Midfield, eh?

Alph

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I agree that Bryson is having a dreadful season by his standards, but this is one of the most biased posts I have ever read.

Do you not consider the 2011-12 season where Bryson won both the club and supporters player of the year to be a good season? Your attempts at denigrating his outstanding performance throughout 2013-14 are utterly laughable. "Even that year though if you takeaway the two hat tricks he scored he barely got into double figures." No poo Sherlock! Arbitrarily removing goals from the record because they don't fit with your ludicrous argument will make any player look worse, and even then you're forced to admit he still hit double figures. What a joke.

So the 2011 - 2012 season is the only other season in his tenure at Derby you picked out, which was his debut season. What else has he done in seven years at the club? He has been inconsistent and average since the play off year, after which he secured a new contract. He doesn’t score goals regularly and cannot be considered a holding midfielder so what else does he offer. May be if we broke away from the glorious play off year and moved on we would actually do something. Most Derby fans are obsessed with Bryson, Buxton (thank feck he left), Martin etc. The only one who should of stayed was Hughes but then again we do what we have always done and sell him for peanuts. I admit Bryson was good that year but we should have cashed in then. He didn’t exactly rip it up at Cardiff did he.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

So the 2011 - 2012 season is the only other season in his tenure at Derby you picked out, which was his debut season. What else has he done in seven years at the club? He has been inconsistent and average since the play off year, after which he secured a new contract. He doesn’t score goals regularly and cannot be considered a holding midfielder so what else does he offer. May be if we broke away from the glorious play off year and moved on we would actually do something. Most Derby fans are obsessed with Bryson, Buxton (thank feck he left), Martin etc. The only one who should of stayed was Hughes but then again we do what we have always done and sell him for peanuts. I admit Bryson was good that year but we should have cashed in then. He didn’t exactly rip it up at Cardiff did he.

I picked out the 2011-2012 season because I only needed to provide one example to counter your stupid claim that "Craig Bryson had one good season, which was the play off year".

I wonder if you may be setting the bar too high for a player to be considered a success? If two player of the year awards, 250 appearances, and 40 goals in seven years from a midfielder signed for less than half a million is "at best average" in your view, I dread to think what you have to say about some of our more expensive acquisitions in midfield. Bryson was not a stand out player at Cardiff, yet he still made 22 appearances in a team that won automatic promotion, which proves he's still a useful squad player for teams challenging at the top end of the Championship.

Remember, I'm not arguing that Bryson is some sort of demi God, or is even worthy of a first team spot right now. I'm simply pointing out how crazy your criticism was.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

A lot of new centre mids required in the summer. Huddlestone missing too often, Bryson has been poor for years. Most of our issues this season have come from our midfield being unable to control games for more than 20 minutes.

^^ This exactly. The defence has been our saviour. And we have forwards who can score.

The midfield is where it's all gone so very. very wrong. You could see it at Reading on the first day.  The there was a brief spell around Oct when Mount and Wilson were on form at the same time, and BJ was doing a decent job as the DM.

But apart from that, it's been pretty horrible most of the time, and the results show it.

4 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

Craig Bryson had one good season, which was the play off year. Other than that his career at best has been average. Even that year though if you takeaway the two hat tricks he scored he barely got into double figures. People love Bryson because he scored a hat trick against Forest and nothing more. We have never recovered our midfield since Thorne went out injured the first time. In the summer we need three new centre midfielders, and more importantly one that is a good defensive midfielder.

If you take away the goals he scores he doesn’t really score goals is a new one.

Its possible to think Bryson was great (he was) and also think he isn’t up to much now. Revisionism does no one any favours.

14 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

*sits at the back and waits for the perfect moment to say*

WHAT EXACTLY HAS JOHNSON DONE WRONG?

also where’s Evans?

Played well at Ipswich and his pass completion rate was better than Huddlestone's has been since. At least he looked like he was trying to win a game of football. Main problem in my opinion was playing him and King together there (both a bit rusty.)

OK, so he's out of contract at end of season, but so are Huddlestone and Bryson and they keep getting games.

17 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

*sits at the back and waits for the perfect moment to say*

WHAT EXACTLY HAS JOHNSON DONE WRONG?

also where’s Evans?

been saying it for a few weeks now , he did ok at Ipswich , Brad in midfield behind Holmes and Mount , Lawrence and Wilson wide and Waggy up top

4 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

Cardiff got promoted mate…

10 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Don't show those again as I'm liable to cry...is it so difficult to replicate????

What a ridiculous question!  Of course it is.  If it was easy to replicate, it wouldn't be described as "Utterly fantastic", when it happens, as it would be happening in every stadium, every week!  The way we played for the majority of that season was way above the norm... for this level at least. 

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

And any Cardiff fan will tell you they don’t remember Craig Bryson much. 

He started 19 times, came on as sub another 3 - was used sparingly and effectively.

He was really good when he came on at Ipswich last week. But starting regularly and rarely being substituted this season I think he's struggling overall.

I feel Frank still has a lot to learn about game (and player) management - not personnel wise but in terms of what is good for them physically.

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Midfield did you say?

This sort of midfielder?

Let's duck him off to luton

You are a constant sort of amusement to me Kash. I had hoped George would benefit from some game time at Luton, but can’t even get in their first team.

You need to move on from 2013/14.  I am convinced if John Eustace was on our management staff you and Roy Mac would be wanting him selected rather than Frank Lampard.

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You are a constant sort of amusement to me Kash. I had hoped George would benefit from some game time at Luton, but can’t even get in their first team.

You need to move on from 2013/14.  I am convinced if John Eustace was on our management staff you and Roy Mac would be wanting him selected rather than Frank Lampard.

Is that an option???

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If you like that,you are going to love this.....hopefully be here in time for the next match unlike our saviour himself ☺

Screenshot_2019-02-22-09-53-30_kindlephoto-47476353.png

Oh Kash, Kash, Kash, Kash......Christopher Martin will be taking a restraining order out if you carry this on! ?

People walking past will think your name is Martin with that being Waghorn's shirt number, are you comfortable with people thinking your name is Martin? I wouldn't be.

Archived