. More frustrated with the team collectively (including management) as it appears we are being edged out of the play offs without a whimper.

I’m a bit shocked by this thread, I think he’s been the only creative player over the last 4-5 games. Admittedly nothing has come off (is it poor play by him or poor movement by others?). What has anyone else created that Holmes hasn’t? Wonderkid Wilson has done nothing, Hudds? Lawrence, Bryson, even Marriott &  Waggy? 

#bitdrunk

7 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I tend to find it's best to give new players a season before we can really start to judge them.

You see it all over the place: top clubs buying the best of the best, and then they just don't hit the ground running. Keita and Fabinho at Liverpool being good examples.

Next season, after they've had a year of settling into their new surroundings, new way of playing and new club, I suspect the Reds will see the best of them, and the same goes for us and Holmes, Marriott, Evans etc.

Problem is as forever. We right off players before they’ve barely played a handful of games, see Evans, Marriott, Malone.... even Bogle. It’s the Derby Way 

7 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I find once he beats the man he then checks back to beat him again instead of either driving into the box (like he did at Norwich) or delivering a cross hard and low ideally. 

Like I say this is because he’s not a winger. I’m astounded he’s played most his career there, I’m no qualified coach but I can see from the viewings we’ve had that his strengths don’t lie in areas suited to the wing, they lie in areas suitable for being a midfielder ball carrier

I’m hardly surprised, since the 2-0 win at home to Hull we’ve played 3 different formations and I think he’s played in 3 different positions. Make that 4, he ended up at left back on Wednesday night! 

Definitely think he’s better through the middle, his ability to ghost past players in the middle of the pitch opens the game up and creates space for somebody else.

18 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Totally agree ?? He has real ability

we’ve had a fair few wingers recently with pace who could blast past a man. Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward with quick reactions and a touch of acceleration were great examples but Holmes has pace, reactions and  what I see as the 3rd element ... the golden feet / touch. He can do what the other 2 did and keep the ball under close control. He is so nearly a genius. I long for him to be fully unlocked because I think he has it in him to be a great player. 

27 minutes ago, jono said:

Totally agree ?? He has real ability

we’ve had a fair few wingers recently with pace who could blast past a man. Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward with quick reactions and a touch of acceleration were great examples but Holmes has pace, reactions and  what I see as the 3rd element ... the golden feet / touch. He can do what the other 2 did and keep the ball under close control. He is so nearly a genius. I long for him to be fully unlocked because I think he has it in him to be a great player. 

Wow! I'll have what you're on. ?I mean he's okay and would look better played in the middle, but 'so nearly a genius'? You do realise he's the little guy not the Liverpool loanee?!

There was 1 point in the second half on Weds where Holmes was hugging the right touchline and one of our CM’s was pointing in space for Holmes to run, but he didn’t. This tells me Holmes is someone who is given instructions and sticks to them rigidly, which I think makes him a good professional but leaves out any type of creativity. He needs to be given a bit more freedom to express himself, as he has the technical ability to do so.

Also, not sure why some are complaining about him doing too much. I think he does the right amount, every time he went past a man against Millwall he got his head up and looked for a pass/cross, and invariably either found a white shirt or put a decent cross into empty space where neither of our strikers were (their poor movement) Duane is 1 player I am not worried about

He is a good player and great for what we paid for him. I hope for many more like him next season if we are still in the championship. 

His for has possibly dipped but he always gives it a go. Play him on the wing or in CM though not full back please FL we need some creativity.

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wow! I'll have what you're on. ?I mean he's okay and would look better played in the middle, but 'so nearly a genius'? You do realise he's the little guy not the Liverpool loanee?!

Lol Roy. Honestly, I see a really gifted ball player. How you turn that in to a genius I am not sure, but I am sure that ....he doesn’t give the ball away easily. He can tackle, he can beat a man, has pace and thinks forward and can control the ball at his feet at a level better than just about anyone else in the team, and he’s got guts.

Wilson can hit a better free kick, Mount is quick and full of intelligence but I honestly think (dead balls apart) that Duane could possibly be better than either of them - right players around him and right position TBA  ( I don’t know yet if this is CM or wing ) .. yes his form has dipped a bit and I am probably a tad rose tinted but there is something about him that’s special I’m certain of it.

Archived