Midfield, eh?

Alph

7 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

And to think Hughes was actually given to us gratis. Like finding gold at the bottom of the garden. Except we polished it for a few years and then let the dustman chuck it on the tip in exchange for a bag of pegs. Utter lunacy.

Unbelievable isn't it...

The players we have let slip through our fingers over the past few years just to be replaced by worse and at extra bloody cost!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I think this individual over the team could be the work of the management team rather than the players themselves going off on one. If you look at clips of Jody Morris’s Chelsea u18s there seems to be a lot of individual skill resulting in goals rather than teamwork creating chances. I know it’s youth football so somewhat to be expected, but I do wonder whether there’s been emphasis in training etc on individual quality rather than the whole team? I mean on the face of it having players that can pull something out of nothing isn’t a bad thing, but it’s a huge problem when it’s in place of actually working and moving, pressing and playing as a team unit. What good is a load of players trying to do magic when nobody’s doing the basics and creating a chance for someone to pull the magic out the hat?

Interesting. The odd thing is that not a single one of our midfielders remotely plays like Lampard. Maybe as a coaching team they have massively misjudged the league?

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Interesting. The odd thing is that not a single one of our midfielders remotely plays like Lampard. Maybe as a coaching team they have massively misjudged the league?

Think mount looked to be heading that was at the start of the season but as it’s gone on he’s drifted away from that sort of play. Definately doesn’t seem to be any midfielders ghosting into the box to get a strike on the ball unnoticed. But frankly is there anyone in the box like that? Or indeed do we ever work it into the box for such a situation to arise?

I think you’re second point is definately true. They’ve gone for tricks and skills over the ability to do the basics right, overestimating I think the quality of your average championship footballer. It’s a long hard slog and you need strength and players who can do the simple things reliably to see you through. We’ve got none of that, or at least they’re not playing that way. All just beckham wannabes, easily bullied by championship brutes, and with little other hope of scoring goals than long range efforts.

Weve had one pen this season. What does that tell us about how often we get into dangerous positions in the box?

Why oh why do we continually underachieve.  Maybe we are not as good as our sugar laden media spin tells us . We have been bullied , bypassed and out worked in midfield for a long long time ( including the days of Hendrick and Hughes)

Of this transitional lot how many really have a long term future at the club ? 

Bryson , King , Johnson (journeyman) 

Huddlestone ( eyes elsewhere ) 

Lawrence , Wilson ( poor showponys when the going gets tough they go missing ) 

Mount ( not ours ) 

Leaves Evans and Holmes ( squad players at best ) 

A complete new selection for next season required .... then there are the forwards .... crikey lots to do .

The midfield has looked like a problem area from day one.

I don’t know if it is Frank trying to keep everyone happy, if he doesn’t trust the players that aren’t ‘his players’, or if he genuinely doesn’t know what his best midfield is, but I get the sense that consistently having 7-8 players vying for 3 positions is hindering us rather than helping us.

In the midfield, is there a single player who has made their position their own during the season?

If we discount Mount and Wilson, that’s a worry, because who are we building around moving forward?

We have got some really good individuals for this level, but we are missing the blend, the sense of being a well functioning unit where each player knows their role well, and with each passing week it seems that we are moving away from the kind of football Lampard wants to play.

We really need the summer to come quickly, so we can reshuffle, recharge, reboot and go again.

This season is dying a slow and painful death.

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

Let's not forget the supporting cast. Holmes, Lawrence, Johnson, King and Evans. Whoever is given the responsibility for building through the middle, being selfless, feeding the ball and supporting it, dropping it off here, laying it off there, doing dummy runs and pulling opponents formations apart with movement, getting goal side and defending sensibly. Take a bow. 

In his defence, this is what Bryson does/did when not playing in the linking role 

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

Duane Holmes is just as ineffective as Simon Dawkins was. Tidy feet, no value.

Convince me otherwise. 

Simon Dawkins did on the left what Hughes did on the right but people didn’t rate him just because he had a different starting position in the rotation. We’re dying for a player like him.

Holmes is really good at carrying it through the thirds and constantly takes him man on

The two #8s are always too narrow. The width is constantly an isolated full back. We need them playing in the pockets just in front of the opposition centre-halves and rotating with winger and full-back.

Saying that, it doesn’t help that the only player we have who can play the ball through the thirds is Keogh. 

These are perfect 433 goals. 

7 hours ago, bucktwo said:

Why oh why do we continually underachieve.  Maybe we are not as good as our sugar laden media spin tells us . We have been bullied , bypassed and out worked in midfield for a long long time ( including the days of Hendrick and Hughes)

Of this transitional lot how many really have a long term future at the club ? 

Bryson , King , Johnson (journeyman) 

Huddlestone ( eyes elsewhere ) 

Lawrence , Wilson ( poor showponys when the going gets tough they go missing ) 

Mount ( not ours ) 

Leaves Evans and Holmes ( squad players at best ) 

A complete new selection for next season required .... then there are the forwards .... crikey lots to do .

This scares me a lot.

Building AGAIN which would mean another year of transition. 

If we could see something solid to build from then I would be a lot happier

Maybe one or two of the kids can step up and a couple of shrewd purchases and a loan or two ....   

Two strikers required also as competition and cover  and are Lowe and Malone up to it at left back ? 

Ffs a very busy summer or a long rebuild ?

Craig Bryson had one good season, which was the play off year. Other than that his career at best has been average. Even that year though if you takeaway the two hat tricks he scored he barely got into double figures. People love Bryson because he scored a hat trick against Forest and nothing more. We have never recovered our midfield since Thorne went out injured the first time. In the summer we need three new centre midfielders, and more importantly one that is a good defensive midfielder.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

The two #8s are always too narrow. The width is constantly an isolated full back. We need them playing in the pockets just in front of the opposition centre-halves and rotating with winger and full-back.

Saying that, it doesn’t help that the only player we have who can play the ball through the thirds is Keogh. 

makes me want to cry....we really could play at times. i saw none of that off the ball running, quick zippy passes and players pouring into the box in the last week or so....

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Don't show those again as I'm liable to cry...is it so difficult to replicate????

15 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Craig Bryson had one good season, which was the play off year. Other than that his career at best has been average. Even that year though if you takeaway the two hat tricks he scored he barely got into double figures. People love Bryson because he scored a hat trick against Forest and nothing more. We have never recovered our midfield since Thorne went out injured the first time. In the summer we need three new centre midfielders, and more importantly one that is a good defensive midfielder.

I agree that Bryson is having a dreadful season by his standards, but this is one of the most biased posts I have ever read.

Do you not consider the 2011-12 season where Bryson won both the club and supporters player of the year to be a good season? Your attempts at denigrating his outstanding performance throughout 2013-14 are utterly laughable. "Even that year though if you takeaway the two hat tricks he scored he barely got into double figures." No poo Sherlock! Arbitrarily removing goals from the record because they don't fit with your ludicrous argument will make any player look worse, and even then you're forced to admit he still hit double figures. What a joke.

Archived